Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Hooper and England

Now we see Forster getting in the England squad over Ruddy, I wonder if he thinks he''d have been better served staying in Scotland and getting his guarantee of 20+ goals this season against a bunch of amateurs? I bet he regrets his move to us now.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Now we see Forster getting in the England squad over Ruddy, I wonder if he thinks he''d have been better served staying in Scotland and getting his guarantee of 20+ goals this season against a bunch of amateurs? I bet he regrets his move to us now.[/quote]Do you honestly think he''s even close to Lambert, Rooney, Sturridge and Wellbeck?

He was fairly level in reputation with Lambert at the start of the season. If he''d come to Norwich and got 15 goals, he''d be on the plane now. That was what I bet he was targeting. I agree now it looks a million miles away. Imagine he''d stayed at Celtic and got 30 goals and a couple in the Champions league, Hodgson might have considered him then. We''ve massively failed as a club this season and if I was Hooper or Ruddy, i''d feel annoyed at the club as well as myself for failing.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]He was fairly level in reputation with Lambert at the start of the season. If he''d come to Norwich and got 15 goals, he''d be on the plane now. That was what I bet he was targeting. I agree now it looks a million miles away. Imagine he''d stayed at Celtic and got 30 goals and a couple in the Champions league, Hodgson might have considered him then. We''ve massively failed as a club this season and if I was Hooper or Ruddy, i''d feel annoyed at the club as well as myself for failing.[/quote]No sorry, I disagree.Lambert has been included because of the type of striker he is, which is a very different one to Hooper.I don''t think Hooper was ever close to an England call up, regardless of where he was playing.Has he ever been called up for any friendlies?

Sickens me to see his goalscoring record at Celtic (31 goals last season!), even more so than looking at RVW''s record, what the hell have we done to them two and Becchio?!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Not what he thinks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25305477[/quote]Well he''s as deluded as you are lol.

Hooper was very close at the back end of 2012 to getting a call-up, around the same time as Forster was first drafted in. He was banging in goals domestically, and like Forster, had played well in the Champions League. Ultimately though, against League One/Two standard defences, he was never going really get into the England squad, especially not for the World Cup. He needed to move to the Premier League and score regularly, so I don''t think he would regret moving here. He will just regret how it turned out.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Hooper was very close at the back end of 2012 to getting a call-up, around the same time as Forster was first drafted in. He was banging in goals domestically, and like Forster, had played well in the Champions League. Ultimately though, against League One/Two standard defences, he was never going really get into the England squad, especially not for the World Cup. He needed to move to the Premier League and score regularly, so I don''t think he would regret moving here. He will just regret how it turned out.[/quote]

Well Forster seems to have managed alright to get called up by facing league 1 strikers...

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Sickens me to see his goalscoring record at Celtic (31 goals last season!), even more so than looking at RVW''s record, what the hell have we done to them two and Becchio?![/quote]Seriously?Soooo, Becchio and Hooper both scored at Championship level (I count the Scottish Premier as roughly Championship standard) but didn''t do as well in the tougher Premier league.Why do you think that could be?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Hooper was very close at the back end of 2012 to getting a call-up, around the same time as Forster was first drafted in. He was banging in goals domestically, and like Forster, had played well in the Champions League. Ultimately though, against League One/Two standard defences, he was never going really get into the England squad, especially not for the World Cup. He needed to move to the Premier League and score regularly, so I don''t think he would regret moving here. He will just regret how it turned out.[/quote]

Well Forster seems to have managed alright to get called up by facing league 1 strikers...[/quote]Forsters call up is more about John Ruddy''s indifferent season, than his own good one.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Hooper was very close at the back end of 2012 to getting a call-up, around the same time as Forster was first drafted in. He was banging in goals domestically, and like Forster, had played well in the Champions League. Ultimately though, against League One/Two standard defences, he was never going really get into the England squad, especially not for the World Cup. He needed to move to the Premier League and score regularly, so I don''t think he would regret moving here. He will just regret how it turned out.[/quote]

Well Forster seems to have managed alright to get called up by facing league 1 strikers...[/quote]I think it is slightly different for goalkeepers, though. Every now and again when you see players from the Championship getting England call-ups, a lot of them are keepers. Maybe because we lack depth in that position- which is another reason why Forster may have found it easier. Also, Forster has produced a couple of world class displays against Barca.

Ruddy has had another good season. It''s the brittle midfield and poor defence that has cost him. How many games has it been John Ruddy versus whoever. He is a top keeper and deserves better than our tinpot mentality club. He''ll get the move he deserves in summer, I''ll be sad to see him go, but he''s too good for us.

This is just really another Anti Chris Hughton thread Jimmy, isn''t it?

For quite a lot of the season Hooper didn''t look Premier League quality. When he went through his little scoring patch he looked like he could be alright but other than that he''s generally been poor.

I always had my doubts about his ability at this level but more disappointingly he never really looked like someone who was going to give their all for Norwich City on the pitch (in my opinion).

No Mention of Hughton, anyway, regarding England Keepers, one just won the title with City and doesn''t even get a sniff! ;-D

Ruddy is commanding in the box and good at stopping one on ones but struggles with long range shots. Looking at him I don''t think his footwork is very good and will often dive from a standing position rather than adjusting himself first meaning he''s susceptible to conceding the odd soft goal from shots outside the box.Ruddy might have forced his way into the squad because of an absence of good quality English goalkeepers around right now but Hodgson decided to go with his mate of a similar standard, so presumably didn''t want to have to hang around with Ruddy for 4 weeks.

[quote user="morty"]I count the Scottish Premier as roughly Championship standard[/quote]Don''t think it''s that good, more like League 1 Anyway, if Holty couldn''t get in the England squad then Hooper stands no chance

Can anyone really imagine Hooper playing for England?

What would he give apart from comic relief?

If you wanted to look at reasons Hughton got the sack it was paying over the odds for a striker with no obvious strengths (Hooper in this case, but I am sure you could add another)

[quote user="BigFish"]

Can anyone really imagine Hooper playing for England?

What would he give apart from comic relief?

If you wanted to look at reasons Hughton got the sack it was paying over the odds for a striker with no obvious strengths (Hooper in this case, but I am sure you could add another)

[/quote]

Absolutely this.

This thread is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen, solely for Jimmy Smith who continues posting the most mentally addled posts I have come across in a long long time.

Holt did deserve a chance for that season only.    Hooper has done nothing to show he is anywhere near england class,   movement, touch link up play and finishing are not even the best at the club,  let alone good enough for international football.

Defoe offers so much more and a far superior player and he is always found wanting at England level (unless we are playing a minnow) 

Come off it, we signed enough players from the Scottish top league to know that a majority of the teams/players would struggle in the Championship.He had no chance of going whether he was at Celtic or in our team. Lambert is a much better player in a much better team and deserves to go.

I am not saying hopper is better, simply saying he was at the start of the season held in similar regard to Lambert. Perhaps another 31 goals at celtic and he might be on that plane, the Scottish league might have painted him in a better light like forster. Do you really believe forster is better than Ruddy?

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Ruddy has had another good season. It''s the brittle midfield and poor defence that has cost him. How many games has it been John Ruddy versus whoever. He is a top keeper and deserves better than our tinpot mentality club. He''ll get the move he deserves in summer, I''ll be sad to see him go, but he''s too good for us.[/quote]

But he hasn''t had "another good season" has he? He had only half a good season last year because of injury and this year he has been average rather than commanding in the vast majority of games. We have conceded several goals this season which on last season''s form he would have saved.

That''s why he''s not going to Brazil. With the England goalkeeping coach on staff do you really think he wouldn''t be going if he had had a good season?