Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Problem position right back.

No one ever comes on here and say R/B was a problem, everyone keeps going on about centre backs etc. Martin would get dropped for Whittaker he would get dropped for Martin and so it went on. Then Adams came up with a wonderful idea of playing 2 no Right backs. Both these lame ducks need sending to the lower leagues or as I suspect Martin will have a NCFC job for life (as though his dad was manager of a youth side)

I think quite a few have recognised RB was a problem area for us in the prem,  with Sma Byram to most suggested replacement with Naughton a lively alternative.

Back in the championship either option will do well,   my preference remaining Capt Russ ahead of Whittaker.     Get promoted and both will need replacing pronto.

Any RM should not be allowed in a cb spot again.  

I''ve made the point quite a few times that we''ve been weak in the right back area. Teams have targeted it through the season.

Usually Whittaker is just deemed a liability but excuses tend to be found for Martin.

Yep, agree with Zipper - both good options for championship. If we come back up, will need better for first choice.

Hallelujah !!. Some common sense at last.

Martin is a weak link. Clearly targeted by opposing teams. Yet he says a few words at a press conference or in the Gunn club afterwards, and comes up smelling of roses. Pretty sure he''ll get the runaround from some of those fast young guns in the Championship as well..

Trouble is, I''ve got a feeling that prudence will prevail,and we''ll be building our team around the likes of our Russ, and Johnston for next season. If thats the case we''ll be heading south rather than north.

get Cyrus Christie on a free, great player a right sided version of olsson.

I''ve been saying we need 2 RBs for weeks, plus another LB, because Garrido lacks pace as well. All these three are reasonable going forward, but struggle when up against pacy wingers.

The side will need re-stocking in just about all areas - strikers, possible central midfielders and back four.

I wouldn''t want to be the new manager. Where does he start?

Personally, I think Martin and Whittaker are both adequate for the second tier. It''s a pity we didn''t manage to sign Naughton in year one of the PL - Martin is not a PL defender.

Martin a weak link ?Wow.......He will do us proud in the Championship, It embarasses me that some of you support the same team as me sometimes

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Martin a weak link ?Wow.......He will do us proud in the Championship, It embarasses me that some of you support the same team as me sometimes[/quote] You should have went to work today and not have spent it in the pub, Anne Robinson should have said to R.Martin in January, Goodbye you are the weakest link.

[quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Martin a weak link ?Wow.......He will do us proud in the Championship, It embarasses me that some of you support the same team as me sometimes[/quote] You should have went to work today and not have spent it in the pub, Anne Robinson should have said to R.Martin in January, Goodbye you are the weakest link.[/quote]Probably looks crap on the radio I agree.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="simmo_2"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Martin a weak link ?
Wow.......

He will do us proud in the Championship, It embarasses me that some of you support the same team as me sometimes
[/quote] You should have went to work today and not have spent it in the pub, Anne Robinson should have said to R.Martin in January, Goodbye you are the weakest link.[/quote]

Probably looks crap on the radio I agree.
[/quote]

It''s a fair comment that the right back area has been targeted. A number of sides have come to Carrow Road this season and looked to focus their attacking play on their left side - and the same thing has happened in away games.

People just get crosses in or go past Martin too easily. Even in the Chelsea game Ashley Cole (33 and not quite the player he once was) got the better of Martin 3 times in the first 20 minutes or so. That kind of thing has happened loads this season. And in some ways I think we could have got away with it a bit more if Martin carried a greater threat in the opposition''s third but far too often his final ball isn''t a good one.

But Martin''s got a good image around the club. Well liked by the fans for always speaking well and seems like he cares so people are less keen to give him the same stick they would to a player they don''t care for so much on a personal level.

Martin has had a rather poor season. Just as poor as the rest of the squad.

He and Whittaker will be fine in the championship but if we go back up then I would get rid of Whittaker and sign a better right back. Martin would be an ok back up in the prem.

I also thought we should have done everything we could to sign Naughton after his loan spell.

I''d say strikers are definitely the highest priority next to at least one CM who isn''t solely a roaming ball winner like Tetty/Johnson or a lightweight advanced playmaker like Howson. We''ve been over-run and dominated in the center of midfield all season.

We need a couple of complete midfielders with a bit of physicality to allow ourselves to dictate tempo, retain the ball and keep possession.

We sit deep all game, usually had nobody in the middle, one slow winger and a poacher up front all year...I WONDER WHY WE STRUGGLED TO BUILD UP ATTACKS......

We''re fine at right back at this level, Martin has improved since we got promoted and he was second only to Rangel in our last year at this level.

IMO Martin has been poor for the past 2 seasons he can''t tackle and his positional play is awful where was he for the second goal on Sunday at CB position. People say he will be adequate in the Championship I don''t want adequate I want quality as for Sutch on Canary Call saying we should build a team round him made me choke there,s ambition not.

Pliff,

I''ll tell you where he was for the second goal, he was tracking the runner in behind who had been left by Bennett, perhaps more to the point, where were the midfield (Snoddy), who are supposed to offer some form of cover?

And even more to the point, I find it interesting that you didn''t ask the same question of Olsson for the first goal, Ramsey ran past, Howson, Redmond and Olsson as if they weren''t there, or perhaps they thougfht he wasn''t there??,

Can only agree with this analysis.    Yes Martin got sucked inside the CB for the second goal but he was tracking a runner, something that our midfield have been abysmal at all season (as someone pointed out on another thread Hoswon & BJ challenges was weak and late - again and both took up poor positions)  

Snoddy has been very poor at his defensive work and both RBs have suffered with that lack of cover - Redmond is far more effective in that activity and he is not known for his defensive work.    

To be fair to redderz for the opening goal while ramsay did run on ahead of him its clear he was (rightly) covering Jenkinson who was just behind him - he was right to safely assume that Olsson would deal with ramsay,  he saw he was there but allowed him far to much space,   positionally and reacted poorly to the cross - should have oput ramsay under much more pressure;   it is this defensive positioning that lets olsson down,   and that his pace solves for him normally;  get the positioning right and its not a problem.

But for me the main problem come back to the midfield - they simply were weak,  not offering enough tackles,  failed to track and were poor positionally.    Only Tettey and Fer show consistent discipline in this element that is core to all midfielders game

Thanks Zipper,

Good to see I''m not alone in my analysis, in fact I have stated a number of times this season that when it comes to our defensive performance, our midfield has been the primary problem, they have been like a sieve all season, allowing runners through at will. I know they won''t stop them scoring on every ocassion, but if the back four has to deal with the forward line, wingers and the oppo''s midfield, then guess what, they may get caught out of position from time to time. The problem is many people blame the defender, when in fact the blame lays elsewhere.