Sign in to follow this  
worsethandeath

Why aren't people more angry?

The anger was slowly drawn out of me across the whole season. I posted about a sad slow decline i believe and it has been thus. The board only acted when it was too late and then in a panic. Thus is their first big step wrong in years but such a costly one. The board were complacent too. Now that is something to feel angry about.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fulham''s board acted earlier. So did Cardiff''s, Sunderland''s and Swansea''s. What makes people sooooo certain we would have stayed up?

[/quote]In most people''s cases, I would guess that it wasn''t so much certainty that we would stay up with a change of manager, but certainty that we would go down with Hughton in charge. Of course it''s easy with hindsight, but we were a one-dimensional team who lost the ability to even scrap the narrow victories upon which Hughton''s style relied.[/quote]

Well I don''t think that''s the way it was. I think most people thought we''d do enough to survive until the WBA game. There was no obvious point where most people thought we''d go down until then. It would have been different if Hughton had lost the players. In fact quite the opposite was true and he managed to get them all to play for him, even the unhappy ones like Wes. I guess a few are angry now because if he hadn''t been sacked last month they''d still feel like they got their pound of flesh when we was sacked after relegation.

[/quote]I don''t doubt there were more than a few with that mindset. I''d like to consider myself relatively diplomatic when it comes to supporting my team, but I have to say that this season under Hughton sucked all the joy out of watching Norwich. I don''t want to play the ''I told you so'' game, because I had come to the conclusion that if the board were going to stick with CH we should all get behind him and the players to maximise our chances of survival. However, given those last four games looming large, the need for results became more and more urgent, and the players looked less and less likely to deliver those results. Other than Sunderland at home, how many games out of 37 this season did we genuinely dominate? Cardiff at home we were very unlucky, Stoke away we were very disciplined, and West Ham at home we powered back from a goal down to win with something to spare. Sure there were other games where we did well enough, or were unlucky not to win, but we played like a team frightened of getting beaten, and ended up too frightened to win. The writing was on the wall a long time ago as far as I''m concerned. I guess you''ll disagree with me on that score, but we''re all City fans at the end of the day.[/quote]

Nobody can doubt the difficulties we had in games this season. But were we capable of doing better? Or were the mistakes made when the squad was put together. Did Hughton do well to get 32 points or would somebody else got more? Can you think of any games where the players looked good enough to dominate?

I have always thought that sacking the manager can go two ways. I haven''t seen us sack many. Especially mid season. Lol Morgan was sacked close season and Saunders was a success. Worthy was sacked mid season but Grant failed to improve anything. Roeder was sacked mid season but Gunn failed to improve anything. So you can see why I''m not as confident as some of you others. But it''s a pleasure to discuss it with other City fans like yourself FTW. We need to be solid and remember how lucky we are to support our great club especially with this forum being infriltrated by lowlife filth.

Why get angry about something you have no control over? Anyone who thinks they do has a bit of a self importance issue.

Canaries World subscription for you next season the Hughston?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Fulham''s board acted earlier. So did Cardiff''s, Sunderland''s and Swansea''s. What makes people sooooo certain we would have stayed up?

[/quote]In most people''s cases, I would guess that it wasn''t so much certainty that we would stay up with a change of manager, but certainty that we would go down with Hughton in charge. Of course it''s easy with hindsight, but we were a one-dimensional team who lost the ability to even scrap the narrow victories upon which Hughton''s style relied.[/quote]

Well I don''t think that''s the way it was. I think most people thought we''d do enough to survive until the WBA game. There was no obvious point where most people thought we''d go down until then. It would have been different if Hughton had lost the players. In fact quite the opposite was true and he managed to get them all to play for him, even the unhappy ones like Wes. I guess a few are angry now because if he hadn''t been sacked last month they''d still feel like they got their pound of flesh when we was sacked after relegation.

[/quote]I don''t doubt there were more than a few with that mindset. I''d like to consider myself relatively diplomatic when it comes to supporting my team, but I have to say that this season under Hughton sucked all the joy out of watching Norwich. I don''t want to play the ''I told you so'' game, because I had come to the conclusion that if the board were going to stick with CH we should all get behind him and the players to maximise our chances of survival. However, given those last four games looming large, the need for results became more and more urgent, and the players looked less and less likely to deliver those results. Other than Sunderland at home, how many games out of 37 this season did we genuinely dominate? Cardiff at home we were very unlucky, Stoke away we were very disciplined, and West Ham at home we powered back from a goal down to win with something to spare. Sure there were other games where we did well enough, or were unlucky not to win, but we played like a team frightened of getting beaten, and ended up too frightened to win. The writing was on the wall a long time ago as far as I''m concerned. I guess you''ll disagree with me on that score, but we''re all City fans at the end of the day.[/quote]

Nobody can doubt the difficulties we had in games this season. But were we capable of doing better? Or were the mistakes made when the squad was put together. Did Hughton do well to get 32 points or would somebody else got more? Can you think of any games where the players looked good enough to dominate?

I have always thought that sacking the manager can go two ways. I haven''t seen us sack many. Especially mid season. Lol Morgan was sacked close season and Saunders was a success. Worthy was sacked mid season but Grant failed to improve anything. Roeder was sacked mid season but Gunn failed to improve anything. So you can see why I''m not as confident as some of you others. But it''s a pleasure to discuss it with other City fans like yourself FTW. We need to be solid and remember how lucky we are to support our great club especially with this forum being infriltrated by lowlife filth.

[/quote]Interesting point - were the mistakes made when the squad was put together? Well spending £14m on two strikers who were never going to play together was a bizarre move for starters. I can''t for the life of me see how those two players were ever going to fit into Hughton''s system and style. It''s a cause-and-effect thing with the question ''can you think of any games where the players looked good enough to dominate?''. My argument would be that our one-dimensional, defend-deep-and-counter tactics coupled with meaningless and rarely incisive possession in the defensive two-thirds of the pitch set those players up to fail. Much as the ''anyone could have done better than Hughton'' argument is facile, at no point this season did we engender the confidence in our players to go and attack the opposition, and the consequence was no back-to-back victories, pitiful away performances and players struggling badly for form, particularly attacking players. So in summary, I genuinely believe we would have stood a much better chance of survival if we''d made a change before the January window. We''ll never know, I guess - all I hope is that whoever comes in to take control of this great club sees it as a priority to get us playing like a great team, taking the game to the opposition and playing with craft, passion and purpose.

As far as I am concerned, after over 40 years supporting NCFC you get used to it. I don''t get angry when we get relegated, nor do I go overboard with the celebrations when we get promoted.If you don''t like the ups and downs, don''t be a football supporter. Or go and support Ipswich - they are looking forward to their thirteenth consecutive season in the Championship. Personally, I would rather have had our last twelve seasons than their last twelve.....

Feedthewolf, it''s an interesting point. I am of the belief that Hughton missed out on some key signings in the summer, which led him to emphasise a "safety first" style of play which was to keep it tight and try and nick a goal. To be fair, this worked okay when confidence was relatively high.

When the fan pressure became too much, he tried to change the style with disasterous consequences. Our rapid progression has finally caught up with us, and it will now be a period of transition. I would not be surprised to see McNally leave in the close season, and I think that would leave us with serious difficulties.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]A lot of people had wanted Hughton gone for a long time. Anyone who couldnt see what was happening until the WBA game cant have been looking very hard.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Interesting point - were the mistakes made when the squad was put together? Well spending £14m on two strikers who were never going to play together was a bizarre move for starters. I can''t for the life of me see how those two players were ever going to fit into Hughton''s system and style. It''s a cause-and-effect thing with the question ''can you think of any games where the players looked good enough to dominate?''. My argument would be that our one-dimensional, defend-deep-and-counter tactics coupled with meaningless and rarely incisive possession in the defensive two-thirds of the pitch set those players up to fail. Much as the ''anyone could have done better than Hughton'' argument is facile, at no point this season did we engender the confidence in our players to go and attack the opposition, and the consequence was no back-to-back victories, pitiful away performances and players struggling badly for form, particularly attacking players. So in summary, I genuinely believe we would have stood a much better chance of survival if we''d made a change before the January window. We''ll never know, I guess - all I hope is that whoever comes in to take control of this great club sees it as a priority to get us playing like a great team, taking the game to the opposition and playing with craft, passion and purpose.[/quote]

I don''t know the answers to that. I asked Hughton in October if he envisaged playing them together and he said maybe on occasion with Hooper playing behind RVW but not often with two up front. I do think they were signed to play as he played them. But neither looked capable of being effective in one up front situation. But once you''ve done your dough you''re stuck with what you have.

Here''s hoping for better next season.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]A lot of people had wanted Hughton gone for a long time. Anyone who couldnt see what was happening until the WBA game cant have been looking very hard.[/quote]

Well you can count McNally amongst those who can''t have been looking very hard. Why would he behave like that?

Good posts on here. While our overall level of performance was poor for a long time, my personal view is that it was only after the WBA game that we were looking relegation in the face. Until then I thought Hughton would see us over the line - just - and we would change manager in the summer. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we will never know whether CH would have pulled some rabbits out of the hat. NA had an impossible job but I think he got more out of the players and sussed who was up for the fight and who wasn''t. A big rebuilding job in prospect over the summer for which we''ll need a savvy and shrewd Ch Exec. I sincerely trust that the Board and David McNally provide the stability we''ll need. Many will blame them but we can''t forget where we were before DMcN was appointed. I believe they''ll learn from our mistakes this season. OTBC.

I''m far too tired from this season to be angry. I''m far more concerned than angry.I have only experienced relegation from the premier league once. in 2005. I was at that fulham game and I was only 11, but that feeling shot deep into me, and I feel more or less the same now.the only releaf I had then were multiple Fulham fans come up to my family and I and say how we were too good to be in the championship, and we will be right back in the prem in 2006. that clearly didn''t happen, and this time we''re in a much more curious situation.

"Relegation is worse than death... in Footballing terms." - that is from our CEO, McNally. what does that mean exactly? well for one, it obviously means a huge loss in TV revenue, but that''s a given. What I''m more concerned about is where this puts us in terms of affording wages, and players wanting out.I''m only truly desperate for a few players to stay with us. Players I think will provide the moral and skill needed for us to blast through the league. they are Ruddy, Martin, Fer, Tettey, Snodgrass, E+R benno and Redmond. of those, the only ones I''m 99% sure we will keep are Tettey, Martin and the two Bennetts, and that for me is a huge concern. If we lose Hooper and Wolfy, it would be a disappointment, but I don''t believe it will be a huge effort to lure proven championship goalscorers to our club. For the next season, that''s exactly what we need, proven championship scorers (for the record, I think we will keep Hooper, as his past season wouldn''t of attracted many suitors, and he is, at the very least, a proven championship goalscorer.)and the last subject, which I won''t/don''t think I need to go in to depth on, is our new "chosen one" - A manager we know can get us back to the prem.it will be an interesting season, one I am slightly excited for, and I''m sure when I''m out of mourning, will be exstatic to get going - and *knock on wood* see us winning week-in-week-out

1. Because Hooooghton wasnt in charge when it actually happened, had he been, then this board would have been electric and the insults would have been flying big time.

2. Because its only football........or should I say "Soccer" for one or two on this board

3. Because after not going for it at Chelsea in those last 10 minutues or so, we had a few days to get used to the fact that we would be relegated by Sunderland beating West Brom.....although there were a few who seemed to genuinely believe Sunderland would not get the minimum one point required from their two final games.......... 

Because McNally boxed himself in by talking about managerial changes when in the bottom 3. So we hover at fourth bottom until it''s too late to make a successful change with the last remaining games.

Hughton bought players who weren''t suited for the PL or couldn''t be bothered.

A lot of the players were brave keyboard warriors on Twitter and then went AWOL on the pitch.

People saw this coming and waited for the inevitable after the West Ham game.

We got fed up with the PL and being turned over by teams we could have beaten.

With so many plastics on this board is it little wonder that they are not that fussed. Me I follow home and away spend large amounts of time and effort in supporting the team and it hurts like hell. Sitting in Dubai or USA watching streams of a team you have no connection with won''t generate the same feeling.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]With so many plastics on this board is it little wonder that they are not that fussed. Me I follow home and away spend large amounts of time and effort in supporting the team and it hurts like hell. Sitting in Dubai or USA watching streams of a team you have no connection with won''t generate the same feeling.[/quote]

Troll tries to sound like a real person shock! 2/10 for effort.

Robert Brompton

I''m angry, disappointed etc but what can we do apart from supporting our team? Most of is know where it went wrong and what wasn''t done sooner. It''s annoying because it was so avoidable. Up until the WBA game, I thought we would just about limp over the line.

Can''t do anything about it now. OTBC

got to agree, all my anger was after the Fulham game, I never expected us to get out of it with the last 4 games.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]With so many plastics on this board is it little wonder that they are not that fussed. Me I follow home and away spend large amounts of time and effort in supporting the team and it hurts like hell. Sitting in Dubai or USA watching streams of a team you have no connection with won''t generate the same feeling.[/quote]No connection with? I''m incredibly shocked you have spent so much time on here other than TWTD. If you think it''s easy (possible) to just stop supporting your team because you''ve moved far away, then I''m 100% sure you are not a Norwich supporter.

Javier, WC is not a Norwich fan & has been rejoicing in his trolling on here and TWTD in his true guise for sometime, let him play whilst he still can, him and his other user names.

Why I am not angry?

Same as everyone else. Its been and gone. What are the perceived seven stages of grief, grief being an emotive word as this is, after all, "only" football-but lets apply them nonetheless...

1. Shock & Denial- probably the FA Cup defeat at home to Luton.

2. Pain & Guilt- immediate aftermath of above.

3. Anger & Bargaining- from around January last year, thats when the anger started to set in, the realisation that something special was being lost and opportunities were being missed, the bargaining were the first suggestions that change was needed and the suggestions that followed along with the debate.

4. Depression, Reflection, Loneliness- The depression was realising that the slump wasn''t temporary but had set in, big time as typified by our por start to the season and acceptance that last seasons dour football had not been a means to an end but was ongoing, something that was not good to reflect upon at all.

5. The upward turn- the grim realisation that we were likely to go down was followed by the optimism that something good might come of it, the slight upward turn that came with Hughton''s dismissal and the fact that change had, at last, been instigated.

6. Reconstruction and Working Through-and thats probably where I am now on the football side of things! Its happened, we''re starting to think what might lie ahead, laying the foundations for supporting the club from the off in this new stage of its life, starting with day 1-today.

7. Acceptance and Hope-starting in the Summer and building up to that crescendo of hope that peaks in the first home league game of next season-and, be it Brentford, Bournemouth, Birmingham, whoever-bring it on!

So the anger went some time ago. Its certainly, for me, the least disappointing of all of our top flight relegations as it seemed so inevitable for so long and there is, or has been, a certain "we deserve it" aspect about it. But we''ll be back. I hope that process starts this morning and the club reacts with the support rather than reflecting with us. Time to move on.

As said by a few on here. The Premiership for a club like Norwich isn''t a barrel of laughs. I know the Championship means a lot less money, and is a tough league to get out of. I know these things, but I genuinely think a majority of games next year will be competitive and umm entertaining, can you say the same of this year? Half the games this year seemed like a defence vs attack training exercise, the Premiership is geared up for fans in Asia to enjoy Liverpool vs Man City or to see Man City smash Norwich, it''s not designed to be an even competitive league.The mass panic to stay in the land of milk and honey has also affected and infected the clubs natural DNA. The panic I think directly led to an uneven transfer policy, suffocated the playing staff and caused deep divisions between squad and fans.I''m sad we are relegated but not entirely sad to be out of the division, I know lots of people will say how shortsighted I''m being but it''s just how I feel, can''t help it.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]"You may argue about parachute payments but look at QPR, Blackburn (with 25-30 goal a season Rhodes), Reading."Don''t forget we will be going down with over 60million over 3 times more than any of those teams[/quote]

That will soon be gone in that league over 5 seasons

I''m sure the board wanted us relegated so they wouldn''t have to rebuild the stadium

There excuse now not to up the capacity

but McNally has already said that the original plan was after 3 seasons in the prem, but that was put on the back burner following a study by the UEA, which showed we could keep filling capacity up to around 32k, but the cost of which the expansion would cost wouldn''t make sense as of then.