Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Couple of interesting end of season stats

Haven''t seen this posted anywhere else but int the observer on Sunday they had the usual end of season review. This included some stats where Norwich players appear.

John Ruddy was the goalkeeper with the third highest number of saves (David Marshall was top). Not really a surprise but just shows how ridiculous it is that he has been left out of the World Cup squad.

What may surprise some here is that snodgrass was the ninth best ''creative'' in the league! He created, including assists, 65 chances. It has surprised me how much grief he has got on this board when he was easily our best player last season.

If we could somehow manage to keep those two I feel we have a great chance of coming back to the premiership next season

He should be in instead of Foster who didn''t fancy England games for two years. Ruddy has turned up to all the squads and sat on benches and is shunned for a part timer. Not fair on the man.

The problem is down to the definition of ''chance'', if it''s simply a relatively accurate cross into the area for example then it goes down as creating a chance - even if it''s completely the wrong ball for the situation and the striker is 1-2 yards infront/behind the ball...Snoddy makes us too one-sided, slows play down way too much and his ridiculous levels of play acting are really starting to grate tbh.Frankly I won''t be overly disappointed to see him leave for a decent fee as he just isn''t THAT good.

Agreed Indy, but my only qualification would be if he plays as a No10 central role or down the left. Having him down the right was one of our major issues the last two seasons and it was shown up neatly against Chelsea when with a little more pace and on his stronger foot he might have got a shot away before Cahill overtook him. The other factor is the free kicks: we don''t have another player who is as dangerous around the box. And I have to say that Adams'' playing of him again down the right has dented my confidence in Adams'' judgement somewhat.

Completely agree with Indie and Tumbleweed.

He has apparently played well and been rewarded for Scotland where Strachan has played him centrally.

If we keep him (although I would also be happy enough to see him go for as decent fee as I also don''t think he is THAT good) I hope he does not play on the right.

I will also say that I can''t see many possibilities of a move to the Premiership for him, only to Celtic.

As I have said on other threads, time will tell.

The centre left argument is an interesting one,   but the evidence for us differs - for the two games he started centrally snoddy was poor,  and his efforts on the left flank are nowhere near as strong as the ones he plays on the right.

He is an enigma.

As for 65 chances - he sees so much of the ball in open play and takes such a high proportion of dead balls its really not  a surprise;  the quality of them have been poor,  hence the poor return of goals from them,  eg being behind Redderz who has a much higher success rate.   

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Completely agree with Indie and Tumbleweed.

He has apparently played well and been rewarded for Scotland where Strachan has played him centrally.

If we keep him (although I would also be happy enough to see him go for as decent fee as I also don''t think he is THAT good) I hope he does not play on the right.

I will also say that I can''t see many possibilities of a move to the Premiership for him, only to Celtic.

As I have said on other threads, time will tell.[/quote]

At least half of the PL teams would buy him, simply based on his stats. That is half the problem with modern coaches - too much reliance on stats and not enough on using their eyes.

Snodgrass is a very hard working player but his contribution based on possession level is extremely poor. You would have to watch him regularly to know that though.

I feel sorry for Ruddy but, as others have observed, despite a goodly number of clean sheets, he has still let in a large number of goals, and I and some others think that he has not really recaptured his form of the time before the terrible injury.

The number of saves criterion should be taken with the number of goals conceded.How would he emerge then? And in comparing keepers'' records some consideration of the quality of the defence in front of him should be added.

On Snoddy also, I think that the picture would be more complete with further information, on the quality of the crosses/passes. He may have created 65 assists,but how many goals did we score from these? Given that we scored fewer goals than any other team, in the four divisions, according to Michael Bailey, how many did we actually score from his passes/crosses? Our attacks down the right tend to be rather slow, with the result that opposing defenders are usually back in numbers and making scoring more difficult.

[quote user="sgncfc"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]Completely agree with Indie and Tumbleweed.

As I have said on other threads, time will tell.[/quote]

At least half of the PL teams would buy him, simply based on his stats. That is half the problem with modern coaches - too much reliance on stats and not enough on using their eyes.

Snodgrass is a very hard working player but his contribution based on possession level is extremely poor. You would have to watch him regularly to know that though.[/quote]

I agree and have been saying the same since he got here, but that view is often ridculed as a plastic''s view by those that think they know better because they go every week.  Funny how some people see it differently.    

To me he is good and bad - his dominating the ball means good things are usually down to him, but it also means a lot of the slow play, loss of possession, delayed crosses, defenders closing down etc etc are down to him too.  

As for Ruddy, he will benefit from a season where less goals are scored against him. Plenty of clean sheets this season, but too many tonkings (3s, 4s, 5s, etc) are not good for a goalkeeper''s overall confidence.  His chance will come again.

Snoddy will be an absolute beast in the championship. His lack of pace isnt such an issue there. A midfield 4 picked from Howson Tettey Johnson Snodgrass Murphy Bennett and Redmond (I presume Fer, Pilks and Hoolahan will be off) will be pretty decent.

To my mind the most interesting stat at the end of the season is that, after all the pre-season hype and expectation, we finished with the same number of points and an almost identical goal difference as in 2004-05.