Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Reasons we are down

A team which lacked motivation, direction and belief for too much of the season; an earlier management change would currently see us comfortably looking forward to a fourth PL season.

Hughton should''ve gone October/November time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing; looking back at the pre-season friendlies when he first took charge.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="mrs miggins"]one reason- not getting enough points[/quote]

Lets be a bit more specific on this Miggo. In our matches against the other seven teams in the current bottom eight, there were 42 points on offer. We have taken twelve, yes twelve of them.

That , in short, is the reason why we are going down.
[/quote]

I keep seeing this said but it''s not true. Sunderland were just as bad against these clubs. If we''d won two more games against anyone we''d be ok. Too many things are taken as read on here. Like the ridiculous claim that we''d have got more points if we''d sacked Hughton earlier. We may have done. Or we may have got less. I guess we''ll never know. But nothing that happened since suggest we would have got more.

[/quote]

But could it have been any worse than it''s turned out?

Our record for the season  sees us where we deserve to be, someone else might just have improved the performances and thus the points tally.

It''s all supposition but as I said, could we be in a worse position.

[/quote]

Of course we could. We could have been relegated weeks ago and finished bottom. Isn''t that worse? It''s true we are where we deserve to be. It''s always true. It was true last season and true all the time we remained out of the bottom three. As has been said we''d be virtually safe if we''d beaten WBA in Hoot''s last game. Most people, even the Hoot''s most avid critics, believed we''d win that game.

[/quote]

We haven''t lost the chance to be 19th yet  and only off the bottom to an even worse goal difference.

All relegated teams start with nil points next season so what difference would it have made.

A gamble ( and I know you are familiar with that term) might just have paid off, as it was sitting on hands for so long when performances were dire got the expected result.

the league table says it all,would be hard pressed to suggest any teams above the bottom 3 are worse teams than us, our goals for and against are pitiful.When you have to rely on other teams for your safety the writing was on the wall.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="mrs miggins"]one reason- not getting enough points[/quote]Lets be a bit more specific on this Miggo. In our matches against the other seven teams in the current bottom eight, there were 42 points on offer. We have taken twelve, yes twelve of them.That , in short, is the reason why we are going down.[/quote]

I keep seeing this said but it''s not true. Sunderland were just as bad against these clubs. If we''d won two more games against anyone we''d be ok. Too many things are taken as read on here. Like the ridiculous claim that we''d have got more points if we''d sacked Hughton earlier. We may have done. Or we may have got less. I guess we''ll never know. But nothing that happened since suggest we would have got more.

[/quote]

But could it have been any worse than it''s turned out?

Our record for the season  sees us where we deserve to be, someone else might just have improved the performances and thus the points tally.

It''s all supposition but as I said, could we be in a worse position.

[/quote]

Of course we could. We could have been relegated weeks ago and finished bottom. Isn''t that worse? It''s true we are where we deserve to be. It''s always true. It was true last season and true all the time we remained out of the bottom three. As has been said we''d be virtually safe if we''d beaten WBA in Hoot''s last game. Most people, even the Hoot''s most avid critics, believed we''d win that game.

[/quote]

We haven''t lost the chance to be 19th yet  and only off the bottom to an even worse goal difference.

All relegated teams start with nil points next season so what difference would it have made.

A gamble ( and I know you are familiar with that term) might just have paid off, as it was sitting on hands for so long when performances were dire got the expected result.

[/quote]

The thing about gambling is it''s a piece of cake in hindsight and also with other peoples money. WBA was the first point in the season where the odds were on the side of sacking Hootun. At anytime before that a failed gamble would have been seen as reckless because "Hughton always got a result when he really needed it".

Will we finish 19th? The odds are nearly 4/1. Without any hindsight and if I was using your money I''d have a punt Butler[;)]

Sorry if this has already been pointed out but on the subject of changing manager and whether it would have worked or not it''s possibly worth noting that both Sunderland and Palace went for managers with experience of managing in England - especially so in Palace''s case.

Cardiff and Fulham went for managers who were new to managing in this country/league.

And so did we in the end.

dropping 24 pts against the 6 teams currently with us at the foot of the table,very very costly.

While you can''t look too far from Chris pissing away the best transfer budget we''ve ever had on a bunch of prima donnas...

unrealistic fan expectations have probably cost us a few points in all reality. We''ve been in the prem 5 mins, yet people were expecting us to break into the top 10 this season.

All that harping on about our "once great club" - since when have we ever been "great"? We''ve had a couple of decent seasons in the top flight over the past 30 years, but that''s no different to 20-30 other clubs in the prem / champ / even league 1. We might have been "great" in east Anglia for a while, but teams that have been great nationally are your Man Utd''s / Arsenals etc. Some people need to get real, and understand that being in the top flight is not a right for a club like Norwich, or indeed Fulham / Sunderland / Forest / Leicester / Ipswich / Wolves / Swansea / West Brom / Southampton / Stoke / Palace / Wet Sham / Hull / Burnley / Derby / QPR / Wigan / Reading / Blackburn / Middlesbrough / Watford / Bolton / Charlton / Shef Wed / Birmingham / Shef Utd / Coventry / Portsmouth - we''re no bigger or smaller than any of these clubs really, and all will feel that they should be challenging to be in the top tier.

[quote user="Les"]dropping 24 pts against the 6 teams currently with us at the foot of the table,very very costly.[/quote]Spot on , Les.If other people either fail to see that fact or choose to reject it, then that''s a matter for them.Ultimately it''s the points we''ve gifted to WBA, Hull and Villa that''s done for us. Not defeats at Man Citeh and Liverpool.

stupid league table only shows games played,drawn and lost, goals scored for and against, and our points total, I had been mislead thinking those were the reasons we are down

Simple answer is because we were crap, manager and players defenders couldnt defend and forwards couldnt score, and the manager failed to manage to win enough games

Three of them

Chris Hughton ex defender

Colin Calderwood ex defender

Paul Trollope ex midfielder

You''d think we should have known how to defend but hey ho

Say no more !!!!!