Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

SHOULD CRAIG FLEMING HAVE ASKED TO BE RESTED?

Our captain''s serial lapses have been well documented all season culminating in yet another goal on his debit account last Saturday when he was unable to even get himself into a position to mount an aerial challenge to the opposition''s compact midfielder, who took emphatic advantage of course.
When I played, at it must be admitted a not too distinguished level (the Croydon Sunday League), I knew and I thought every footballer instinctively knows when they have played a poor game. It is certainly not necessary to be told.
I''m sure that Craig Fleming is fully committed to the cause and really has the best interests of the Club at heart, but I would suggest that he really should by now have realised that he has been a liability this season and insisted on being rested.
With a spirited run in hopefully on the cards, surely the man has done enough damage already and can''t be risked further?
But then if the manager with his Quixotic player favouritism could see what everyone else can, it wouldn''t be necessary...

Yes, but unfortunately Fleming obviously believes he has been playing well all season.  Worthy has picked him every week despite his often poor performances.  Loyalty to your captain is one thing, but when it affects the team you need to swallow your pride and admit you are wrong.

Yes, but with the manager''s blindness to Fleming''s faults, I suspect that Fleming would have been persuaded to carry on!

Im not at all sure that any player would ever ask to be rested. Not if he had any sense anyway. Let''s face it, Flem would know that his replacement could play better than him, and therefore conceivably keep him out for the rest of the season. that scenario(oops! sorry about the Worthy word)could ultimately lead to the end of his career with Norwich. Apart from anything else the manager would begin to doubt his commitment to the cause. So my answer is, dont blame the player at all about the need to be dropped,blame the manager.