Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Iwan on Malky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27332243 Malky knows what it takes to get us up. He deserves a chance to show what he can do in the Premiership.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Hard to disagree with Iwan on that. Malky could be the ideal fit, knows what''s what and far from a ''yes'' man.[/quote]
Why is everyone so intent on getting Malky in? Haven''t we watched enough dour, boring, $hit football in the last two years?!

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]Hard to disagree with Iwan on that. Malky could be the ideal fit, knows what''s what and far from a ''yes'' man.[/quote]

Why is everyone so intent on getting Malky in? Haven''t we watched enough dour, boring, $hit football in the last two years?!

[/quote]

[Y]

2nd worst appointment we could make but very slightly better than giving it to Adams .Lets hope somebody on the Board has a clue but history would say different .

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]Hard to disagree with Iwan on that. Malky could be the ideal fit, knows what''s what and far from a ''yes'' man.[/quote]
[/quote]

As much as I like Malky would have to agree.

Looks like the idiots are out in force tonight!

A cup final/playoffs and then winning the title isn''t enough for you, clearly. As to style, his sides play decent football from what I''ve seen, but it is sometimesmhorses for courses - just because they were defensive at CR (which actually worked, btw) doesn''t mean that is how they played all the time. I recall them playing pretty well and attacking Liverpool in that final, for example, being dead unlucky to lose on pens.

Agree with you Branston.Taken from wikipedia.

Mackay signed a three-year contract as Cardiff City manager on 17 June 2011, with Watford receiving an undisclosed fee in compensation.[12] His reign began with a 1–0 away win over West Ham United. The side were undefeated in September, resulting in Mackay being nominated for the September Championship Manager of the Month in his first month managing the Welsh club.[13] Another unbeaten month for Cardiff resulted in Mackay winning the award in November.[14] He guided Cardiff to their first ever League Cup final, following wins over Oxford United, Huddersfield Town, Leicester City, Burnley, Blackburn Rovers and Crystal Palace in earlier rounds.[15][16]

The week before the League Cup final, Mackay signed a

three-and-half-year contract extension, tying him to the club until June

2016.[17] Mackay''s side were beaten by Liverpool

in the Wembley final, losing 3–2 on penalties, with a 2–2 scoreline

after extra time. Cardiff''s season ended where it began, as they were

beaten by West Ham United in a two-legged Play-Off Semi Final.

Following the success of his first season in Wales, Mackay was reportedly one of the candidates to replace Paul Lambert at Premier League side Norwich City,

however on 4 June 2012, Mackay turned down the offer to return to his

former club and said he was fully committed to Cardiff City.[18] Mackay oversaw Cardiff''s strongest ever home start to a league season, as they won each of their first ten fixtures at Cardiff City Stadium,

the previous club record being nine consecutive home wins. Mackay went

on to lead Cardiff to promotion to the Premier League, and sealed the Championship title after a 1-1 draw away at Burnley. Mackay was voted the LMA Championship Manager of the Year on 21 May 2013.

I was talking to 2 friends of mine last night, both Watford fans. They said that the football under Malky was the best for years, better than under Dyche or Zola. Maybe he just thought defensive football was the way to go in the Premiership.

I don''t think he was always defensive in the PL, but you can hardly blame him if he was more so away from home - many are. It is generally the way that Pulis plays and he''s worked out pretty well for Palace, winning plenty of plaudits.

I''m not for Malky and would prefer a complete outsider to takeover but there is so many on here who want him and Branston Pickle calling anyone who disagrees ''idiots'' so it must be Malky then.

Problem is are these the same people who wet themselves with excitement when Hughton arrived on the scene.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, as am I - but people who deride Malky''s style of play based on absolutely nothing seem pretty idiotic to me. He knows this league well, has got out of it, and that is more than can be said for many.

I didn''t see anyone wet themselves when Hughton came in, to me he seemed a reasonable shout. There were plenty who were totally unable/unwilling to give him a chance, though in part just because he wasn''t Lambert.

I just hope whoever gets the gig is given a decent chance before getting slated.

Mackay wasn''t that defensive in the Championship. His sides finished 9th, 3rd, 8th and 3rd highest scorers in that order during his 4 seasons in the Championship and when you consider the fact that only at Watford did he have a decent striker (Danny Graham who scored 14 in 2009-10 and 24 in 2010-11) it makes you wonder just how defensive he truly was at Cardiff...

Trouble is for those of us with long memories when you look back over the last twenty or more years when the club finds itself at this particular crossroad we have very good reason to be nervous.

Leaving O''Neil to one side as he was pretty much a victim of circumstance, in twenty years we have enjoyed success or if your prefer ''forward momentum'' with Worthington who as we know arrived in the Hot Seat by default and then of course Lambert.

In two whole decades with failure after failure and howler after howler we have every right to be pretty edgy about what the Board has up its sleeve.

Malky has got a pretty good CV for where we are at right at the moment, arguably it''s the safest bet and safe is what we probably need more than anything else. There is also a sense of wanting someone who can perhaps really give us a whole new dimension a complete breath of fresh air, let''s not beat around the bush I''m sure I''m not alone in wanting another Lambert type.

Steven Pressley I know hasn''t yet really got his CV well enough ''plumped up'' but I like him and given the basket case at Coventry he did pretty well indeed.

Anyway I''d be really happy if we can avoid yet another embarrassing Managerial Conclave where the next wretch is ushered out in front of the cameras to bestow upon us yet more good news. oh God I''m just thinking back to pillock after plonker that we endured being dumped down next to Munby....Noooooo

Get McNally in the outside lane of the M4, teeth sharpened and ready to really piss another clubs chairman off, that''d be a good start for me.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, as am I - but people who deride Malky''s style of play based on absolutely nothing seem pretty idiotic to me. He knows this league well, has got out of it, and that is more than can be said for many.

I didn''t see anyone wet themselves when Hughton came in, to me he seemed a reasonable shout. There were plenty who were totally unable/unwilling to give him a chance, though in part just because he wasn''t Lambert.

I just hope whoever gets the gig is given a decent chance before getting slated.[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just other people don''t call others idiots when they don''t agree.

My opinion on Malky was based on what I saw from the games Cardiff played in the prem and also the few games I saw on tv while they were in the championship. I also had a look on their forums at various times to see what they thought of Leon Barnett and Simon Lappin when he was there. The Cardiff fans while being pleased to be in the promotion chase at the time were not massively pleased with the football.

However if Malky becomes our manager I will be getting behind him.

I''m guessing Malky fancies it if Iwan is making that kind of comment. Tend to agree we could do with a no nonsense manager.

I don''t think Mackay would be a terrible appointment like for example Roeder. But I''d prefer someone who was committed to playing passing football, and we''ve not seen that since Mike Walker left in 1998.I''d rather we took a chance on a relative unknown who was committed to the old-school continental style that Walker and Stringer used to play, than get in an established ''name'' who might get us promoted but end up having to play generic British survival football in order to stay up.

Watched his Cardiff team at Carr Road this season . Defended deep whole second half DOUR. Yes he got Cardiff up but at a cost of £70M NO THANK U

Branston - good point.

"I don''t think he was always defensive in the PL, but you can hardly blame him if he was more so away from home - many are. It is generally the way that Pulis plays and he''s worked out pretty well for Palace, winning plenty of plaudits. "

It''s also the way Mourinho plays against any team better than his.

JonnyH -

"I''d prefer someone who was committed to playing passing football, and we''ve not seen that since Mike Walker left in 1998."

Good point, but have you got any names ? Brendan Rogers comes to mind, but he''s taken I believe.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]JonnyH -

"I''d prefer someone who was committed to playing passing football, and we''ve not seen that since Mike Walker left in 1998."

Good point, but have you got any names ? Brendan Rogers [sic] comes to mind, but he''s taken I believe.[/quote]Someone like Paul Cook would be a good shout, just won League Two and getting quite a reputation for playing a very free-flowing, open and expansive game.Swansea managed to find managers who could produce teams playing to a certain style that the owners wanted. Martinez, Souza and Rodgers didn''t have outstanding records when they were appointed, but they were all committed to playing Swansea''s attractive passing game.Swansea valued the quality of football highest and hence resisted the

temptation to go for the most experienced people or those with the best

records if their football was poor.

I don''t think anyone can comment on Mackay''s style of play unless you watched all of Cardiff''s games while he was in charge. It''s idiotic to judge on one performance at Carrow Road.

I think he deserves a chance with the decent record he''s got.

However, I also believe Adams deserves to try put his own stamp on the side. Give him 15 games and if it''s not working get Mackay in!

I have softened on my opionion on Malkay, because now the job in hand is to manage a Championship club with the objective of getting a quick bounce back in to the EPL. Based on that, then he does tick a lot of boxes, wouldnt be my first choice but would certainly not have a major issue. 

We have seen how former players have gone from heroes to zeros and whay does Iwan keep sticking his beak in! - he is no longer NCFC. He went to Gillinhgam after us. He never talks about them!

[quote user="Paul"]We have seen how former players have gone from heroes to zeros and whay does Iwan keep sticking his beak in! - he is no longer NCFC. He went to Gillinhgam after us. He never talks about them![/quote]

Er might have something to do with him being a Norwich legend and his heart is firmly still with the club!