Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Are the fans to blame for relegation?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I must have slept through the games where there was a "massive Hughton Out campaign", I know a lot of the games were about as entertaining as an Antiques Roadshow double bill, but I didn''t realise they were that bad.[/quote]I didn''t say they were at the games...

I must admit I didn''t read your whole post, could you clarify for me, are you saying that stuff posted on the Pink''Un/WOTB/Twitter about fans wanting a change of manager played a part in our relegation then?

[quote user="city4eva"]of course the fans are to blame, we shoulf have had the Hughton out chants sooner, preferably at the end of last season.

I guess the OP doesnt go to carrow rd[/quote]

Try not to be so hard on yourself. We all make mistakes and there''s always things we "could have done".

At least I don''t blame you buddy but if the burden gets too much to bear always remember confession is good for the soul...

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I must admit I didn''t read your whole post, could you clarify for me, are you saying that stuff posted on the Pink''Un/WOTB/Twitter about fans wanting a change of manager played a part in our relegation then?[/quote]All of this negativity will have passed down to the players, so quite possibly. It may not seem like much, but the negative atmosphere will no doubt filter through.A positive club where everyone is pulling in the same direction will function better than one where there are divisions, such as the one between fans and manager, because the negativity spreads.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I wonder where that negativity originated?[/quote]Impatient, plastic fans that we picked up during our successful years?Fans that never knew the hard times and weren''t willing to be a bit more understanding?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Or Morty, fans that had seen us at our lowest point didn''t want to return there unnecessarily.[/quote]As opposed to doing it necessarily?Look, I really can''t be bothered to go round in circles with this, like it will likely do, it really doesn''t matter now.Lets just leave it that I think the OP has a point.

I think it comes down to expectations, really.In the reality of modern football, we should really just be happy to be in the Premier League. Getting to the stage where we are a mid-table club who won''t have to worry about relegation is probably the best we can hope for unless there are significant changes down the line. Having tolerated the dark days of Grant and Roeder, I would be happy for us to be finishing 15th or 16th this season, and maybe progressing in the future.I would say I am realistic. Others may think I am a ''happy clapper''.The people who would say a fan like myself is a ''happy clapper'' would believe that because we spent more money than ever before last summer, we should be playing exciting, attacking football, be competing in the top half and challenging for a Europa spot, as some were at the start of the season.They would claim to be ambitious. I would say they are living in cloud cuckoo land.But that is the wonderful thing about football- we all have opinions.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Me neither, I''ll just say that I feel relegation was completely avoidable this season and that he doesn''t.[/quote]Of course relegation was avoidable! Where have I said otherwise?I just feel that if we had all been pulling in the same direction, then surely that would''ve been better for everyone? Rather than moaning about everything the manager did? It wasn''t helpful.

felixfan Fans can never be blamed. Any other club and they would have protested months ago.                  

that''s is part of my point Norwich fans were behind the team and I think the board took this as we are under no pressure to act like others have said wba the pressure of fans hit home to the board and the axe fell could / should we have pressured the board (somehow ?) before wba !

now that''s not the fans fault why we went down but would that of got rid of hughton quicker ?

That was in reply to Morty.

Of course it would be better, but people aren''t going to just bury their heads in the sand and pretend everything is ok when it''s fairly obvious that a failing manager is taking us towards relegation, but I don''t but into the idea that discussing it on an internet messageboard had any effect on what happens on the pitch.

*sigh*And in what universe could you guarantee that had we got rid of Hughton quicker, that things would have turned out better?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Well it couldn''t have turned out a lot worse could it.[/quote]And thats it, thats your debate?This is why this is pointless.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]That was in reply to Morty.

Of course it would be better, but people aren''t going to just bury their heads in the sand and pretend everything is ok when it''s fairly obvious that a failing manager is taking us towards relegation, but I don''t but into the idea that discussing it on an internet messageboard had any effect on what happens on the pitch.[/quote]Yeah, I know you were replying to Morty, but the ''he'' you referred to was me, was it not? Sorry if it wasn''t.I don''t think it was ''fairly obvious'' Hughton was taking is to relegation though.And players will no doubt be aware of what the general feeling is amongst fans, whether it is by reading messageboards themselves or seeing them in the street. So it will trickle down, especially something as the ''Hughton out'' campaign, which would''ve been impossible.

Well you''re asking an impossible question aren''t you, I can''t possibly guarantee how things would have turned out in a parallel universe, but I do know that sticking as long as we did got us relegated. Ergo, it couldn''t have turned out worse.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Well you''re asking an impossible question aren''t you, I can''t possibly guarantee how things would have turned out in a parallel universe, but I do know that sticking as long as we did got us relegated. Ergo, it couldn''t have turned out worse.[/quote]We weren''t in the relegation places when Hughton was sacked.But, like you agree, a pointless debate.

No we weren''t, but there was absolutely nothing in our form or his overall record to suggest he''d have taken 4 or 5 points from that run of 5 fixtures.

We all knew we had to be safe by the time we played Fulham, bottom line is we weren''t and we paid the price.

Fans have relatively limited power to force change so I don''t believe supporters are to blame. Blame sits firmly with the board for its inaction. Arguably, if the crowd had expressed its displeasure more vocally and earlier, perhaps, the board would have acted sooner but I''m not convinced.

I have said similar things to the op - he may be more diplomatic than me - but the sentiment is the same.   Fans are part of the club and there is no point in pretending that there not been an undercurrent of negativity throughout the club and its fans.  The team suffered at first after Lambert left and Hughton arrived - new man new ideas - players made to think more and have more responsibility. The fans too  at first - many not liking the work on the defence, even though it was recognised by many that actually that was what was required.   So the negativity has been there on both sides from the beginning - the players and the fans.  That was not good for the morale of the club.     An undercurrent of negativity around the place is hard to shake off - not just at matches, but people talking to each other at work, in pubs, twitter, this board, etc etc. Negativity is corrosive.

It was up to Hughton to somehow get past this and get an air of positivity going. That he didn''t - and ran out of ideas, is why we are where we are, but imo fans are part of the equation.  Maybe "blame" is too strong a word, but negativity in any form, whether its from manager, players, or fans is never going to help a club pull together and move forward.     I''ve read that some people think that our fans have been patient - well a lot of them have - but it could have boiled from the time of the Man City game at CR this season but the home form was just good enough to stop that happening until the WBA match.   That undercurrent has been with us fans - and the team - and the manager - for most of this season as well as a large part of last season.  

Premier League totally went to some fans heads and they lost their s4it big time.

Too much champ manager and FIFA

Am I glad that there will be less internet coverage and no MOTD for Norwich next year? Gotta be a yes I''m afraid.

the money, the exposure, turns your fanbase into vegetables, just look at the Arsenal fans out for their one game a year today, morons.