Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

Norwich players at the World Cup

Well I''ve had enough of the relegation doom and gloom, so let''s think about the World Cup which starts in 33 days! Hooray.

The FIFA World Cup site mentions Yobo has been selected for the initial 30 man Nigerian Squad, so that''s one Norwich player who may play (yeah I know he''s only on loan).

Looking through the other qualified teams I''d say:

Bassong is almost sure to feature for Cameroon.

Ruddy will hopefully be third choice ''keeper for England

Gutierrez has a (very) outside chance of making the Argentian squad

Ricky has no chance of making the Dutch squad (in my opinion, others are available)

Fer has a much better chance of being picked for the Dutch squad, although still slim in my opinion, even for the initial 30 man squad.

That''s it as far as I can see. What do you think? Is it a positive for you to see some of our guys play in the worlds greatest sports tournament? It''s quite a rare thing looking back in time to see this happen. I can''t think of too many Norwich players who have played in a World Cup whilst being on our books.

I would not be surprised if there aren''t any at all. Bassong, maybe, but if he is the best Cameroon can do, then heaven help them.I''m afraid that I have a feeling that Ruddy may just miss out for the England 3rd choice spot. And even if he does make it, the chances of him actually playing are very small.Nobody else even has a sniff imho.

I don''t think Bassong has been in the Cameroon squad for over a year now - but that might have just been because of his injuries.

Van Gaal is a big fan of Fer and might make it - will almost certainly be in the 30 man squad.

Ruddy won''t make the England 23, Hart, Forster and Foster.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I would not be surprised if there aren''t any at all. Bassong, maybe, but if he is the best Cameroon can do, then heaven help them.

[/quote]

I know he''s had a poor season, but Bassong is almost nailed on for a spot. He''s features very regularly for them, and Cameroon don''t have many centre backs playing every week in the big leagues.

The others I agree, it''s unlikely they will feature. But I''d like to see them regardless.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

Van Gaal is a big fan of Fer

[/quote]

I wonder if that enthusiasm will extend to him paying us a lavish fee to take Leroy to Old Trafford when he''s got his feet under the table there......?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

I don''t think Bassong has been in the Cameroon squad for over a year now - but that might have just been because of his injuries.

Van Gaal is a big fan of Fer and might make it - will almost certainly be in the 30 man squad.

Ruddy won''t make the England 23, Hart, Forster and Foster.

[/quote]

I didn''t realise that with Bassong, I''m sure I''ve seen him play recently, but then it may just be my age and time whizzing by at a ridiculous rate!

[quote user="Jonzey"]

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I would not be surprised if there aren''t any at all. Bassong, maybe, but if he is the best Cameroon can do, then heaven help them.

[/quote]

I know he''s had a poor season, but Bassong is almost nailed on for a spot. He''s features very regularly for them, and Cameroon don''t have many centre backs playing every week in the big leagues.

The others I agree, it''s unlikely they will feature. But I''d like to see them regardless.

[/quote]

Do you mean in real life or in Football Manager? He hasn''t been involved with the Cameroon squad for over a year, he wasn''t in their African Cup of Nations squad and he wasn''t in the last World Cup Qualifying squads or involved in the friendly in March. He does not get picked for Cameroon - I don''t know why, it''s probably his choice.

Do you mean in real life or in Football Manager? He hasn''t been involved with the Cameroon squad for over a year, he wasn''t in their African Cup of Nations squad and he wasn''t in the last World Cup Qualifying squads or involved in the friendly in March. He does not get picked for Cameroon - I don''t know why, it''s probably his choice.

See my most recent post.

Oh, and I don''t play Football Manager as I''m not a child ;)

Anyway, I hope he does play as he''s good enough, albeit after having a bad season. It would be great to see our captain play against Brazil, Mexico and Croatia at the very least.

Yobo is off, that''s a given but he''s only a loanee.

There''s lingering hopes for Ruddy but doubtful.

Bassong is not likely either over the liked of

Nonenku (gala player), Chedjou and Nkoulou.

Fer looks like he''ll go now Strootman is injured but isn''t certain.

That''s the lot. RvW damaged his chances and Sweden didn''t qualify.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]and Sweden didn''t qualify.[/quote]

Yeah that''s disappointing as Olsson would have had a great chance of starting. I''d like to have seen how he played on the biggest stage of all.

[quote user="GC"]Hoolahan will be selected for the Irish squad..................................[/quote]I must have missed them qualifying.

Have we ever had one of our players do well at a World Cup whilst on our books? Or even play in a major game?