Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

The position of Rudd?

If Ruddy leaves, will CR look for a major keeper from somewhere?

If Ruddy stays, who will be second to him, - Rudd or Bunn?

It seems that we have a slight embarrassment of riches here. Rudd seems to have had a good season with Burnley, and I suspect that they may want him next season, and certainly if they don''t get promotion?

It seems that Carlo Nash will be off, but in either event I mentioned we shall have three keepers - first choice, reserve and "won''t get a game" third. If I had to choose, I would choose Rudd over Bunn. The latter is a good shot stopper, but lacks height in dealing with other aspects of the game. I seem to remember Hughton pursuing Bunn for some time, and paying a good figure in the end.

Of course it could all be solved if Burnley win the play-offs and are willing to pay a good price for Rudd. But I would still prefer him to Bunn.

If ruddy is to leave I want Rudd to be given a shot

He''s savvy now, played all season and shown great promise

And at the end of the day mark bunn is a great championship backup, and can play cup games.

Rudd is the future.

Btw "the position of Rudd"

Goalkeeper mainly, could probably have a go at center back in a pinch.

All depends on what the new manager wants.If we sell Ruddy I wouldn''t be against Rudd being at least number two next season. Trouble is I doubt, after the good season he has had, he would want to sit on the bench for us.Taking emotion out of it, if Ruddy isn''t between the sticks we need a big character to fill the position, and I''m not 100% convinced Rudd is quite ready.

Didn''t a Preston fan come on here a while back and give Rudd great reviews?

If Ruddy leaves, he''d be my choice as no 1 next year.

What the new manager wants is anyone''s guess though.

I have a couple of Preston supporting friends, and they say Rudd is their player of the season. He''s been immense apparently, very commanding and vocal. At 23 I would say he''s ready to be No.1 for us in the championship.

I would say there''s an 80% chance of losing Ruddy now, especially if he doesn''t make the england squad. I think it''ll be a mid-table Prem club, and about £7m.

[quote user="MancCanary"]I have a couple of Preston supporting friends, and they say Rudd is their player of the season. He''s been immense apparently, very commanding and vocal. At 23 I would say he''s ready to be No.1 for us in the championship.

I would say there''s an 80% chance of losing Ruddy now, especially if he doesn''t make the england squad. I think it''ll be a mid-table Prem club, and about £7m.[/quote]I completely agree with everything you say, my only doubt is that he is stepping up a division.Had he been on loan at a Championship side this season I would have no doubts whatsoever.But I rate him.

I think if Ruddy goes we give him a go. We retain Bunn as if Rudd isn''t ready/ good enough, we know we''ll get a reliable keeper in Bunn, but Rudd could be that special i''d go with him to start with.

I''d prefer to keep Ruddy and not sell - even for several million. I just think it would be a massive, massive boost to our chances if he stays.

If he goes I wouldn''t have any problem of seeing Rudd given a chance but I don''t particularly trust Bunn. For me he''s just too small and some of the goals he has let in have simply been a case of him not having the reach.

If Ruddy stays, we keep Bunn and Nash/another similar, and loan Rudd out again.

Obviously we don''t really know whether he''s good enough for this level yet and let''s wait and see what the new manager thinks in training. But if Ruddy goes, I wouldn''t be at all surprised if we end up with Rudd and Bunn competing directly for the number 1 position and Nash/another staying as back up to the two of them.

[quote user="GJP"]

I''d prefer to keep Ruddy and not sell - even for several million. I just think it would be a massive, massive boost to our chances if he stays.

If he goes I wouldn''t have any problem of seeing Rudd given a chance but I don''t particularly trust Bunn. For me he''s just too small and some of the goals he has let in have simply been a case of him not having the reach.

[/quote]

Bunn was arguably Hughtons best signing. If we''d not had him last season, there''s a big chance we''d have gone down. He has his limitations but he was immense in some games that we ground out all important points in.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="MancCanary"]I have a couple of Preston supporting friends, and they say Rudd is their player of the season. He''s been immense apparently, very commanding and vocal. At 23 I would say he''s ready to be No.1 for us in the championship.

I would say there''s an 80% chance of losing Ruddy now, especially if he doesn''t make the england squad. I think it''ll be a mid-table Prem club, and about £7m.[/quote]I completely agree with everything you say, my only doubt is that he is stepping up a division.Had he been on loan at a Championship side this season I would have no doubts whatsoever.But I rate him.[/quote]

We need to take the plunge at some point though- use him or lose him. If we get £6-7m for Ruddy I think we take it and put Rudd in knowing that Bunn is more than capable if he isn''t up to it.

I really don''t think there''s much chance of keeping Ruddy. He has to be playing in the premiership, and I think he will state as much. I''m not expecting an official transfer request, but I would imagine he''ll tell McNally and the new manager that he would like permission to talk to a prem club if they come knocking. He''s done his bit for us - could''ve left last season for chelsea but didn''t.

Of course, if he''s feeling brave he could stay with us in the hope that we''ll all be back in the premiership in 12 months time. If he did, it would encourage others to stay too I think.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote] Bunn was arguably Hughtons best signing. If we''d not had him last season, there''s a big chance we''d have gone down. He has his limitations but he was immense in some games that we ground out all important points in. [/quote]

Lol. Very arguably.

Yeah, had we not have had a goalkeeper we might have gone down. It is helpful to have a ''keeper. But you expect your backup ''keeper to be able to make some saves when called upon.

I could never, ever see us getting out of the Championship if Bunn was first choice. Not good enough all round.

Bunn is probably at the peak of his career ability-wise now and has proven a solid Championship ''keeper, but nowhere near good enough to be a regular in the Premier League. Rudd is probably the same level, but still improving and could well turn out to be as good as if not better than Ruddy eventually.

We also have Remi Matthews who''s very highly rated, so if Ruddy goes then I''d like to see us give Rudd a chance as no.1, either keep Bunn as no.2 or let him go if he wants 1st team football and bring in an older, experienced ''keeper as backup and loan out Matthews with a recall option if he''s needed.

It is not feasible to hold Rudd back for much longer.

If Ruddy goes then I would be happy for him and Bunn to fight it out for the number one slot. Remember the ex-Messiah was content to have a much younger and less experienced Rudd as his number two, much as he is happy to take a similar risk with Steer at Villa Park. 

If JR is happy to stay, which is not beyond the bounds of possibility, then Rudd should be number two again and perhaps we could sell the admirable Bunn to Preston, or is it Burnley?

In an ideal world, we will strike a deal with Ruddy (who still has three years left on his contract, I think?) that he stays for this season, and we will let him go next summer if we don''t go up, so he has a decent chance at making the Euros in 2016 by playing Premier League football. I think that is a fair compromise. In that scenario, we loan out Rudd again, should he choose to go along with it, and he can then step in should we not go up and be our number one for next season.But there are so many ifs and buts here then anything can happen. We can only really start to make decisions when we know if Ruddy is staying or going.