Sign in to follow this  
CanaryFrom1979

Selling Players Now - Alternatives to this

Accepting Jonas G, Becchio and Elmander return to sender, Nash is replaced by the returning Rudd then who should or more pertinent could we sell on.

Bassong is most likely to leave - he strikes me as typical of a certain type of player, happy to bench warm, but if looking for matches moves down to a lesser club, if the club hits trouble he merely moves on (to QPR or Leceister or any club with a suitable wage bill)

As to the rest, can Wolf, Hooper and Fer et al realistically raise enough transfer fee today?

Rather than a fire sale, give the players two options, stay and prove their talent (Wolf is far better than we have seen than the either injured or wasted asset), if they hit form NCFC have a better chance of getting a decent resale value and players are incentivised to perform if they want a move (which could be up for discussion in Jan or next summer), the second option is to allow season long loans but not transfers, the reasoning being the same as the first option.

I suggest this because I can see noting to be gained from selling at the lower end of achievable transfer values and then having to spend significant amounts (for NCFC) on new players after promotion.

It will be interesting to see how the McNally deals with the inevitable transfer requests. I hope we cling on to our core squad rather than resort to a firesale. thankfully we are in a relatively strong position financially and i suspect only very good bids will be accepted.

I really don''t understand why people think these players are now worthless. Or worth a lot less.

Sure you might knock off a bit because of a poor season. But players aren''t signed on the back of one season, otherwise scouts wouldn''t be necessary you''d just have someone sitting on their computer going over stats and watching youtube vids.

Anyone that wants to sign Hooper/Wolfie/Fer/Snod/Ruddy/Whoever they will be looking at their abilities, wether or not they fit in the team. Not how poorly they did this season. Clearly we won''t sell players at a big loss, but if any of the players I mentioned do go it won''t be at a loss (or less than you''d expect for a player of their abilities re Snoddy and Ruddy) because of this season.

Anyone who requests a transfer should be allowed to leave. Any player who isn''t 100% committed to the cause next season will have an adverse affect on the campaign. It''s a long slog of a season in the Championship - every player needs to be eyeball-poppingly up for it for us to be hitting those promotion spots.

It may not be entirely under Norwich''s control - if players have relegation release clauses (which I would expect several do) then Norwich''s hand will be forced into selling and possibly below market value. 

I that Ricky will go on loan somewhere, with Norwich getting a decent fee upfront, with more to follow if his new club deem him a success. Germany or Italy seem likely destinations to me.

Well spotted, did mean to include Becchio as a player to get off the wage bill now, rather than as a loan

I am still baffled as to how he ended up here though, did L**ds mug us offloading a player they didn''t want on the wage bill?, did the management team have any plans for him?

My point in this post was to suggest an alternative to a summer fire sale (more than likely selling at a loss), and possibly incentivising players to stay and lead the fight back.

If anyone else has any thoughts I would be interested in hearing them.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I really don''t understand why people think these players are now worthless. Or worth a lot less. Sure you might knock off a bit because of a poor season. But players aren''t signed on the back of one season, otherwise scouts wouldn''t be necessary you''d just have someone sitting on their computer going over stats and watching youtube vids. Anyone that wants to sign Hooper/Wolfie/Fer/Snod/Ruddy/Whoever they will be looking at their abilities, wether or not they fit in the team. Not how poorly they did this season. Clearly we won''t sell players at a big loss, but if any of the players I mentioned do go it won''t be at a loss (or less than you''d expect for a player of their abilities re Snoddy and Ruddy) because of this season.[/quote]

Ability only makes up a proportion of the transfer fee though.

Which ever way you look at it, Norwich need to get players off their books, the sooner rather than later - buying clubs know Norwich are in a situation where players have to be sold, so prices fall straight away. It''s impossible for Norwich to play hard ball over transfers when they will not want to be left with expensive players who don''t want to be at the club come 1st September.

Also, no Premier League club is going to be running up to Norwich with large sums of money for players who have just had poor seasons. A like it or not, Premier League clubs are the only ones who have any real amounts of money in Europe.

That may well be the case, but if there is any possibility in incentivising or motivating any player to stay then those options should be considered.

If Wolf or Fer hit form, I would rather it be with NCFC.

I just don''t want to see the financial outlay of this season be in vain.

If a manager can give even the slightest reason for a player to stay and fight for the club I want to see it happen.