Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Director of Football

Looks like from McNallys statement we are going down the DOF and Head Coach route and not before time. This should have been the structure when we were in the premier league. At least we will have a football man on the board now. Just got to get the right person. Neil Warnock for me in this role with Steve Clarke as head coach

Shut up with this neil warnock bullshit. i cant believe how outta touch people are with modern day football.

Everytime I hear Warnock on the Radio he goes on and on about that fact he''d be a brilliant DOF. I really hope he is not associated with our club in any way. Has a DOF ever worked?

[quote user="Barossa"]Everytime I hear Warnock on the Radio he goes on and on about that fact he''d be a brilliant DOF. I really hope he is not associated with our club in any way. Has a DOF ever worked?[/quote]The theory of DOF is perfectly sound, its just that most managers want 100% control, without anyone questioning their decisions.Russel Martin hinted at the fact Norwich City had lost their way a bit, and had lost our identity, so hinting that perhaps someone should have been gently guiding Hughton a bit more in some respects.But it doesn''t work with all managers, and really the key is getting the right manager in that is going to keep to your club ethos a la Swansea.

I''m not keen on this idea. I think managers should be in charge of recruitment, because if the DOF overrules them and brings in a player that they do not agree on, then it becomes awkward if the manager doesn''t play the player in question.. and can lead to the manager and DOF falling out.

I don''t actually think Hughton got his signings that wrong. They were all decent enough on paper, (not sure about Whittaker) but not signing a Holty replacement and then continuing to play as if he had done, was a huge part of his failure.

Hughton would probably make a good DOF.. Hughton in!

[quote user="River end canary"]Looks like from McNallys statement we are going down the DOF and Head Coach route and not before time. This should have been the structure when we were in the premier league. At least we will have a football man on the board now. Just got to get the right person. Neil Warnock for me in this role with Steve Clarke as head coach[/quote]

Lol, you are kidding right?

I don''t have a problem with a DOF position as long as it has very little to do with player recruitment.

We also need to remember that (dare I mention his name) Lambert didn''t need a DOF so it shows maybe we don''t need one.

[quote user="lharman7"]I don''t have a problem with a DOF position as long as it has very little to do with player recruitment.

We also need to remember that (dare I mention his name) Lambert didn''t need a DOF so it shows maybe we don''t need one.[/quote]Surely the whole point of the DoF is that they do deal with player recruitment and leave the other stuff to the manager?I reckon Karsa was pretty much DoF during Lambert''s reign.

Would help if I left the website. Idiot.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/impossible-job-how-english-football-can-learn-love-director-football

I think the DOF role has to be managed carefully. When it goes bad, it''s often because you''ve got two "personalities" in the DOF and manager/head coach role. Perhaps they''ve both been managers in the past and have different approaches and end up clashing. Then the head coach is working with players he doesn''t want and who don''t fit into his system.

If the DOF and head coach have the same vision for the club, and they communicate well, then it can work fine. Barca mentioned above - everyone there wants the club playing attractive possession football and there is a big focus on developing the youth. So whilst different managers might go about things slightly differently, there is usually concord in the types of players the DOF and the coach wants to bring in etc.

If we go down that route, the board needs to ensure that they know what they want, and that they get two people in who can both work towards that aim without one trying to overpower the other.

ncfcstar is right - surely the whole point of the DoF is to take the burdon of recruitment off the manager?

And this is what McNally seems to be suggesting the DoF will be for:

"He said the first team manager needs to concentrate on first team players and coaching them, and not have other responsibilities like medicine and recruitment, which should be managed elsewhere."

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="lharman7"]I don''t have a problem with a DOF position as long as it has very little to do with player recruitment.

We also need to remember that (dare I mention his name) Lambert didn''t need a DOF so it shows maybe we don''t need one.[/quote]Surely the whole point of the DoF is that they do deal with player recruitment and leave the other stuff to the manager?I reckon Karsa was pretty much DoF during Lambert''s reign.[/quote]

Yeah I wrote on another thread that player recruitment needs to be a trust thing between the scouting team and manager. I believe that''s what Lambert had with Karsa.

I would rather the DOF have very little to do with player recruitment as I think that is where it goes wrong at other clubs. The role should be primarily a liaison between coaching staff and board matters.

would the manager identify a position he needs to fill and then approach the DOF.

EG if we needed a goalkeeper, would the manager have an idea of the player he wants, or what he is looking for and the DOF will then use hios contacts to make it happen?

or will it be a case of the manager turns up and theres a random face there.

"i''ve got you a striker..."

"thats great... but we dont need one/Cant work with the guy/he wont fit in..."

it''s a disaster waiting to happen and dangerous ground if you get it wrong....

The last club to be succesful with a DOF was...????

As the article says, Brighton did alright with theirs this season. Plenty of top European clubs have them.

The thing is though Jas, I don''t think even without a DOF it''s as simple as the manager getting the exact player he wants every time. I imagine Hughton went to the board with a long list of players/positions he needed, and the board said "we''ll give you these but not these". Or they couldn''t get the exact player he wanted, so went back and he gave them a wider list to look at etc.

Yes, of course, the communication is key. But if the manager and the DOF sit down and identify the positions and types of players they need to bring in, then the head coach leaves the process at that stage and focusses entirely on the coaching, whilst the DOF goes and gets the players.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

would the manager identify a position he needs to fill and then approach the DOF.

EG if we needed a goalkeeper, would the manager have an idea of the player he wants, or what he is looking for and the DOF will then use hios contacts to make it happen?

[/quote]

Bayern Munich, Atelico & Real Madrid and Barcelona?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Bayern Munich, Atelico & Real Madrid and Barcelona?

[/quote]

the 4 biggest clubs in the world who can have their pick of any player they want.. money no object...

it can only succeed at Carrow Road then!!!???!!

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

I reckon Karsa was pretty much DoF during Lambert''s reign.
[/quote]

Yup.

Doesen''t fill me with confidence in the slightest. We need a manager who knows who he wants and how they will play. A director of football is an unnecessary expense for us. Barca and co rarely have to change styles and managers, so it works well. Not convinced, but we''ll see what happens.

DoF seems to be the new thinking within football. There was a discussion on the radio a week or two back on it. With the conclusion that it''s the way forward in modern football.

I suppose the key to it all is. When a new management team is recruited, everybody has to agree and understand and be happy their roles beforehand. Rather than a board throwing a group together willy nilly.

Yeah but some would say, who throws people together willy nilly? It could happen if the management team were shoved together for the sake of expense for example.

What having a Director of Football should help with is smooth transition when we change managers- look at Swansea and West Brom for good examples. In the future we need to avoid the 180° change in style that we had from Lambert to Hughton.

Most managers feel undermined by a DOF, at least in the English game. Can anyone think of an example in English football where it has worked. Thought we were supposed to be learning from our mistakes not making new ones. Can we not learn from the experiences of others?

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]Most managers feel undermined by a DOF, at least in the English game. Can anyone think of an example in English football where it has worked. Thought we were supposed to be learning from our mistakes not making new ones. Can we not learn from the experiences of others?[/quote]

West Brom.

It sounds good on paper, but it didn''t seem so good when we had Bruce Rioch and Bryan Hamilton. It must undermine the confidence of the coach unless you choose wisely. Lambert and Martin O''Neil could work out though.