Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

we need to buy british

its what got us in the top flight in the first placewill hughes, harry maguire, jordan rhodes please delia

Agree 100%. We should never have abandoned the "young and hungry" model. It''s pathetic the way we blindly delved into the overseas markets just because that''s what everyone else does. Give me Jordan Rhodes over RVW any day.

Hughes could quite well be off the the Premier League with Derby, even if they don''t go up I''d imagine he''d stay or move on to a much bigger club than us. Rhodes is on astronomical wages and is a player that despite scoring a lot of goals doesn''t really do much else, you could say he''s like Hooper and Ricky were before Hughton got a hold of them. The Sheffield United lad would be a fairly solid bet though as we will need 2 or 3 central defenders this summer.

Blackburn paid around £8 million for Rhodes , he scores goals and they wont want to sell and if they did can you see Norwich forking out around £9 million for a player while we re in the Championship ? no of course not , we should of tried to get him last summer too late now .

Rhodes would have been just as bad this season as our strikers, it was the service, not the front men.

Also, this is absolute nonsense.

The problem was the front men and the service. In any case, to solve the problem we can''t just delve into the minor leagues of Europe or loan some nobody from Spain or Italy hoping they''re the next Michu. Back to young and hungry British players is what we need.

Foreigners can''t be hungry then? Are you suggesting the British are some sort of superior and dominant race that want to win more than anyone else from any other country?

[quote user="splutcho"]Foreigners can''t be hungry then? Are you suggesting the British are some sort of superior and dominant race that want to win more than anyone else from any other country?[/quote]

That''s not the point. It''s a lot more difficult for our scouts to identify a young and hungry player from a foreign league. Hughton even admitted making decisions based on watching DVDs. It also helps team spirit for the team to be mostly British. Look at the cliques that formed at Newcastle and Swansea.

Yep. It''s impossible for British people and foreigners to get along. Probably because they''re jealous of our superiority.

Little old Norfolk.

On the whole British players cost more, probably because they are seen as less of a risk. Scouting properly obviously mitigates this risk.

Oh great, the UKIP mentality rearing its head again. Look, it''s simple - We need to buy the best possible players we can. Whether they''re from Norfolk or England or Britain or Holland or Azerbaijan or Burkina Faso is completely irrelevant, if they''ve been scouted properly and they''re good enough footballers, we should be going for them! We''ve signed far more cr@p British players over the years than we have cr@p foreigners!

British talent is limited, and tends to be expensive compared with, say, African talent.

Our British signings last summer have not exactly covered themselves in glory, and I suspect that was in some ways a reflection of limited means and the need to spend cheaply.

I hope that we continue to grow talent, - we have some very good prospects for a couple of years hence. In some ways this is the best option. Above all I hope that we can spot those with pace at an early stage. If we are going to make progress in the EPL we shall need players with pace or very good skill, or preferably both.

[quote user="splutcho"]Yep. It''s impossible for British people and foreigners to get along. Probably because they''re jealous of our superiority.

Little old Norfolk.[/quote]

Your pathetic reductio ad absurdum "arguments" add nothing to the discussion.

We Need players who can hit the ground running. I''m certainly not against non British players who play abroad comming in but I think we''re more likely to find British based players will hopefully be less likely to need time to adapt especially in a 46 game championship season. If we do bring them in lets not make them central to our chances of success like we have with Fer and RVW.

Well either British or proven in this country. Olson being a good example. RVW a good example of not proven and a gamble that did not pay off, of course others have such as Benteke

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]He would have flopped just as hard as Ricky and Hooper.[/quote]Yes he would , but he may have dropped into the Championship with us where he is a proven scorer , RVW on the other hand probably wont fancy hanging around .

You can''t really blame our downfall on "delving into the foreign market". Ultimately we signed 2 players who hadn''t played in the British leagues before in Fer and RVW.

In the rest of the squad we''ve got Olsson, Bassong, Garrido and Becchio, later joined by Elmander, Gutierrez and Yobo on loan..

9 foreign players in a 25 man PL squad really isn''t that many, especially when 6 of them have spent the largest proportion of their careers playing in the English leagues.

I do agree we need to keep the core of the team British, but we haven''t really strayed away from that anyway.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]He would have flopped just as hard as Ricky and Hooper.[/quote]Yes he would , but he may have dropped into the Championship with us where he is a proven scorer , RVW on the other hand probably wont fancy hanging around .[/quote]Becchio and Hooper are both proven scorers at that level, if the next manager wants them I''m sure he could keep them. I''m sure we would have been a lot of disappointed fans had we had signed Rhodes over one of the highest rated young forwards in Europe with the thought that he might stick with us if we go down.Hopefully Ricky will have it in him to stay and prove to the fans why he''s the most expensive player in our history.

[quote user="STAN"]You can''t really blame our downfall on "delving into the foreign market". Ultimately we signed 2 players who hadn''t played in the British leagues before in Fer and RVW.

In the rest of the squad we''ve got Olsson, Bassong, Garrido and Becchio, later joined by Elmander, Gutierrez and Yobo on loan..

9 foreign players in a 25 man PL squad really isn''t that many, especially when 6 of them have spent the largest proportion of their careers playing in the English leagues.

I do agree we need to keep the core of the team British, but we haven''t really strayed away from that anyway.[/quote]

I agree and don''t blame those two for our fall however it was pretty obvious that those two were the key signings over the summer and it was a huge gamble that they would both come to terms with English football straight away. Fer had good games to be fair, but we desperately needed RVW to hit the ground running after letting our entire strike force go. The pressure on him must have been immense.

this is not about racism, xenophobia or anything like thatwe need players that know how to play a certain way, arent afraid to get stuck in, have a high work ethic, can do the basics and the simple things needed when playing in particular systems, this is the championship not champions league

young and hungry just about sums it up, people who understand what it means to get out of that league and into the top flightas for the money, yes english players can cost more in the top flight but its generally not the same when you go down, we will also be seen amongst the favourites to return so offering transfer top ups based on promotion wouldnt break the bank either

hughes to replace hoolahan (if derby dont go up), maguire to play along side bennett, rhodes and (hopefully) hooper to score the goalsid also take lewis mcgugan & grant hanley as welleasy ;)

Our transfer policy under Lambert was perfect. Buy upcoming talent who are already captains.

It worked brilliantly.

I for one was proud to see an almost entirely English team in our first few premiership games after promotion who were competitive. However it wasn''t the fact they were English that worked, it was that they were hungry to succeed.

I''d like to see a return to this policy of buying captains, however roll it out internationally and add players to the squad who are natural strong leaders.