Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Players to leave the club

I can see RvW going out on loan to a European club. Can''t see us selling him for what we paid considering his poor goal return. Hopefully he''d score goals whilst out on loan, then we could sell him next summer for about what we paid, maybe a touch more.

I think Fer will leave and I won''t be disappointed to see him go. Only played when he fancied it. Easy to see why a better club didn''t sign him up. Promised so much, delivered so little.

Snodgrass will leave. Probably the best player, along with Ruddy, that we will lose this summer. A shame but at least he tried.

Ruddy of course will leave for Arsenal or another big club. I hope he goes on to have a fantastic career. He deserves to win things.

Bassong. The sooner this man leaves the football club, the better. He''s a lazy joke. His career has been built on playing really well, then losing interest and becoming lazy. Happened at Newcastle and Spurs. We can''t be surprised. Get rid of him!

Gary Hooper. If the new manager isn''t Lennon, I think Hooper will leave the club. Perhaps Malky could talk him into staying but I think he''ll move to a newly promoted club or someone like Crystal Palace. Perhaps back to Celtic.

Pilkington. I think he will leave too. Even though he''d be decent for us in the Championship, I get the impression he''s fallen out of love with the club (if he was ever in love) and that feeling is probably mutual.

Aside from fringe players who we may let go, I can''t see any other big names leaving the club. Not that we have many other big names.

Too many assumptions there.

Too many opinions expressed as fact.

Let''s just wait until the new manager is installed and the close season unfolds.

There will likely be some surprise departures, along with a few surprise stayers.

Can''t argue with that too much, all fairly likely to happen.

I don''t think we''ll sell Hooper though. With Becchio seemingly off too, I don''t think we''ll get rid of RVW and Hooper too! Would leave a lot of work and money to be spent on just the strikeforce in the summer. Hooper and Becchio both have excellent championship records, so they should be given a chance in my opinion. Both would be the envy of every championship club, and we shouldn''t let the poorness of our season as a whole affect our judgement of which players will be right for this championship campaign.

I really hope Pilks and Hoolahan don''t leave, as they would both be quality in the championship.. but would be surprised if they are here come August.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I can see RvW going out on loan to a European club. Can''t see us selling him for what we paid considering his poor goal return. Hopefully he''d score goals whilst out on loan, then we could sell him next summer for about what we paid, maybe a touch more.

I think Fer will leave and I won''t be disappointed to see him go. Only played when he fancied it. Easy to see why a better club didn''t sign him up. Promised so much, delivered so little.

Snodgrass will leave. Probably the best player, along with Ruddy, that we will lose this summer. A shame but at least he tried.

Ruddy of course will leave for Arsenal or another big club. I hope he goes on to have a fantastic career. He deserves to win things.

Bassong. The sooner this man leaves the football club, the better. He''s a lazy joke. His career has been built on playing really well, then losing interest and becoming lazy. Happened at Newcastle and Spurs. We can''t be surprised. Get rid of him!

Gary Hooper. If the new manager isn''t Lennon, I think Hooper will leave the club. Perhaps Malky could talk him into staying but I think he''ll move to a newly promoted club or someone like Crystal Palace. Perhaps back to Celtic.

Pilkington. I think he will leave too. Even though he''d be decent for us in the Championship, I get the impression he''s fallen out of love with the club (if he was ever in love) and that feeling is probably mutual.

Aside from fringe players who we may let go, I can''t see any other big names leaving the club. Not that we have many other big names.[/quote]

I think RVW and Fer will both go, maybe back to Holland or somewhere else abroad. Bassong I think will leave although no idea where. I''d take the one year option on Pilkington that we have as he could be great in the Championship.

I am a bit baffled about everyone thinking Hooper will go though. I get that he wants to play in the Premiership but look at it this way- we paid £5m for him in the summer, he has a long term contract and he only scored 6 goals last season. Who will pay £5m+ for him based on that? And why would we sell him for less when he is a proven goalscorer in the Championship.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"] Bassong. The sooner this man leaves the football club, the better. He''s a lazy joke. His career has been built on playing really well, then losing interest and becoming lazy. Happened at Newcastle and Spurs. . [/quote]

Is that right?

I think you''ll find he played really well at Newcastle and that''s why Spurs bought him - for quite a lot of money.

He hasn''t even been that bad this season. Undoubtedly having the armband has changed the way people view his performances as a player. They can''t split him as a player from him as a captain. The captaincy has been used as a stick to beat him with but it''s not like he appointed himself captain.

I don''t expect him to be here next season but I don''t understand why the fans haven''t given a bit more backing to a guy they voted POTS last year. People have been very quick to slaughter for Bassong for everything they can. He became a target.

[quote user="River end canary"]Howson could go to the Villa. Rest I agree with.[/quote]

That would be a big kick where it hurts.

I was suprised Bassong got completely left out the last few games. He played alright versus Sunderland and i think it''s just that the captaincy got the better of him. I wouldn''t be to averse to keeping him as he''d be immense in the Championship.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="YellowNets1901"] Bassong. The sooner this man leaves the football club, the better. He''s a lazy joke. His career has been built on playing really well, then losing interest and becoming lazy. Happened at Newcastle and Spurs. . [/quote]

Is that right?

I think you''ll find he played really well at Newcastle and that''s why Spurs bought him - for quite a lot of money.

He hasn''t even been that bad this season. Undoubtedly having the armband has changed the way people view his performances as a player. They can''t split him as a player from him as a captain. The captaincy has been used as a stick to beat him with but it''s not like he appointed himself captain.

I don''t expect him to be here next season but I don''t understand why the fans haven''t given a bit more backing to a guy they voted POTS last year. People have been very quick to slaughter for Bassong for everything they can. He became a target.

[/quote]

I think the captaincy did weigh on Bassong''s performances.  He seems to me to like being relaxed on the ball - as last season when he got in tight situations and skilfully and coolly  gets out of them - but this season he has looked more nervous in those situations and has made more mistakes.  That said, he will probably leave unless we get a manager in who gives everyone a clean slate and he impresses. 

As for the others - Pilkington should maybe rebuild his career somewhere else - he has not really been at the races enough since he got here, although obviously has ability which he has shown sporadically.  Snodgrass I''d like to see move on and we get some pace on the wings again - everything seems to go through him - good or bad.   Johnson I would prefer to see go and we get someone in who can pass more accurately.   Howson still hasn''t fulfilled that potential - maybe one more season here to see if he can reproduce top form on a consistent basis.RVW I would like to stay and prove people wrong.Hooper I would like to stay and be the top goal scorer for us in the championship next season.I''m not all that keen on Elmander to me Holt was better at what he did. Hoolahan needs a swansong somewhere else.Gutierrez will presumably go. The rest I would keep - including Yobo if possible.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Johnson to go ? Christ alive.
Hes going to be gold dust in the Championship.

[/quote]

Be nice if he was but he was never anything special at that kind of level for Leeds. I would prefer not to have him starting games next season if we can avoid it.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Johnson to go ? Christ alive.Hes going to be gold dust in the Championship. [/quote]Not if he can''t pass better.  No good having someone who can break up the play only to have to do it again and again because he''s given the ball away.....again.   That has been the main problem the last two seasons - players unable to play the technical game at the speed and accuracy required, giving the ball away as a result and inviting more and more pressure.

If he stays he has to do better in the passing department.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Johnson to go ? Christ alive.Hes going to be gold dust in the Championship.

[/quote]Agree, we need a player like that in that division.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Johnson to go ? Christ alive.
Hes going to be gold dust in the Championship.

[/quote]

Not if he can''t pass better.  No good having someone who can break up the play only to have to do it again and again because he''s given the ball away.....again.   That has been the main problem the last two seasons - players unable to play the technical game at the speed and accuracy required, giving the ball away as a result and inviting more and more pressure.

If he stays he has to do better in the passing department.

[/quote]

Exactly. Unfortunately his passing has always let him down. He''s a trier, he gets stuck in but he lacks pace and his passing isn''t where it should be. Obviously the Championship isn''t as good as the Prem but it is still a very good league, very difficult to get out of and if we want to make a real go at promotion we can''t have someone playing in our midfield every game who gives the ball away as often as he does.

I think people prefer to concentrate on the one thing a player does wrong rather than the 99 they do right around here.

How much do the suspected attitudes stem from their relationship with Hughton, or with his team, selection or tactics? You haven''t mentioned Becchio, for instance.

I don''t know the answer to this question. I''m merely suggesting that a new manager with enthusiasm could reignite players and give them something to hope for.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]I think people prefer to concentrate on the one thing a player does wrong rather than the 99 they do right around here.[/quote]

I think that is a little unfair.   Players are a mixture of good and bad. If they were 100% good they would be in a top premiership side.  No-one is saying Johnson is all bad, or Snodgrass for that matter, but they have room to improve and that is what I want to see if they stay.  If we are going to get more of the same as we''ve had the last two seasons, with lack of incisive delivery from the right and wayward passing in midfield leading to pressure on the defence - and not enough of the decent play we know those two can offer - then we are not going to improve.  They need to improve or go.