Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

FA propose 'League 3'

New genius idea of a league between League 2 and the Conference, half of which being made up of 10 B teams from premiership clubs. All of the top 6 have supported it, so unsurprisingly so does the FA, even though 95% of football fans outside the top 6 think its an awful idea.

What do you think?

I have to say from what I''ve heard I hate the idea, though think they do have similar systems abroad. Why should these sides be allowed to come in above all the other non league teams, and who are the 10 B teams going to be?

Surely a stronger and properly competitive reserve league is a far better idea - such as appeared to just be getting set up. The problem is that they never give things a chance to work out/settle down before farting about with them again.

...so if you have 3 or 4 ''B'' sides at the top of L1, do you cancel promotion/relegation, or just say the team in 5th go up as champions? What a bizzare idea!

Not really sure why only 10 PL teams get to create a B team? what happens if one of them gets relegated from the PL? Can new teams be created at a later date? Who decides which teams have the right to create a B team?

As for the Idea itself, I don''t think it''s as bad a one as people make out, we need changes to the domestic game to help our failing National team, other continental leagues employ this system. There needs to be a ceiling on how high these teams can rise, not above League 1 would be my thought.

I don''t think it''s unfair on teams struggling in the lower leagues either, if anything playing against these teams may bring in bigger gates for them, potentially more TV money as undoubtedly the B teams will generate interest from those clubs supporters, potentially a lot more loan signings from bigger clubs youth systems that don''t have B teams and want them blooded against the teams that do.

So they will have more competition shame. Every time some millionaire takes over a championship side or billionaire takes over a PL side other teams that don''t have that lose out, football is unfair at the top.

You may not like the proposals but I think we can all accept something needs to be done. I think homegrown player quotas is the better of many mentioned solutions, but the EU rules on employment would make these either illegal or if not applied to EU players, kind of pointless.

The problem is the financial clout of the top six. If the FA had the bottle to tackle that and share the wealth, young English players would be playing at other clubs instead of picking up £30k a week in the reserves of the big six.

It might make the League more competitive from top to bottom, so you could have a wider pool of teams to pick from. Of course it''s easier to damage lower league clubs than tackle the big clubs monopoly.

A stupid idea, how does this help English talent? It helps rich clubs hold more players in their squads and give the competitive games. Those English players are still not playing matches at the top level, big clubs can keep more players from the lower league teams and not have to pay transfer fee''s for players who show potential.

I really dont understand how this helps englands young players

Isnt it supposed to be a way to introduce young players into competitive football? but if the prem teams cant get promoted or relegated how is that competitive?

the reason england are rubbish is because of the coaching from young ages. Ofcourse teams like Chelsea will be in favour of this, but we should be more bothered in stopping teams like chelsea from buying all the best young talent from around the world for their youth team instead of concentrating on coaching local talent

surely all we need to do is copy what everton or southampton do as their youth systems consistently produce talent

It''s a ridiculous idea which I hope doesn''t come to anything.I can''t see how having our bright English prospects getting the proverbial kicked out of them by lumps from the likes of Torquay, Accrington and Morecambe is going to help anybody.

Doesn''t seem to do any damage in Spain?

Don''t quite understand why so many are so upset about this, what am I missing?

Gingerpele, the idea is insulting to a lot of clubs in the lower leagues who have a proud tradition and history- why should they have to play against a reserve team with next to no support? It is also potentially very anti-competitive, if you think of the possibility of 10 B teams in League 1 occupying the top 10 places, then it would mean the 11th placed team getting promoted automatically if the proposed ceiling of no promotion to the Champ was introduced. This seems wrong on a number of levels. Also introducing another level between League 2 and the Conference makes it even harder to break into the football league proper, which is already difficult given the two-up-two-down system currently in operation.

Think about it in these terms. Norwich were in League 1 relatively recently, how would you feel about us playing Spurs B team? Personally I would find that demeaning.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Doesn''t seem to do any damage in Spain? Don''t quite understand why so many are so upset about this, what am I missing?[/quote]

I''d argue you''re wrong as the B teams that currently exist are there instead of other teams who already are losing out and we''ve never heard of, or even worse gone out of business. I''m sure a proper football historian would know.

Clubs should be their own entity with their own hopes and dreams for advancement, not an extension of somebody''s franchise, it would further rip the heart and soul out of football and just stinks of selling out. Improving the reserve league would be much better

[quote user="Jonzey"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Doesn''t seem to do any damage in Spain? Don''t quite understand why so many are so upset about this, what am I missing?[/quote]

I''d argue you''re wrong as the B teams that currently exist are there instead of other teams who already are losing out and we''ve never heard of, or even worse gone out of business. I''m sure a proper football historian would know.

[/quote]

The B teams in Spain were started because not enough amateur Spanish clubs wanted to turn professional to fill their leagues - some had previously gone bust and others didn''t want to risk it.

There is certainly not such an issue in England and the B Teams would only benefit the Premier League clubs, last time I checked these are the last people in football who need even more help.

The restrictions on non-EU players and requirement for home-grown players will help the England set-up to an extent, but the FA could help a lot more than stupid B teams by just providing more investment for young English coaches. The better the coaching of young English players the more there will be in the Premier League. Russia and Turkey have very strict rules on the number of overseas players in their league and their national teams have been underachieving for years - so even restrictions aren''t a magic bullet.

Why bother improving coaching structure or quality when you can whack a new mutant league in there and let the teams deal with it themselves?

Harumph.

I think this article sums it up nicely:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2623700/Greg-Dykes-plan-Premier-League-B-teams-end-disaster-just-like-Spain.html

How does slinging a reserve league into the league structure which already has more than enough teams help anyone, other than keeping fringe players at the big clubs fit. The FA would be better to help (even if it''s financially aswell) ensure league''s 1 and 2 have better first team coaching and youth team setups to cover a wider base of young players who might be late developers and not be picked up by the big clubs. It wouldnt bother me if we saw a tax on overseas transfers that then went to youth development in league 1 or 2.

How having Stoke "B" play Morecambe helps us win the World Cup I''ll never know