Sign in to follow this  
Bluebird

Cardiff fan in peace regarding Malky

Sorry for yet another Malky thread you must be fed-up of them.

I just come in piece to discuss Malky''s management style, you may have kept a close eye on Malky during the Championship and you may have even come across him in the 10/11 season if I''m correct?

I''m here to just give a few heads-up pointers if he is to be appointed your manager

He is a brilliant media minipulator, not to mention he will be at a club that lies deep in his heart, if appointed I have no doubt there will be a massive amount of love in from him from the media, he sweetens the media up and thrives on using the word passion. He had the media down here wrapped round his fingers and played them to his advantage, whilst he was about to be sacked they were firmly backing him over Tan which isn''t a surprise as Tan is perceived as a pantomine villain and Malky the saint.

Malky Mackay''s football is not very pretty but effective in the Championship but this only works with the right players, since you are a recently relegated side I''m not too sure whether he will return to us for players but if he does they will be his favourites in Andrew Taylor, Don Cowie and Tommy Smith but in my opinion you have a squad more than capable of challenging for promotion in the Championship. In Malky''s first season he performed the miracle of all miracles, getting us to a League Cup final and a play-off semi final with a budget of about 3m, assembling a new squad after being left with nothing. A brilliant feat in itself that season but his team seemed to go off the boil towards the end of the season, which is evident with Watford, (he had the Championship top goal scorer in Danny Graham and Don Cowie in the top 3 of the assists chart and somehow finished mid-table?!) we had only secured our play-off spot on the final day.

Now it brings me to last season, the re-brand in place and Malky was the guy given the biggest warchest in the clubs history. In my opinion he bought the players required of him to get promoted but it came at a cost, our wages last season were a remarkable 30m, with us spending 10-15m on transfers just to get out of the division. He also loaned Kerim Frei due to the lack of wingers we had despite this large budget but never used Frei?! Malky tends to give big wages to his football friends it seems, although since he has Norwich in his heart I hope this is not the case this time. He achieved promotion I feel in a very poor Championship and it was evident, we''ve been relegated for being too sentimental with our Championship team.

Malky didn''t buy well at all in the Premier League and spent too much on singular players rather than spending wisely on assembling a team worthy of PL safety

Apologies if it''s more about us than you but I feel that Malky is just another Hughton, a Championship manager who got given a chance in the Premier League. Although Hughton can find a few bargains, Malky on the other hand is more of a throw the cheque book manager and you''ll succeed in my opinion. The football is not pretty but with the right players you can achieve promotion but what''s the fun in getting promoted if you can''t enjoy what you see?

Hope to visit Carrow Road next season, good luck in the Championship with us

Thanks for that, interesting insight.
I think what you have said here echoes my own opinion (although that is formed from a far lower breadth of knowledge obviously). 
I''m not keen on Malky, and sincerely hope we don''t get him, because I feel that as you say, he is a Championship manager who achieved beyond his capabilities (As in, he got to the Premier League, but he''s not capable of being a successful Prem manager right now).
Was it £12mill he spent on Medel? It was some ridiculous figure for an incredibly over-rated player.
Good to hear someone with more knowledge, offering the same views that many of us are being criticised for expressing, by our fellow fans who see Mackay as the saviour in waiting.

Cheers for that mate. I must point out though, managers do not spend club money with no oversight. If the players Malky and his team identified and signed weren''t good enough, blame him for that, but he will have not been there signing cheques willy nilly. The lack of value for money is on the board and the executives, not the manager.

[quote user="kick it off"]Thanks for that, interesting insight.
I think what you have said here echoes my own opinion (although that is formed from a far lower breadth of knowledge obviously). 
I''m not keen on Malky, and sincerely hope we don''t get him, because I feel that as you say, he is a Championship manager who achieved beyond his capabilities (As in, he got to the Premier League, but he''s not capable of being a successful Prem manager right now).
Was it £12mill he spent on Medel? It was some ridiculous figure for an incredibly over-rated player.
Good to hear someone with more knowledge, offering the same views that many of us are being criticised for expressing, by our fellow fans who see Mackay as the saviour in waiting.
[/quote]

Always happy to help, it may seem I am very negative regarding Mackay despite him delivering our promotion, he didn''t prepare us at all in the right manner, if you get a 10-15m budget just for promotion and 30m in wages you are expected to prepare a PL worthy squad, not ask for 50m in the summer and then ask for more in the January window. He has made many mistakes in the window, Cornelius, Brayford and Velikonja being just three I can remember.

It is correct we spent 12m on Medel, we could have got him for 6.5m 2 weeks earlier if we had not remained patient with Etienne Capoue who was taking the club for a ride(he ended up joining Spurs) this was not the only time we had allowed a player more than a week to decide if they were joining(Tom Ince did this as well). Medel is our most expensive player and don''t get me wrong he is a good player but definitely not PL material, started off well but piled on the pounds and was blowing wind out of his arse for the rest of the season with both eyes set for the World Cup

I will be very surprised if he is to get a Premier League job again unless he builds a side up and takes them there himself, it would be suicidal for a club to give him the budgets we gave him.

Maybe he can become a PL manager that is there for years to come if he learns from his mistakes.

I feel it is a fairytale appoint if you do appoint him as he spoke highly of you in press conferences when he was here but he was only loved with you as a player and sometimes going back to former players doesn''t pan out right and you lose the love you once shared for them.

Personally I feel you should go for a manager in L1 who is young and upcoming but knows the Championship division. Maybe even go all out as you have the finances.

Thanks for that Bluebird. I think that pretty much echoes my own thoughts on Malky- he would be likely to get us promotion, but the football will probably be dull. Interesting points re the amount of money he''s spent as well. I think I''ve always looked admiringly at his time with Watford and first season with you, where he seemed to achieve a lot with very little, but the wage and transfer figures you state are staggering.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"]Cheers for that mate. I must point out though, managers do not spend club money with no oversight. If the players Malky and his team identified and signed weren''t good enough, blame him for that, but he will have not been there signing cheques willy nilly. The lack of value for money is on the board and the executives, not the manager.[/quote]

I fully agree with that and Tan and the board will have to accept some of the blame but Malky and Moody were given a free reigns of the transfer budget if you will, Cornelius was signed after three viewings in a league which was already wrapped up. Malky then moved to say Cornelius was one for the future despite once being our record signing.

He is a good top half Championship manager who can probably challenge for the play-offs without a big budget with the right players and is a great motivator, I am a massive Solskjaer fan at the moment and excited for what he has in store for us next season, but he is far from the motivator that Malky was and that is saying something.

The football is extremely dull, sometimes you see a few glimpses of good football but that''s down to the players ability, Craig Noone was one player who tore the Championship last season and was a regular but then didn''t make his Premier League debut until November, proving Malky''s stubborness to give him a go when really Noone was our ONLY out and out winger.

The fees are staggering and whilst the board and owner have to take the blame, you have to wonder how he would spend this time round. It has sort of tarnished his reputation if you will, I see him touted for Premier League jobs but he is massively inexperienced at that level and has what? Five months in a job where he was hovering above the relegation zone despite winning the Championship last season and spending 35m in the summer? It is almost embarrassing

I am heavily appreciative for him taking us to the next level and 11/12 was one of my most enjoyable seasons as a Cardiff fan but it seems once he achieved that success on such little finances it went to his head and he believed he was a better manager than he actually was

I hope so Dandy, I am not one who was heavily affected by it as I''m just a Cardiff fan who wants to see his side and wants to see us survive but we were promised a debt free club and now he is only converting only a quarter of the debt we owe to him despite saying he would convert it all at the start of last season and then after the settlement with Malky.

He has promised to compromise if we achieve promotion next season, he really is a mad man and I for one would prefer for the club to be united once again rather than be left high in the clouds

[quote user="Bluebird"][quote user="kick it off"]Thanks for that, interesting insight.
[/quote]

Always happy to help, it may seem I am very negative regarding Mackay despite him delivering our promotion, he didn''t prepare us at all in the right manner, if you get a 10-15m budget just for promotion and 30m in wages you are expected to prepare a PL worthy squad, not ask for 50m in the summer and then ask for more in the January window. He has made many mistakes in the window, Cornelius, Brayford and Velikonja being just three I can remember.

It is correct we spent 12m on Medel, we could have got him for 6.5m 2 weeks earlier if we had not remained patient with Etienne Capoue who was taking the club for a ride(he ended up joining Spurs) this was not the only time we had allowed a player more than a week to decide if they were joining(Tom Ince did this as well). Medel is our most expensive player and don''t get me wrong he is a good player but definitely not PL material, started off well but piled on the pounds and was blowing wind out of his arse for the rest of the season with both eyes set for the World Cup

I will be very surprised if he is to get a Premier League job again unless he builds a side up and takes them there himself, it would be suicidal for a club to give him the budgets we gave him.

Maybe he can become a PL manager that is there for years to come if he learns from his mistakes.

I feel it is a fairytale appoint if you do appoint him as he spoke highly of you in press conferences when he was here but he was only loved with you as a player and sometimes going back to former players doesn''t pan out right and you lose the love you once shared for them.

Personally I feel you should go for a manager in L1 who is young and upcoming but knows the Championship division. Maybe even go all out as you have the finances.
[/quote]At that juncture i''d be tempted just to stick with Neil Adams. With his managerial link to our youth team, having won FA Youth Cup last season at the expense of the elites that have dominated the competition over the past decade, he is by my estimations a qualified tactician and man-manager as well as the best man to blood through our most promising youth team of the past few decades. Moreover, the Championship seems like the perfect environment and platform for the likes of the Murphy twins, Morris, Loza, McGeehan and Gafaiti to make the step up.Additionally about 70% or 80% of the match performance we''ve seen play out under Adams in these past 5 games has been as good or better than anything we saw from the last 8 months of Hughton''s tenure. If Hughton is a capable Championship manager, i don''t doubt Adams (with a pre-season and transfer window behind him) is of a higher calibre.Before reading your post Bluebird i assumed Malky would be a practical route out of our present circumstances. Reflecting over our situation as it is, i find myself now thinking Adams is our best choice.

Tend to agree John, Adams looking less of a gamble.

So this thread effectively says, Malky is an excellent Championship manager but don''t get him because he ''failed'' in the Premiership.Well the last time I looked it seemed as though both us and Cardiff will be playing in the Championship so a proven Championship manager sounds somewhat ideal.Or am I missing something?

Not that you guys would care as it''s nothing to do with your club but Tan has come out and said that he turned down Remy on loan(no loan fee with 35k wages a week) for Cornelius. This itself shows Malky is a shady character and his reputation has been WELL and truly tarnished.

[quote user="Bluebird"]Not that you guys would care as it''s nothing to do with your club but Tan has come out and said that he turned down Remy on loan(no loan fee with 35k wages a week) for Cornelius. This itself shows Malky is a shady character and his reputation has been WELL and truly tarnished.[/quote]
I''m sorry, but how?
Cornelius seemed a good signing at the time. a 21 year old Danish international with a 1 in 2 scoring record for a club in the Champions League? I wouldn''t have been disappointed with that. The only question for me was the price he paid for Cornelius which was a little too high. 
Cornelius is also a far different player to Remy as he is a 6ft 4 in target man with above avergae mobility for someone his size whilst Remy is a highly mobile striker who operates at his best either off the shoulder or as a wide-forward in a 4-3-3. Isn''t it possible that Mackay wanted a target man rather than an off the shoulder striker considering he already had one in Fraizer Campbell?
The fact that he was injured hindered his playing time and I wouldn''t put it past Tan to interfere with his selection as he clearly regretted sanctioning the Cornelius deal and didn''t want him at the club. The fact Mackay was sacked about a month after Cornelius was fit also meant he was never going to have time to establish himself.  

[quote user="Bluebird"]Not that you guys would care as it''s nothing to do with your club but Tan has come out and said that he turned down Remy on loan(no loan fee with 35k wages a week) for Cornelius. This itself shows Malky is a shady character and his reputation has been WELL and truly tarnished.[/quote]If Tan has indeed said that, I find it very hard to believe. No loan fee for Remy and only £35k a week wages?.He

is/was reported to be on £60-70k a week at QPR. Surely they would''ve

charged a large (probably seven-figure) loan fee and demanded who took him pays all his

wages? I am not buying that. Especially not from Vincent Tan.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="Bluebird"]Not that you guys would care as it''s nothing to do with your club but Tan has come out and said that he turned down Remy on loan(no loan fee with 35k wages a week) for Cornelius. This itself shows Malky is a shady character and his reputation has been WELL and truly tarnished.[/quote]If Tan has indeed said that, I find it very hard to believe. No loan fee for Remy and only £35k a week wages?.He

charged a large (probably seven-figure) loan fee and demanded who took him pays all his

wages? I am not buying that. Especially not from Vincent Tan.[/quote]

Him and Fernandes are good business partners and friends, so I guess Fernandes would have paid the other half and if QPR asked for any players off us at the time we would have gladly agreed to give them t them in a transfer co-operation if you will.

[quote user="Bluebird"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="Bluebird"]Not that you guys would care as it''s nothing to do with your club but Tan has come out and said that he turned down Remy on loan(no loan fee with 35k wages a week) for Cornelius. This itself shows Malky is a shady character and his reputation has been WELL and truly tarnished.[/quote]If Tan has indeed said that, I find it very hard to believe. No loan fee for Remy and only £35k a week wages?.He

wages? I am not buying that. Especially not from Vincent Tan.[/quote]

Him and Fernandes are good business partners and friends, so I guess Fernandes would have paid the other half and if QPR asked for any players off us at the time we would have gladly agreed to give them t them in a transfer co-operation if you will.[/quote]Well, if that is true, then that is further evidence to support the widely held belief that QPR''s finances are being so badly mis-managed it is ridiculous.

Cornelius was far from a good signing at the time Phillip, we had only signed him on three viewings, the league was already wrapped up and his goals had dried up since they more or less won it. I''m sure they weren''t in the Champions League that season either. 10m is far from acceptable for an unproven striker.

We had Gestede in the mould of Cornelius really. We needed a goal-scoring striker, our top goal scorer was a 35 year old on nine goals ffs. Mackay then bought Odemwingie to patch up the mess he made with Cornelius. (Apparently Malky and Moody took a bung from the Cornelius deal, healthy little piece of the deal for him and Moody)

[quote user="Bluebird"]the league was already wrapped up and his goals had dried up since they more or less won it.[/quote]
Andreas Cornelius was the top scorer in Denmark at the time, having scored 18 goals of 34 appearances or roughly 1 goal every 2 games. And a lot of players let there standards slip after winning a title, it''s only natural and far from a convincing argument about his lack of talent.
[quote user="Bluebird"]I''m sure they weren''t in the Champions League that season either.[/quote]
They finished 2nd the year before, reaching the Champions League qualifiers (equivalent to finishing 4th in the Premiership), they lost in the final qualifier against Lille, before dropping into the Europa League, he made a couple of appearances from the bench but didn''t score.
 [quote user="Bluebird"]10m is far from acceptable for an unproven striker.[/quote]
You do know that Mackay doesn''t control the money, don''t you? If he was too expensive then your CEO or owner should''ve told him. Anyway, Cardiff themselves claim losses were just under £10 million or probably the same amount we spent on RVW.
[quote user="Bluebird"]We had Gestede in the mould of Cornelius really.[/quote]
Yes, Rudy Gestede who scored 7 goals in his entire Cardiff career...
 [quote user="Bluebird"]We needed a goal-scoring striker, our top goal scorer was a 35 year old on nine goals ffs.[/quote]
Did you ever think that Cornerlius was going to be that striker? He was the top scorer in the Danish League for a reason, y''know. And you had Fraizer Campbell who scored 7 goals in just under half-a-season and would''ve easily been your top scorer had he joined at the start of 2012-13. 
 [quote user="Bluebird"]Mackay then bought Odemwingie to patch up the mess he made with Cornelius.[/quote]
No, he brought Odemwinge and played him as a wide midfielder so he had another goal threat accept this one had a bit of Premier League knowledge and pedigree. He brought him to complement the team and add further options, not to admit he messed up on Conrelius who had made 2 appearances by this point.
 [quote user="Bluebird"] (Apparently Malky and Moody took a bung from the Cornelius deal, healthy little piece of the deal for him and Moody)[/quote]
Of course he did. Because the much simpler explanation, that it was a signing that made a degree of sense in context that didn''t work out, just isn''t suitable enough.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]Maybe you''re missing that no one wants to get promoted and then relegated the following season.[/quote]Perhaps, but we actually need to be promoted before any subsequent relegation happens. One step at a time. I''d prefer to have a manager with a good chance of getting us up first time and then who might or might not keep us up the following year.

Whatever went on at Cradiff ( and i certainly would not believe much of what Vincent Tan says) we do things a different way here. The new manager will be given a budget which includes transfer fees and wages and he will have to stick to it.Maybe our Bluebird friend is a little concerned we might appoint a manager who ensures City finish above Cardiff next season.[:)]

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/vincent-tan-full-story-cardiff-7103643

Well this is Tann''s scathing attack on Malky, blaming him for relegation and rubbishing his achievements at Watford.

I doubt the full story will ever be know but as someone posted elsewhere, we do need to be sure we know what we are taking on here if we go for Malky.

The evidence at the moment does suggest he is a good championship manager. We are in the championship so he is exactly what we need. How good would he have been given a full season inthe EPL with Cardiff who knows but they were 12th when he left and they finished bottom. He made some expensive mistake eg Christianson but he was theit RVW. His other signings like Caulker were pretty good