Sign in to follow this  
GrantsMoustache

Pressure and performance

Read some interesting quotes by Tony Pulis on Dwight Gayle.

Pulis actually tried to sell or loan Gayle in January according to the media. Here is the quote:

"When I first came to the club Dwight was the marquee signing. We''d spent a lot of money on him and it looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders in lots of respects," he told Palace''s official website

"He wasn''t really integrated into the group and he looked a bit on the fringes, so we spent a lot of time opening him up as a person and a player.

"He''s become a lot closer to the group and his mates in the dressing room. He didn''t need the pressure, we took that away from him and he''s improved immensely."

We ourselves have got a couple of strikers who have had the weight of the world on their shoulders all season, both big money signings who have needed to do the business. Perhaps this is how Van Wolfswinkel has felt all season, and does this show that Pulis is a good man manager, but under Hughton the pressure was always too high on individuals?

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Read some interesting quotes by Tony Pulis on Dwight Gayle.

Pulis actually tried to sell or loan Gayle in January according to the media. Here is the quote:

"When I first came to the club Dwight was the marquee signing. We''d spent a lot of money on him and it looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders in lots of respects," he told Palace''s official website

"He wasn''t really integrated into the group and he looked a bit on the fringes, so we spent a lot of time opening him up as a person and a player.

"He''s become a lot closer to the group and his mates in the dressing room. He didn''t need the pressure, we took that away from him and he''s improved immensely."

We ourselves have got a couple of strikers who have had the weight of the world on their shoulders all season, both big money signings who have needed to do the business. Perhaps this is how Van Wolfswinkel has felt all season, and does this show that Pulis is a good man manager, but under Hughton the pressure was always too high on individuals?[/quote]

I think you''re 100% right.  Hughton''s methods seem to rely on players taking responsibility for themselves, which works when you have a strong team used to that way of working.  It was patently obvious that our players inherited from a different way of working, found it difficult to adjust to that - and the players that came in to that couldn''t adapt to it either, RVW having the hardest and the most responsible job of scoring the goals.  

Hughton''s method of working needed the squad to evolve into something over a period of time. My premise all along was that it would take two to  three years to see the evolution work - and I think the board desperately wanted him to succeed with that plan.    But it came off the rails too badly and we are suffering the consequences of that.  

Pulis is plainly a very good manager - his stock will have risen even more after what he has done with Palace.

Good shout, op.

Good post.

I think RVW is a really good guy and it shows in his personality. At the start of the season against Hull there was a point where he chested the ball to pass in front of goal instead of shooting. I got the impression then he was concerned about how he was going to be perceived if he didn''t score..

Hooper on the other hand I don''t get the same impression with. I don''t think he was as affected as RVW, but it just goes to show that he was given little opportunity thanks to the tactics.