Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Are the fans to blame for relegation?

Am I the only one who thinks that a large number of the fans

need to take their share of the blame for this relegation? The anti-Hughton

agenda created a poisonous atmosphere around the club and no doubt made it hard

for the manager and players to work in.

Hughton wasn’t doing a bad job. He had us hovering around 14th/15th/16th,

which for a club our size, at this moment in time, is decent. People point to the fact we spent a lot of

money this season, but Cardiff spent more than us on transfer fees, Fulham

spent £12m on one player which is quite a bit more than our record signing, and

clubs like West Ham and Sunderland will no doubt have had a higher wage bill

than us.

What were we expecting of Hughton? A top half finish? I

understand that the style of football was terribly negative, and to beat him

with that stick is fair enough, but I would rather survive playing defensively

than get relegated. Obviously in a perfect world it is possible to do both, but

staying up has to be the priority. And Adams’ approach to his five games in

charge was very similar (there was no difference in the Fulham game, for

example) but he has been given an easier ride, simply because he isn’t Chris Hughton.

Sure, Hughton did make mistakes, some of the players may

have underperformed, and they obviously need to take some of the blame too. But

the fans conducting a witch-hunt to get rid of a manager who was doing just

fine with the resources available to him need to have a look at themselves too.

It seems that a large number got carried away and got ideas above our station.

I''d say the anti Hughton agenda created a poisonous atmosphere on this message board, but not in the stadium. The atmosphere only went bad when we played badly and struggled when we maybe shouldn''t have. Every single club has fans who voice frustrations, ours is no different. Maybe it''s the lack of a right to do so, that spread the atmosphere, rather than just accepting that some fans might disagree. Too late now, we''re down.

[quote user="Buzz Killington"]I''d say the anti Hughton agenda created a poisonous atmosphere on this message board, but not in the stadium. The atmosphere only went bad when we played badly and struggled when we maybe shouldn''t have. Every single club has fans who voice frustrations, ours is no different. Maybe it''s the lack of a right to do so, that spread the atmosphere, rather than just accepting that some fans might disagree. Too late now, we''re down.[/quote]To be honest, I can''t really comment on what the impact was on this messageboard because this is the first time I have been on it in months. During the bad times, reading all the negativity (and the nonsense from a small number of idiots) just annoys me too much. But the anti-Hughton agenda certainly spread beyond messageboards.Obviously every club has fans who complain, and in some cases they have a right to do so, but I feel this anti-Hughton bandwagon that so many seemed to jump on just because it was the ''in thing'' at the time was so unnecessary and disproportionate to what was actually going on in the bigger picture.

Signed players who had no bottle, no connection with the fans, then made the squad he had assembled worse by removing the team spirit and setting us up with a negative mentality.

It was Hughtons signings that cost him his job, Becchio and Hoolahans outbursts summed up the Divisions in the squad.

We went down because of what happened on the pitch, we just wanted a team to have a go and play with some pride.

Those not bright enough to grasp reality certainly have not helped. Easy to criticise but none of them do anything positive and have none of the ability, experience or talent of those they criticise.

Here''s a thought...maybe the anti-Hughton campaign was because most people realised where he was taking us. The fans are not to blame - look at our fantastic away support! With the shocking football they were seeing it was hard to remain positive. Stop looking for answers when the real truth hurts...the board waited too long, Hughton was always the wrong man, and some of the players (not all) were not up for a fight. What we need now is the right appointment to galvanise players and supporters.

Fans moan at every club, ours is no different, I actually think out support was fairly patient considering the rubbish we endured for 2 years, but ultimately it is down to the players and the manager. You cannot blame the fans for our relegation.

The snake pit and lower Barclay were as quiet as a mouse today and have been for most of the season. The poorest support from them that I have ever seen

Fans are fickle. They don''t all worry about the big picture - that''s for the people who run the club. No fan was wrong to expect better following our outlay, and well publicised lack of debt. The fans have only expected what was achieved in previous seasons, under more pressing conditions (debt, low spending). We''ve been the perfect example of a club sleepwalking towards relegation. I went to Hull away, and we were awful. Playing against a promoted team with 10 men for an hour, and we had one shot. How were the fans to blame for that? 3000 city fans having a right go, not backed up at all by their team. It took months of those performances before fans started to lose patience.

No the fans are not to blame. The fans could see what was happening where no one else could, The fans were right.

Apart from the WBA game, I think the fans done the best job they could, bearing in mind the dross served up nearly every week.

I was thinking this the other day no fans are not to blame but we did give the board a easy ride they knew we were not happy with polls etc but  I don''t think hughton wouldn''t have kept his job as long if more anti hughton songs maybe a protest ( not saying these are the right way )I think McNally thought the fans would accept hughton till end of season  so not to blame at all but I think our support was seen as blind faith ! and we would follow the board I think next time they will be told a lot louder !

[quote user="Yellow Bird"]No the fans are not to blame. The fans could see what was happening where no one else could, The fans were right.

Apart from the WBA game, I think the fans done the best job they could, bearing in mind the dross served up nearly every week.[/quote]To imply the fans know more than the people running the club, especially McNally after the wonders he has worked, is a bit naive.[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Serious question but how can fans be accountable for a club''s relegation?[/quote]As

I said in the opening paragraph, there were a large number that created

a negative atmosphere around the club. The manager and players would

have picked up on it, no doubt.[quote user="Fer Kin Hell"]Here''s a thought...maybe the anti-Hughton

campaign was because most people realised where he was taking us. The

fans are not to blame - look at our fantastic away support! With the

shocking football they were seeing it was hard to remain positive. Stop

looking for answers when the real truth hurts...the board waited too

long, Hughton was always the wrong man, and some of the players (not

all) were not up for a fight. What we need now is the right appointment

to galvanise players and supporters.[/quote]"Where he was taking

us"? I don''t think he was taking us anywhere. Just before Christmas when

the anti-Hughton campaign really kicked in, we were a few points above

safety. I do agree, however, agree that Hughton probably

wasn''t the right man when he was appointed. I was a little underwhelmed

and thought it was a fairly uninspired choice. But for most of the

season, where we were was par for the course, so there was no need to

hound him out. As I said before, the football was negative and pretty

depressing to watch, but results, and our position in the table, should come before performances.

I do believe NCFC fans are, in the majority of cases, quite happy with their lot and position in the football world as long as they feel they are not only being entertained but give a bit of value added for their hard earned money.

Most don''t expect or clamour for, success. They are clear headed enough to realise that success measured purely on league position is a transient thing at best for our club. And history backs that up.

Of course some moan no matter the fayre served up, some can see no wrong in anything that happens to the club.

And until the club is run as a one season ticket one vote club, no supporter can be blamed for any of the failings on the pitch. No fan missed that crucial penalty against Villa for instance. Or of course, wasted millions on players who have come in for some terrible stick, but probably just aren''t the right players for us.

of course the fans are to blame, we shoulf have had the Hughton out chants sooner, preferably at the end of last season.

I guess the OP doesnt go to carrow rd

Yes the fans are to blame in part. Those fans that stuck with Hughton despite what was so obviously happening. I regret I count myself amongst those that stuck with him, to a point, because I mistakenly had come to believe he was building something.

I was wrong. If the fans had reacted a bit sooner, as they did after WBA, my guess, and it is only a guess, is that we would still be EPL.

We as fans are absolutely to blame for relegation, but for the exact opposite reasons suggested by the OP. At any other club in the league, Hootun would have been hounded out by the fans mid way through last season after the consistent dross he served up. Humiliation after humiliation without the crowd turning on him. The board were happy so sit on their hands up until the West Brom game when finally the Hootun Out chant got a proper airing. No coincidence that he promptly gets sacked. This is how football clubs often work; it takes popular unrest to force those in power to act. Our problem is the thousands of plastic (for want of a better word) fans who tolerated the garbage on the pitch, and wouldn''t dissent. Witness for example the morons applauding players on the pitch after the latest no-show today! We are tin-pot I''m afraid, and the lack of pressure applied on the board means we have got exactly what we deserve. I love the club, but am hugely embarrassed by a huge number of our ''fans''.

City 2nd wrote the following post at 11/05/2014 7:15 PM:

Pathetic!!

Explain?

No, OP, the fans are in no way to blame for the club''s relegation. There''s never been a negative or poisonous atmosphere except until the end of the WBA game; in fact Carrow Road sells out every single week and we take thousands to away games where the team is set up to not have any shots on target. There has been an undercurrent of ''Hughton Out'' on Canary Call and on the boards but there''s always a vocal minority. Do you really think NCFC players are listening to Radio Norfolk at 5pm on a match day? Apart from that us fans have been going to every game and watching awful, awful games of football which are uninspiring, boring and passionless. IMHO the 1-0 loss at home to none-league Luton at home is still worse than the 7-1 defeat to Colchester and still many fans stuck by Hughton because of this ridiculous ''nice guy'' tag which I still have no idea how he''s developed. Fans stuck by him after 7-0 losses and games without any attempts let alone any attempts on target.I put 99.9% of our relegation firmly at the feet of Hughton and his coaching staff for negative tactics, destroying the confidence of players, picking favourites and selling others or refusing to play them, not changing tactics, making like-for-like swaps, not having a clue who our penalty taker is etc etc. 0.1% goes to the players. The most annoying thing about this year is still opposition supporters who are surprised at why we sacked Hughton because he''s ''nice'' and done a good job for us.

Russell Martin hit the nail on the head the other day when he said the club had lost its identity. This goes for the fans we have attracted far to many plastic fans over the past 3 seasons.

Hopefully both on and off the field we can get our club back

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="Yellow Bird"]No the fans are not to blame. The fans could see what was happening where no one else could, The fans were right.

Apart from the WBA game, I think the fans done the best job they could, bearing in mind the dross served up nearly every week.[/quote]To imply the fans know more than the people running the club, especially McNally after the wonders he has worked, is a bit naive.[quote user="Chunky Norwich"]Serious question but how can fans be accountable for a club''s relegation?[/quote]As

I said in the opening paragraph, there were a large number that created

a negative atmosphere around the club. The manager and players would

have picked up on it, no doubt.[quote user="Fer Kin Hell"]Here''s a thought...maybe the anti-Hughton

campaign was because most people realised where he was taking us. The

fans are not to blame - look at our fantastic away support! With the

shocking football they were seeing it was hard to remain positive. Stop

looking for answers when the real truth hurts...the board waited too

long, Hughton was always the wrong man, and some of the players (not

all) were not up for a fight. What we need now is the right appointment

to galvanise players and supporters.[/quote]"Where he was taking

us"? I don''t think he was taking us anywhere. Just before Christmas when

the anti-Hughton campaign really kicked in, we were a few points above

safety. I do agree, however, agree that Hughton probably

wasn''t the right man when he was appointed. I was a little underwhelmed

and thought it was a fairly uninspired choice. But for most of the

season, where we were was par for the course, so there was no need to

hound him out. As I said before, the football was negative and pretty

depressing to watch, but results, and our position in the table, should come before performances.[/quote]

It''s not naive to have realised Hughton was not the man to save us. If the board hadn''t been naive, we would still be in the premiership. The board have, up until this decision, been fabulous, and I mean that. Mistakes were made by the board, and it has cost us our place in the top flight.

There appears to be some recognition of that in the statement

No the fans are not to blame, the blame is due to some of the players not up to standard, The Manager and the board failing to act sooner. All in all we were not good enough to stay in the Premiership. Better get it right now!!!

May I just say that I am not saying the fans ARE to blame for relegation.... I am just saying that the ''Hughton out'' under-current has not helped our cause.In hindsight, we should have sacked Hughton last summer. The results and performances in the second half of the season were absolutely dreadful, and how we finished 11th I will never know. They say the league table never lies at the end of a season- but it did for us last year.However, I don''t think we were bad enough this season to warrant a massive ''Hughton out'' campaign. He was the man in charge, we were teetering on the edge of a relegation battle but not necessarily in it, and we should''ve got behind him. The negativity didn''t help. The players obviously weren''t listening to Canary Call, but they were obviously aware of these things.[quote user="Yellow Bird"]

It''s not naive to have realised Hughton was not the man to save us. If the board hadn''t been naive, we would still be in the premiership. The board have, up until this decision, been fabulous, and I mean that. Mistakes were made by the board, and it has cost us our place in the top flight.[/quote]I agree with this, for the most part. Like I said, the board probably should''ve got rid of Hughton last summer, but I don''t think they were wrong for keeping faith with him during the season. You never know, we might have stayed up had we kept Hughton, then we could''ve got rid of him in the summer (which I would''ve been in favour of) and started again. But I believe we should have been behind him during the season, and all pulled in the same direction.I have seen some people criticising McNally and the board, using words such as ''disgusting'', and calling for the heads, and that is absolutely disgraceful in my opinion. McNally has worked wonders since he has been here, on and off the pitch, and has been the most important individual in our rise from the depths of League One.But yes, McNally has made mistakes this season. It is easy to be wise after the event, but Hughton probably should''ve gone last summer. McNally shouldn''t have publicly said he was looking at other managers while Hughton was in a job- that sort of comment wasn''t helpful. And he probably shouldn''t have sacked Hughton when he did, because Adams hasn''t done any better, and hasn''t really changed things very much.But what is done is done. We now need the board to make the correct appointment, get promoted this season or next, and come back stronger.

I must have slept through the games where there was a "massive Hughton Out campaign", I know a lot of the games were about as entertaining as an Antiques Roadshow double bill, but I didn''t realise they were that bad.