Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Season appraisal

This is my view of this season having been to 9 games watched 27 live online and only missing seeing 2 games through commitments. I know I can annoy people, but this is my honest appraisal and opinion.

Optimism at the start with the new players in.Disappointment that Hooper was injured.Particular diappointment at Bennett''s injury.Poor display at Hull didn''t help Hughton''s cause.Bassong as captain seemed right at the time, given his displays last season, but soon apparent it didn''t suit him.That penalty and the implications in only our 5th game of the season.The Snodgrass conundrum this season and his dominant - not always in a good way - performances.The week in Manchester causing much angst - and rightly so imo. Terrible for fan morale.The revival after that just enough to keep us onside, then the Boxing Day Fulham result setting us back again.Hooper back, but RVW out.Tettey injured.Fer injured,  Howson injured when Fer came back made things difficultOther injuries.The form of Whittaker.The passing ability of Johnson.The continued lack of goals, even though chances being created.The lack of ability to get back into matches once gone behind - Hughton''s apparent inability to change things up.The Man City and Spurs games excellent, keeping Hughton in his job.The dire away performances towards the end.The WBA game. Adams as a last resort.

Players to come out of the season with credit?  Ruddy.  Yobo.  Martin.  R. Bennett.  Turner.  Tettey.  Ollson.  Players who had a mixed season?    Redmond, Hooper, Fer, Howson, Johnson Poor season (imo)  - Whittaker, Bassong, Snodgrass - yes, I know he scores goals, its what he doesn''t do that annoys me......Players who need to ask themselves questions - Hoolahan and Pilkington.   Others not really been that involved......

Overall - Injuries - Hughton running out of ideas - the away games at

Cardiff and West Ham where on the balance of play we should have won

easily and  - Snodgrass and that penalty.     The tone was set by the Hull away game and we never had the strong leadership we needed on or off the pitch. Snodgrass tried to be a leader with that penalty, but being selfish does not make you a leader. 

Hughton and the players failed this season.  Hughton got the bulk of the criticism, but for me it was never just Hughton, but the combination of the way he wanted the team to play, circumstances of injuries, new players  - the players that were here already struggling to adapt, the players he brought in struggling to adapt.  A sorry tale really, but one we can hopefully move on from, regroup and have a good season next year.

All summed up quite well there, with the exception of a little bit too much being deflected from the man at the helm.

For sure, the injuries we suffered, as all teams do, seemed to come at pertinent times and this has undoubtedly contributed to our fall and a decline in Hughton''s reputation. Some strange tactics and decisions did likewise though.

We could spend weeks picking over the bones but it''s far easier to accept that it went wrong and now is the time to start again.

There are 12 weeks until the new season starts and probably about 8 before training/pre season gets going so there is a little bit of urgency required.