Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

If Dean Ashton goes...

I think we''re all agreed that Dean Ashton has been one of the best signings in our history.

However, should a big club want to take him off us if we get relegated, how much would it take before the board gives in and takes the cash? Surely he is worth more to us as a player than having the money, but what are your thoughts...what would Dean Ashton be worth if we were relegated?

I would have thought about 7 or 8 million?

To prise Deano away would take a bid in that region, to recoup outlay, pay Crewe and make profit, would anyone pay it I doubt very much.  I expect Deano to be here next year, but we need to make best use of this wonderful asset. 

Need better support on the right if Bentley is to be replaced ?, and we needed more from him Saturday.  And Damo might need to be replaced but he doesn''t look a £3m player which is what may be needed to secure his transfer.

i hope we keep Ashton and Bentley. The way these two celebrated one of ashton''s goals against palace says to me that these two have become good friends and if ashton stays then i think it might help to keep bentley on loan for another year at least.

Oh my...I wasn''t the only one thinking that then?!  And there''s the U21 connection as well, so maybe there''s hope of Bents being here next season and I won''t have to chain myself to his car in the car park at Colney!!!  As for Deano, he will be here or there will be an awful mess to clear up in the boardroom...we will all see to that!

He can''t mustn''t won''t go. He''s quality, and he''s bringing out the best in others, like Leon. I''d much rather Francis went. It really worries me that we don''t have anyone to "keep him honest". But Bentley as well - it''s a wonderful dream. Building a team around Ashton, Bentley, Hucks, Shackell and Green. mmmmmmm...

[quote]Oh my...I wasn''t the only one thinking that then?! And there''s the U21 connection as well, so maybe there''s hope of Bents being here next season and I won''t have to chain myself to his car in the car...[/quote]

Actually susie b you should probably chain yourself to his car anyway. Just think how the young lad would feel.

i doubt the club will sell him unless a stupid some of money is offered.

This will depend upon what is in his contract. City have usually allowed clauses that release players under certain circumstances - hence our ability to sign them and the fans stupidity in bleating when they exercise that clause.

My fear is that he would have had a release clause put in dependant upon a cetain figure being offered and/or our status next season.

A quote in today''s Guardian sent a shiver up my spine though "  while Ashton, who refused categorically to commit to Norwich in the event of relegation "

After the last few games Ashoton is looking extremely good. We have a chance to stay up with him. If not in the championship he''ll be awesome.

If he stays that is 

above 5 million i could see him going. but i would rather keep him than that money. I know that makes no sense but hes brought so much exitement to our attack

Agree with you MadDan. There was a lot of rumours about this possible ''escape clause'' in his contract a few weeks ago and I''m not sure anyone knows the truth (apart from the Club).

Personally, I think there is almost certainly such a clause which is why the talks took so long before he finally signed (remember how they dragged on?). Much will depend on the price Norwich set in the contract. If we go down I fully expect someone like Newcastle or Villa to come in with £6m (+ a player possibly). Villa have money to spend and Newcastle must soon replace the old man and they will offload Kluivert. Given that sort of offer, I''m sure we would take it and who knows it could turn out to be good business IF we could buy a decent replacement with the money and say got a decent defender or midfielder as well in exchange. Not advocating it but all I''m saying is don''t assume Ashton will definitely stay here if we go down.   

A few more quality goals and he will be gone once we go down. It''s very similar to the Sutton situation (although this time our Chairman won''t be hawking him round the market as Fat Man did!).

[based loosely on the MasterCard advert...]

"Norwich City Replica Home Top... £20

The MacDouble Video... £8.39

12 Canary Greats book... £15.99

Dean Ashton... Priceless!"

[prices according to www.canarystore.co.uk]

If he does go I''ll be absolutely gutted, it would have been nice if he had categorically stated that he doesn''t want to go anywhere. He only said he was settled last week and also said that he was amazed that anyone thought he''d want to go so soon after arriving here, he also said a couple of weeks ago that he was up for another season in the championship if we were relegated. I would like to think that he would show us a bit of loyalty if we went down and if he went he would certainly go down in my estimation, I have him down as a level headed guy who would be in no hurry to leave. There''s always the possibility that the paper has taken his remarks out of context, lets hope so.

[quote]This will depend upon what is in his contract. City have usually allowed clauses that release players under certain circumstances - hence our ability to sign them and the fans stupidity in bleating wh...[/quote]

Damn you mad dan!! now why did you have to go and say a thing like that???

You''ve got me worried now.

I think we should start a "Deano to stay" campaign in the hope that he might just pay this forum a visit and read it.....

Or we could start a chant until the end of the season, to the tune of the song, "Please Don''t Go" (can''t remember who it is by).

Please Don''t Go, Deano,
Don''t Go Away,
Please Don''t Go, Deano,
I''m beggin'' you to stay

I think I detect an aura of paranoia surrounding this thread.

Of course there may be a clause in Deans contract, but who will pay £4m at least for Deano, Villa and Newcastle mentioned but they have first choice strikers in Angel and Shearer, would Dean want to go to be on subs bench at his tender age, I don''t think so.  Possibilities might be promoted teams but do Wigan need him with Roberts and Ellington, Sunderland would be a possibility, Dean must look at the long term, likely to be relegated if they are promoted.  Ipswich could never afford the investment.

I fully expect Dean to be here next year unless we receive a silly bid from a highly unlikely source, there will be cheaper options available from abroad or loans from Premier clubs.

You are all bonkers & worrying over nothing. Ashton will be here next season whether we stay up or go down. At earliest he would go would be the January transfer window if we are not ideally placed in the fizzy league.

"Ashton: Norwich right for me

Star striker Dean Ashton has assured Norwich fans he feels the Canaries are "the right club" for him and is focusing on "trying to stay up".

The 21-year-old netted a double in the 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace and now seems to be finding his feet in the top flight following a £3m transfer from Crewe during January.

Any talk of him preparing to leave Carrow Road just months into his three-year deal should Norwich get relegated from the Premiership has been dismissed once again.

And Ashton said: "Of course I wouldn''t want to play in the Championship next season, but I am contracted to Norwich and I picked this club knowing that the worst could come to the worst - but I also knew I was picking the right club for me.

"Things like that will sort themselves out. I''m just enjoying my football at the moment and we are all just concentrating on trying to stay up.""

Thats from teamtalk.com. And if they have it it is old news. I hope that puts an end to things for you guys.

Yes. I''ve just read that chicken. Would seem to make more sense as all eventualities would have been discussed I''m sure.

More so with Crewe as they would want some reassurance that conditional payments were going to be honoured. Something another club might nmot be so willing to take on. My post was as much a matter of playing devils advocate (or devil''s advocado asthee little lady would have it)

We''ve not really sold one of our brighter prospects for somewhile now. Ashton has looking pretty awesome in the past few games.

I trust the board to have made sure that prospect and talent is still here for sometime. Who knows where we''ll be next season but wherever it is if we can keep most of the squad together it''s going to be one helluva cracking nine months or so.

For those at Carrow Road tonight lets let the players and the opposition know where we want to be in 2005/2006.

For those not their then at least don your colours and shout as loud as you can at the radio........ even louder if you''ve got it switched on.

If we go down though, can you seriously see bentley playing in the championship. deano said that he will definitely stay.

I''m not sure if Bentley is with us next season anyway. My understanding was it was a year long loan.

I doubt Arsenal will want to extend that and I''m not sure if he has proved himself enough for another premiership club to want to sign him at this stage.

Given his ultimatum about playing first team football at Arsenal he does seem to be painting himself into a corner.

Perhaps his recent comments about rollin'' his sleeves up and getting stuck in'' with us suggests he may see our future as important to him as it is to us.

I''ll probably get shot for this but after the last couple of games I''m not sure if I would want mid table mediocrity at the moment against the heart attack stuff coming up over the next few weeks. 

Bring on the toon

i think dean would give us one chance to bounce straight back up. if we failed feel he might go then. dont think any big offers this year would be taken by the board if we went down as if we sold him for say 8million peanuts to what we get if we go back up.

I have no doubt in my mind that Deano will be at Carrow Road next season whatsoever. He will be of vital importance to our promotion push next season along with Shackell. If Green still goes at the end of the season, it won''t be a disaster, we still have quality keepers in Gallacher and Ward, with Lewis waiting in the wings. Francis going would be my biggest worry, he would be hard to replace. But saying that, Worthy and the team found Francis as a relitive unknown, he may be able to do it again? Bentley would be a massive boost to our team next season if we were able to get him on loan for next season, although i think he would favour playing in the Premiership, but Downing was playing in Division ! when he found his form and he hasn''t looked back......

Neil Adams just raised a good point on Canary call: Ashton could be in with a fair shout for selection for World Cup 2006 at this rate. But only if he''s playing in the premiership.

I know he''s young but if we go down I think he''ll find it hard to resist staying in the top flight, and there will be plenty of mid table prem clubs interested. No club keeps a player who doesn''t really want to be there.

At least it''ll be good business -- will prob make a few mill.

just thinking how dearly missed he would be, and hes only been at the club a few months!

When you consider that Everton paid 7 or 8 million for Beattie, then Deano has got to be worth at least that; he makes Beattie look like a carthorse in comparison. The point about him pushing for the World Cup squad is, sadly, extremely valid and I think that we WILL lose him if we go down. It''s what the Board do with the money that will be crucial; will they let NW have all of the 7 million to spend on players, or will they grab 2 or 3 million to wipe out some of the debt?

I recall from a previous thread on this subject a while back that there is certainly a release clause, but the conditions are unknown (for instance does the offer have to be above a certain amount?)

However what I think is likely to keep him here is that he''s only been with us three months and although he has scored good goals and 4 in 3 games, he has not yet done it at a high level over a whole season or two. For £7million+ a clubs want proven top level pedigree. we feel its there, but any buyer would need to be sure its not just a purple patch. Does anyone remember Ross Jack back in the early 80s? he scored good few of goals in a short spell of games and then just disappeared. So a top club will be wary of the risk.

Also, he''s only 21 and has plenty of time to do 2 or 3 years with us, hopefully in the Prem. Why risk being seen as an Anelka type mercenary?