Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

John Ruddy

Just read the John Ruddy interview and was delighted with what he said. Great attitude and possesses that rare commodity called loyalty. Sounds like he really is genuine about staying with us and with commitment like that from a goalkeeper who really should be in the England World Cup squad it sends out a truly positive message and gives us a great foundation to start the re-building of our team for the Championship next season.

Hopefully what he said rubs off on some of the other players. I know goalies are a controversial choice, but I wouldn''t be averse to having him as captain next season.

Agreed, I too was very impressed with the way he spoke, especially on the England situation. Would love to know what his actual words to Roy were, sounds like he stood up for himself though. Good for him

Respect to John for coming out so early and saying this. It shows that he really cares for the club, respects the fans and has belief in Norwich''s ability to be competitive next year. Hope others follow suit.Moo

Nothing against Ruddy but all he''s basically said he''s staying at Norwich unless an offer comes in.

That''s going to be the same for pretty much every player we''ve got. They''ll stay unless something better comes along.

[quote user="GJP"]

Nothing against Ruddy but all he''s basically said he''s staying at Norwich unless an offer comes in.

That''s going to be the same for pretty much every player we''ve got. They''ll stay unless something better comes along.

[/quote]Pretty much that, unfortunately.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Pretty much that, unfortunately.[/quote]

Not at all. He''s saying he''s staying at Norwich unless the CLUB decide to sell him. Big difference.

Chuffed with that. We''ll need players like that next year.

Desperately disappointing that Roy opted for Foster over Ruddy. I hope Ruddy gave him an earful down the phone!

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"][quote user="morty"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]Pretty much that, unfortunately.[/quote]

Not at all. He''s saying he''s staying at Norwich unless the CLUB decide to sell him. Big difference.[/quote]Not really, the end result is the same. If the right club comes in with the right money, he will be gone.And you would never know the truth of whose call it was anyway.But he is under contract, so of course it would be the club''s decision.

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]Chuffed with that. We''ll need players like that next year.

Desperately disappointing that Roy opted for Foster over Ruddy. I hope Ruddy gave him an earful down the phone![/quote]

The part which disappointed me was Hodgson courting Foster to return to the England fold after the player had washed his hands of international football and "retired."

When John Terry''s name was put before Hodgson he was rejected on the basis that he had retired and that was that. He then seeks out his former player and persuades him to make himself available again after two years out.

I feel that whole episode really stinks and must make Ruddy all the more disappointed.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Hopefully what he said rubs off on some of the other players. I know goalies are a controversial choice, but I wouldn''t be averse to having him as captain next season.[/quote]

I think goalkeepers make good captains.  They are able to assess the game in progress from a distance (assuming they are not too busy - no jokes please).

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Hopefully what he said rubs off on some of the other players. I know goalies are a controversial choice, but I wouldn''t be averse to having him as captain next season.[/quote]

I think goalkeepers make good captains.  They are able to assess the game in progress from a distance (assuming they are not too busy - no jokes please).

Agree with Kangaroo Court. Ruddy has always struck me as a genuinely honest and decent person. He has previously referred to his 4 year contract and stated how happy he and his family are in Norfolk and does so again :

" I’m very happy at Norwich. My family are very settled. Unless the club turn around to me and say we’ve accepted an offer for you, then I’ll be a Norwich player come next season. Norwich fans are fantastic. They’ve been very good with me. I had a tough time when I first joined here and they could easily have turned against me but they stuck by me, and I would like to think I have repaid their faith."

That seems pretty clear and straightforward to me and I find it refreshing that one of our players should step forward and pin his green and yellow colours to the flag. What a boost that is for all of us at this time.

[quote user="Snoots"]Agree with Kangaroo Court. Ruddy has always struck me as a genuinely honest and decent person. He has previously referred to his 4 year contract and stated how happy he and his family are in Norfolk and does so again :

" I’m very happy at Norwich. My family are very settled. Unless the club turn around to me and say we’ve accepted an offer for you, then I’ll be a Norwich player come next season. Norwich fans are fantastic. They’ve been very good with me. I had a tough time when I first joined here and they could easily have turned against me but they stuck by me, and I would like to think I have repaid their faith."

That seems pretty clear and straightforward to me and I find it refreshing that one of our players should step forward and pin his green and yellow colours to the flag. What a boost that is for all of us at this time.[/quote]

Agreed. The club and fans have treated John well - he is showing loyalty to repay that. Very decent bloke and he is the player I most hope stays with us. It is an absolute travesty that he is not in the England squad - far better keeper than Foster and more proven than Forster. Roy, you messed up big time. Real shame for John and real shame for England should Hart get injured.

Here you go El Convento ........

Norwich City’s England international John Ruddy is ready to stay at Carrow Road and lead the Canaries’ bid to bounce back following Premier League relegation.

Comments Email Print

Ruddy has already been linked with a £5m move to Crystal Palace since the end of the league season, but despite missing out on a World Cup squad place earlier this week the 27-year-old sees his future with the Canaries.

“I’m not a quitter, definitely not,” he said. “I signed a new contract with Norwich in October. I’ve got three seasons left on that contract. The situation is the same as it was last summer. There was a bit of interest from Chelsea, but Norwich didn’t receive a bid they deemed acceptable. If that’s the same case this summer then I’ve no problem with that. I’m very happy at Norwich. My family are very settled. Unless the club turn around to me and say we’ve accepted an offer for you, then I’ll be a Norwich player come next season. Norwich fans are fantastic. They’ve been very good with me. I had a tough time when I first joined here and they could easily have turned against me but they stuck by me, and I would like to think I have repaid their faith.”

Ruddy, speaking to the Daily Telegraph, revealed how much his England snub had hurt him after Roy Hodgson opted to name Joe Hart, Ben Foster and Fraser Forster in his 23-man squad and leave Ruddy on stand-by.

“I don’t think enough people really understand how much it does mean to players to miss out on a World Cup squad – or any international squad. I was very hurt by the fact that I’d been overlooked,” he said. “Some people might call me bitter but it’s not bitterness. It’s just sheer disappointment at not being able to be a part of it. You have similar disappointments in any walk of life but being in the England national side, in a game watched worldwide, it gets magnified.

“I am patriotic. This is England. This is a World Cup. This is an opportunity to wear those Three Lions on your chest. That’s something that any young boy or young girl – or any grown-up – would give anything for.

“I’ve been in squads for the last two years, and never really got a fair crack of the whip in terms of game time. I’ve never kicked up a fuss. I have given my all when there with England. It’s something I’m very proud of. The one thing people can’t take away from me is the cap I’ve got hanging in my house now. If that’s the only cap I earn then it’ll be the proudest moment of my career by a million miles. To represent your country is the pinnacle.

“I found out a couple of days before Roy phoned me that I would be on standby. To have 48 hours to digest it before speaking to him really gave me a chance to think over what I was going to say to him.

“It gave me a chance to get it off my chest, which is healthy, I needed to do that for my own personal satisfaction, to let Roy know that I do care. I made it perfectly clear to Roy I felt he made a bad call.”

I don''t deny that John Ruddy likes it here and wouldn''t be against staying.But I think its extremely naive of anyone to believe that guarantees he will be here next season.

[quote user="morty"]I don''t deny that John Ruddy likes it here and wouldn''t be against staying.But I think its extremely naive of anyone to believe that guarantees he will be here next season.[/quote]

Crossed my mind. One offer too good to refuse could, in theory fund 2-3 decent outfield players.

I don''t know why you''re trying to put a negative spin on this morty. Ruddy is showing admirable loyalty which is rare in football these days. Of course it doesn''t guarantee he''ll be here next season because the club might decide to cash in and go for Rudd instead. A few days ago I would have said this was a good idea but now I don''t think so. We need leaders at the club right now and Ruddy is proving himself to be one.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I don''t know why you''re trying to put a negative spin on this morty. Ruddy is showing admirable loyalty which is rare in football these days. Of course it doesn''t guarantee he''ll be here next season because the club might decide to cash in and go for Rudd instead. A few days ago I would have said this was a good idea but now I don''t think so. We need leaders at the club right now and Ruddy is proving himself to be one.[/quote]I am not putting any spin on it, I am just taking his words at face value, I''m sure he means them right now, but if Arsenal come knocking with ten million quid.....

Exactly morty, it is not always up to the players if they go or not really. £12m bid comes in, we might be telling john he should go like Carroll at Newcastle who didnt want to leave. It is reassuring to know that probably our best player has them feelings though and doesn''t want to leave. If he kicked up a fuss wes style, he would be a £4m keeper at best.

Ruddy has shown his dedication to the club by saying he''s happy to stay despite the fact that he is now on a lower salary and out of the England squad. It shows he''s not greedy for money or international call-ups. I think he''s also happy to stay here as he knows he''s popular with the fans and will get regular first team football

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Kangaroo Court"]I don''t know why you''re trying to put a negative spin on this morty. Ruddy is showing admirable loyalty which is rare in football these days. Of course it doesn''t guarantee he''ll be here next season because the club might decide to cash in and go for Rudd instead. A few days ago I would have said this was a good idea but now I don''t think so. We need leaders at the club right now and Ruddy is proving himself to be one.[/quote]

I am not putting any spin on it, I am just taking his words at face value, I''m sure he means them right now, but if Arsenal come knocking with ten million quid.....
[/quote]

Exactly. And it probably won''t even need to be as big as Arsenal or as much as £10m.

I don''t think we''ll price him out of a move either. I think we''ll be pretty reasonable if a buyer comes in with a decent offer.

The key is he''s not going to be rocking the boat for a move, that''s all you can ask of any of your top players when they do find themselves part of a relegated club. Something tells me others will be more determined to leverage a move or will get a colossal sulk on if they don''t get a move that suits them.

As was argued last Summer, from a career perspective it can be argued that number two at Chelsea might have been more efficacious than number one at Norwich. Indeed, with Cech''s injury this is even more likely to have been the case.

Isn''t there the small issue of a world class goalkeeper that plays for Chelsea currently on loan in the Spanish league? I think people find it hard to understand that Ruddy is happy here, his young family is happy and he isn''t particularly poor and he''s probably the most popular player.

Nothing needs to be added to what he''s said, if a big offer comes in he''ll go with blessings if not he''ll stay and perform well.

It''s such a rare situation that we don''t need to sell him, we don''t need the money from out star players.

Why on earth would we consider selling John Ruddy?  Despite the difficult seasons he has been largely responsible for a good number of clean sheets and what points we did get were because he was so good in goal.   That to a club like ours is worth quite a few million squid.   So I can''t see the club would want to sell him - they don''t need to, I can''t see that any club is going to offer ten squillion pounds for him and if he is settled and happy in Norwich, then there is no issue.  Look forward to seeing our goalkeeping rock in goal again next season.   Keeping him should mean we are challenging at the top of the league next season - he''s worth that much to us. 

Top keeper, top bloke and Great news.

I think he was poorly treated by Hodgson, but he is the kind of strong personality we need at the club.