Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

What next for RVW?

Just saw this on the beeb site, from Lawrenson.

"Norwich striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season following his arrival from Sporting for £8.5m.

"The Netherlands international has scored only one goal in 27 appearances, and that came on his debut. It has been a nightmare for him but I don''t think the Canaries should just get rid of him because a lot of players have struggled in their first year in England, then kicked on.

"Let''s face it, they are not going to get much money for him if they sell him so, if wages are not a massive issue, I would be tempted to keep him anyway and hope he scores the goals to get them out of the Championship."

He does have a good point - if we can keep RVW it might well make good sense. A decent summer building up strength is what he ends, a la Iwan - who we also though was pretty ropey in season 1. Things just didn''t work out with bad luck, injuries and a loss of form, so maybe a clean sate is what''s needed.

I would hope that he feels a need to make amends, feels that he has got something to prove and does not look for the exit door as soon as is possible.

Ricki does seem likely to be a man of pride but nowadays it is the agent who calls the tune.

I believe the plan will be to loan him out next season, rather than try and offload him at a loss. If he does well and we go up, he can have another crack at the Premiership. If we don''t go up, then hopefully he will have had a good season, and we''ll recoup most of our fee.However that very much depends on what the new manager wants, of course.I don''t think he is a bad player, there is more to come from him.

Doesn''t look like a striker for the Championship. Has no pace and too lightweight. Send on loan hope he has a good season and we get a proportion of the £8.5m back.

Quite true, in the ''old'' days a fair number of the players would stay out of "loyalty" at not having done the job as a collective - we pretty much kept the squad intact in 85. You don''t feel the same applies so much to players nowadays - ££ gets in the way as much as anything, even though they''d be on a pretty hefty wedge in the Champs by any standard.

That reply was to Broadstairs, btw!

I did wonder about a loan with a view to sale - it would realistically be the best way to recoup anything decent for him - but equally if he were to come good, we might prefer him to do it for us. He certainly is far better than we''ve seen - he''d never have played for Holland if he was that bad.

It will certainly be be of our new manager''s early calls to make (assuming we hold the cards).

If his wages aren''t killer, I''d be tempted to hang on until at least January. If he is still struggling in the championship by then, I think we''re just going to have to cut our losses unfortunately.

[quote user="pete"]Doesn''t look like a striker for the Championship. Has no pace and too lightweight. Send on loan hope he has a good season and we get a proportion of the £8.5m back.[/quote]

Question Pete ...have you ever been to CR ?

Does RVW really look that bad on your wireless ?

I think that we have to face the fact that most of the £8m may have been lost, but let''s see if we can limit the damage.

I think that he should play for us in the Championship. He may not have blinding pace, but he did leave defenders trailing over a yard or two in Lisbon, and he is a Dutch international. I don''t think that he is as bad as his failure suggests.

He did not have the service that his type of player needs. Frequently the ball was slow to reach him and by the time it did he was well marked. I can remember crosses and passes which were aimed behind him, with no way of him putting any power into them.

Above all, being a striker depends on confidence, and if you lose it you become less effective. I think that by the end of the season it reduced both him and Hooper, which Adams recognised by not playing either although the cupboard was otherwise bare. Quite a few of the other players said that RvW in training is awesome, and they could not see why he did not bang them in as confidently in matches.

It would be a mark of his persistence and commitment if he began the Championship as one of our strikers. If he gets a good start, and we use him properly, he could make our season!

Perhaps he could consider the Job Centre........I cant recall such a disappointment since I have been supporting the club, reallt cant...

Dubai Mark wrote the following post at 10/05/2014 3:20 PM:

Perhaps he could consider the Job Centre........I cant recall such a disappointment since I have been supporting the club, reallt cant...

Perhaps you should just ask yourself why every striker who played under Chris Hughton failed.

Did they all become poor players overnight?

Or did they all lose form?

Or was there another reason, like the manager and coaches not having the slightest idea about attacking play?

I am sure we all have similar views on the fact that the style of playe certainly didnt make it easy for the strikers.....BUT....let''s not make out that RVW didnt have any chances, sitters....because he did....or that often he was found wanting by not making the right runs or taking up the correct positions...because he was.   

I''m torn about what I think he''ll be thinking. He seems like the sort that would want to stick around and fix what he helped mess up, but then he may just want to cut his losses, call his time in England a failure and head back off abroad. Unfortunately some of our fans have acted pretty awfully towards him so wouldn''t surprise me if he doesn''t really care too much.

Don''t like the phrase ''.....hope he scores the goals to get them out of the championship''. We spent all this season hoping he''d eventually score the goals to keep us in the BPL. We need cast iron guarantees as far as that is possible where a striker is concerned if we are to rise again first time.

It is a difficult one - I think I''m with those who reckon he''ll do better under a different manager/system, but it''ll be a big decision to make for whoever it is.

I think we should try to hang on to him for a couple of reasons:He has suffered what many players do as first season adapting (aka I Roberts, T henry)He will be in a lower league, so standard will be lessHe may be a different player under a new managerOur inept manager did keep swapping between our three strikers (as did Adams!), so none of them ever really settled into a team, to help them improveYes, he missed chances, but unfortunately there were several top class saves made against him (I recall a header, and his volley)I saw the other day on the beeb a vote for best save of the season. AM fairly sure poor old Norwich had 4 keepers in that short list making saves against Norwich, so we, and RVW, didn''t get much luck. They say you make your own luck,  but if it comes your own way it can make a huge difference.To be fair to RVW, it wasn''t just about him. Hooper, Elmander and just about everyone else failed to find the back of the net.I also think that, just because you have one bad season, your value drops to next to nothing. But here''s hoping he may, as someone has said, have some pride and want to pay NCFC back with a stay and better performances next season

Forgot to put...Look on the bright side. It couldn''t get any worse next season. Hey we might even see that Becchio if played, can score goals.His 19 upto half way point of the season when we bought him, shows, even in an average team, he can score in this league!

Jordan Rhodes is still in the Championship, and I think Blackburn paid the same amount for him, so if RvW says ''Im an 8.5m striker, I dont play in the championship'' I would point that out to him. If he says ''Im a Dutch international'' Id point out that he isnt any more. He may feel he is too good for the championship. I would say his star has fallen and that thats no longer the case. He has to rebuild his reputation and better to do it with us

Put it this way, if we had the choice of RVW or Rhodes, I''d choose Rhodes every day of the week. Think we should go all out to make him top transfer target, to spearhead us next season and guarantee us goals

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]I am sure we all have similar views on the fact that the style of playe certainly didnt make it easy for the strikers.....BUT....let''s not make out that RVW didnt have any chances, sitters....because he did....or that often he was found wanting by not making the right runs or taking up the correct positions...because he was.   [/quote]

Or ... lets not make out that you have any idea what you are talking about .....because you don''t !

Dubai Mark not covering himself in glory here.

RVW is a poacher misused as a target man by Hughton for the majority of the season, truncating and stifling all the attributes he does possess.

By the time he began to be used properly, he was devoid of confidence as a result of being comprehensively destroyed by Prem CBs in his ridiculous dysfunctional target man roles.

So yes, Mark. RvW was guilty of mistiming runs, and being out of position- but not because he lacks the ability, because his self belief was battered by mismanagement. Psychology is a huge part of the game, and we need to get behind him, or else it is fans like you banging on about the effect rather than the cause which ensures players failing, fail. Shame.

My concern is that if we get Malky in, which looks increasingly likely, his style of play won''t suit RvW. We''d do better with a big yet mobile striker in the Danny Graham mould (Becchio?), if we were to play in the manner I suspect Malky would advocate.

Mackay would have 2 up front wouldn''t he? RVW would be far better suited if he has a guy doing all the running for him and he could focus on putting the ball into the net.

If people won''t pay then id keep him.

The sign on fee of another forward is a fair bit anyway, and I doubt his wages are colossal.

Give the forwards some freedom and (hope) watch the goals go flying in! Get some confidence and he could be a different player

Alll of our strikers have had a nightmare season. Some fans point to Hoopers 6 goals as if that total demonstrates his superiority - but the fact is that when fit and under both managers RvW was flip flopped with hooper for the starting berth.

Both have suffered with woeful build up play (too many players in our flanks and midfield giving the ball away too cheaply game after game after game yet lauded for doing so), both clearly have talent and both are young enough to persevere with. There are very few strikers in the champs with their potential and we should bust our guts to keep both and find a system to make them fire - whether thats partnering them with a throwback target man or refining our build up play to provide both with through balls they love is for the manager to decide.

Returning to RvW in particular the comments that he is a total waste are as thoughtless as they are inaccurate and just demonstrate embarrassing sheep mentality thinking from too many city fans.

There is some truth in Lawrences comments and I like the suggestion that we keep RvW until Jan and see how he progresses.

The key remains getting the most out of all of the talented creative players we have - we just need a coach to extract that.