Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Ruddy to Palace... Surely not

No surprise its started already.    Good to know someone rightly covets our better players.

As we dont have to sell we should hol out for much more if Ruddy wants to remain in the prem.      These bids are why we need an inspirational management appointment quickly...  

That''d be sort of the size/stature of club I''d expect him to go to.

Most Premier League teams have already got a very good goalkeeper and unless they''re expecting their incumbent to leave there aren''t going to be too many clubs looking to spend several £m on a ''keeper.

I''d hold out for around 7, but if that much was offered, I''d be extremely tempted to take it. Good keeper, but there are plenty of them around for half that amount (not to mention that Bunn and potentially Rudd are more than adequate replacements, certainly in the championship) - reinvest the money elsewhere.

Guessing that means Speroni is on his way out? Can''t see them splashing out on a keeper of Ruddy''s quality unless Speroni is leaving, he''s been their best player for years!

Speroni is out of contract, but I would''ve thought that keeping him would be a more sensible option than splashing out on Ruddy, unless Speroni wants to leave. Plus they signed Hennessey in January, so I am surprised by this.I would''ve thought West Ham would''ve been the biggest dangers- they probably need a keeper more than anyone in the bottom half. Or possibly Leicester if Schmeichel walks.

Ruddy commands a lot more than that. He''s probably the first player we need to sit down with tbh. In his statement today about being left out of the world cup he''s talking about getting ready for the championship next season and he''s said he is happy here, and I truly believe that.

If he''s happy to stay and we are under no pressure to sell then only a massive bid will sway us. Even when Chelsea came in last year Ruddy didn''t kick off or hand in transfer requests he just got on with it. Model pro.

[quote user="GJP"]

That''d be sort of the size/stature of club I''d expect him to go to.

Most Premier League teams have already got a very good goalkeeper and unless they''re expecting their incumbent to leave there aren''t going to be too many clubs looking to spend several £m on a ''keeper.

[/quote]

Yes, but isn''t there something in the new UEFA rulings about teams qualifying for the Champions League needing to have a certain minimum of home-grown players. It had actually crossed my mind that money-is-no object Manchester City might be interested in JR. This is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

I believe that there was something mentioned about this when they signed Richard Wright.

Presumably Ruddy is ok with the pay cut if he''s said he''s happy here. That''s the only concern if he''s offered a massive salary elsewhere.

Interesting point Broadstairs. I would like to think that Ruddy would prefer to stay here and play first team rather than sit on the bench making up the English-quota for a club playing in Europe, but who knows nowadays.

I''m only going off Wikipedia for this, but that says Mignolet went to Liverpool for 9 million. And he had had two really good seasons for Sunderland before that, with many calling him the best keeper in the league. Ruddy has had a fairly average season by his standards and even at his best a season or two ago, he was never reaching the standards that Mignolet was setting. Given that Ruddy may have the extra pull of being English, perhaps we can tip 9 mil, but I don''t think he''s worth more than that.

Then it''s a matter of deciding whether we''d rather have Ruddy or Bunn/Rudd plus 8 or 9 mil to reinvest elsewhere.

Obviously don''t want him to go, but if we got an offer over £8m it would be hard to refuse when looking at the bigger picture of squad rebuilding and a great prospect in Rudd just waiting for his chance.

He can do a lot better than Palace though.

Ruddy is totally key to us next season and with him between the sticks I have not doubt we will come straight back up. He is by far the best keeper Norwich have had and hopefully he will do a Hucks and have a fantastic career with us.

No point in seeling him to palace. They will always stuggle in the prem and will be a yoyo club and rival to us. Without pulis they are crap. The chairmans relationship with pulis seems odd so who knows what the stability is like at palace. We should dig our heels in on this one. At least for a season. I really dont see the need for us to sell anyone the new manager wants to keep. We need to be strong and have the mentality that we will go up again next season

Just listened to Ruddy on talksport. Gutted about England and also mentioned that he''s very appreciative of all Norwich have given him since he came here. He says he''ll be at Norwich next season unless club receive a bid they feel is acceptable.

I''d expect club to receive a decent bid, Ruddy will indicate his interest and he will likely leave. However, it''s nice to hear him say if nothing happens, he''s happy to stay.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]He came across really well and if we were to sell him then £10 million has to be the starting point.[/quote]

BANG ON

[quote user="Dicky"]Ruddy is totally key to us next season and with him between the sticks I have not doubt we will come straight back up. He is by far the best keeper Norwich have had and hopefully he will do a Hucks and have a fantastic career with us.[/quote]He''s very good but opinion depends on how old you are.For us oldies Kevin Keelan would shade it methinks.

We''d sell him if we get a realistic bid.

£5m or £7m is not realistic. I think £8m plus add ons taking it to £10m + as a realistic fee is the sort of bid it will take. 

People on this board need to remember how the transfer game is played out, e.g. we were interested in Snoddy for years and put in bids which Leeds rejected, it was only years later that they accepted our bid as his contract was running down.  Ditto with Celtic - we felt them out with lowish bids for Hooper in January last season, which they rejected, and we finally got him last summer.

It works the same way on the other side - Chelsea floated some bids for Ruddy which weren''t good enough last year.  CP are doing the same now, trying to find out how willing we are to sell. 

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Dicky"]Ruddy is totally key to us next season and with him between the sticks I have not doubt we will come straight back up. He is by far the best keeper Norwich have had and hopefully he will do a Hucks and have a fantastic career with us.[/quote]

He''s very good but opinion depends on how old you are.

For us oldies Kevin Keelan would shade it methinks.
[/quote]

We''ve nearly always had a glut of riches in the ''keeper department. It must be the Norfolk air. Three fairly recent goalkeepers have played for England and one for Scotland (Woods, Green, Ruddy and Gunn.)

Keelan was the very, very best. My goodness absolutely no doubt about that.

Not even sure I''d place JR ahead of Gunny and Chris Woods was something else.

he is the best footballer the club has and genuine too; hope he stays

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Dicky"]Ruddy is totally key to us next season and with him between the sticks I have not doubt we will come straight back up. He is by far the best keeper Norwich have had and hopefully he will do a Hucks and have a fantastic career with us.[/quote]He''s very good but opinion depends on how old you are.For us oldies Kevin Keelan would shade it methinks.[/quote]

I do remember Keelan, but football was so much slower then. Stick by what I said.

Not sure who else has seen this or if it has been posted already but Ruddy not keen on leaving apparently!

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-ruddy-insists-he-not-eying-summer-exit-relegated-norwich-14051290873?

I think Ruddy should leave, he deserves and needs a move. Staying at Norwich this season has clearly prevented him from going to The World Cup and that will stick in his throat regardless of what his says publicly.

I can''t see a top team coming in for him - at least for a number one spot - and he will want to play every week, so I don''t think people should balk at Palace. Our they so bad? Damn sight better than our shambles this season. His value has also been weakened by our relegation, so we our not going to get silly money, but I think someone around the £6-8M mark would be fair considering the circumstances.

Depending what happens in the next few weeks we could easily go down as well as go up, so I hope Ruddy sees the light and gets out if an offer comes in the he and the board agree on.

Been a great player for us, now time to look for our next number one.

Snodgrass would be a bigger loss to us in the Championship. £10 million and the opportunity to play top tier football at Palace would be in the interest of both parties.

It can''t really be in any doubt that bids will come in for some of our better players, but people do need to be careful not to overvalue them in their minds. Saying that starting bids for Ruddy would be £10m are probably quite a bit over the mark, though we should get a farly big wedge if we decide to sell.