Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Back

Leicester to spend £180m

Not ncfc but quite a remarkable thing for a newly-pomoted chairman to say. Wants them in Europe within 3 season. So odds are they''ll probably be back in the championship in a few years..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27387616

Quite astounded that they have come out with this the moment they get promotion - why would you get fans hopes up like that when you know you are likely to be fighting for survival in your first year? (or third if you''re us)

Yes it''s ambition, but sometimes targets like this should be kept in the boardroom. Now the supporters will be fuming when they take on players like Rio Ferdinand on 50k a week and sit in the bottom 3 for most of next year...

Tan said almost exactly the same thing when Cardiff were promoted - he then changed his tune when it turned out you can''t just throw money at players and they will magically come to your club. This is mainly just a PR thing, and a little rush of blood to the head after promotion.

Also, I think someone will be having a quiet word in his ear about the FFP rules than prevent clubs expanding their wage budgets too quickly.

Well if he can stay up in his first year, they could well do a Southampton. That first year will be tough though and like Southampton, if any players do well, Liverpool and Man U etc will swoop.

So is it worth having an owner who''s name you can''t spell, if he''s willing to spend £180m on the club ?

Also, anyone Leicester want to buy has probably just got a bit more expensive.

I think getting into the top 5 is a bit harder than these billionaires think, but I agree they could do a Southampton if they spend it wisely.

Not a lot clubs like us can do if there are clauses in contracts. The players will want massive wages though.

I actually think they would be far better keeping most of the team but adding that bit of pace and class to it. We came up and stayed far better than QPR for instance.

You need a mobile centre back, a bit of pace at full back, some energy and some creativity in the middle and at least one very strong centre forward to ensure 17th. We were just lacking the centre forward last season.

I really do hate all the suggardaddy clubs. Chelsea was the first and thanks to them and their owners football prices have spiraled out of control. So I love seeing the likes of QPR, Fulham, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Blackburn, Cardiff Bolton, Birmingham etc struggle.

With any luck Leicester, Hull and Southampton will be relegated next and the sensible clubs like Swansea, West Brom and Palace stay up.

Another sad thing about our relegation is it''s another loss for clubs who live within their means and do things the right way

Top five within three years with only 180 million?

Yep dream on bud

Putting good money on Pearson to be first manager sacked

The funny thing is, the guy chose Leicester because they play in blue (the colour of his company) and were in the Championship (so more of a challenge). Oh Ipswich it could have been you.

I have read that as being £180m over 3 years to be spent on buying players and their wages. Not enough money to do it. The owner maybe rich, but it is unlikely that he is stupid.

Such situations worry me and make me thankful that we are not owned by some rich pillock from Thailand.

[quote user="Darth Catbeard The Old"]I really do hate all the suggardaddy clubs. Chelsea was the first and thanks to them and their owners football prices have spiraled out of control. So I love seeing the likes of QPR, Fulham, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Blackburn, Cardiff Bolton, Birmingham etc struggle.

With any luck Leicester, Hull and Southampton will be relegated next and the sensible clubs like Swansea, West Brom and Palace stay up.

Another sad thing about our relegation is it''s another loss for clubs who live within their means and do things the right way[/quote]

Every club has a wealthy owner these days, it''s just a question of degree. Ours isn''t the wealthiest but she also isn''t the poorest.

When you get a minute, just run down the PL and the Championship and work out where our owners stand in the money league. Puts everything into perspective. Even after relegation we are punching well above our weight.

Weren''t Blackburn Rovers the first sugar-daddy club in ''95?

I remember at the time thinking that they''d essentially just bought the league title.

Still, we got a few quid for Sutton !

Why on earth would Leicester want to do that when according to many on here finances have no impact on performance.