Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

I will be gutted if it's Neil Adams

You get the impression that things are swaying in Neil''s favour, especially after the awards dinner last night. If Adams gets the job, I highly doubt whether he was first choice. I''d imagine Neil Lennon and Malky Mackay''s names were both above Adams''.

I''d be very disappointed if Neil got the job. One issue with appointing Neil is that I don''t think he will be enough to keep Hooper and Snodgrass, whereas a Malky or Lennon appointment could be enough.

Secondly, whilst I think he''s a decent tactician, I rate the other candidates higher than Neil. Craig Bellamy said that players would "run through a brick wall" for Malky. It''s already been proven that Norwich players didn''t run through a brick wall for Neil Adams.

The one issue I have with Neil Lennon is that it''s very difficult to tell just how good of a manager this man really is. He manages in a league which, Celtic aside, is probably League 1 level in English terms. However, I''d be happy with his appointment because I do think he has the right personality for what we need at this time. I don''t think Neil Adams does, far from it.

If Neil gets this job I will be very underwhelmed. I''m sure, as always, our fans will be split on this. Naturally, I''ll wish him the best and he''ll have all of our support, but just like when Bryan Gunn was appointed permanently, (I''m not comparing Adams to Gunn in managerial terms, I''m comparing their appointments) it would feel like the easy option, the option that would be cheapest and the option that would perhaps give the board an easier ride. It would be very disappointing.

Also, if Adams does get it, why not just give it to him after the Arsenal game. Why get our hopes up, only to say ''actually, yeah, Neil has got it''. Pointless.

If he doesn''t win his first game God help him and McNally and friends.

Pretty Sure Lambo lost his first game in the Champ, and that turned out ok, what with people not demanding his immediate sacking and all.

Not that it matters, as Adams hasn''t been appointed (yet).

In football terms, who knows, but it would certainly attract unwanted criticism for "Little Old Norwich"-ness, for a board that is going to be under increased scrutiny.

Some of the objections to Adams seem a little bit unfair. He inherited a squad where several of the alleged better players were virtually unselectable - Fer, Bassong, Hooper, RvW, Pilks, for various reasons. He had in his five games four of the most difficult opponents, and he knew and they knew that he was only temporary.

I think that he is a thinker, which Hughton never was, and has worked well with junior players and brought them. I suspect that some of the rather vague criticism on here is because some posters feel that we deserve to get an internationally approved manager, and clearly Adams has had no opportunity to become that.

For me, and I''m sure other fans and the board, it basically comes down to who the best man is for the job. In my opinion, that''s not Neil Adams. Taking everything into account, I''d say the best man for the job is Malky. It just depends on whether he would prefer to manage West Brom.

It''s easy for the board to say things will be wrapped up inside a week in terms of an appointment because they know that, if all else fails, Adams will just take it. I suppose they want to find out if others managers like Malky and Lennon want it before just settling with Neil. For me, it''s out of Malky, Lennon and Adams. Zola, I doubt, is a very likely candidate.

For me, appointing Adams as manager would be the most underwhelming managerial appointment we''ve made alongside Bryan Gunn. But I can see it happening.

I don''t want him to be manager with a director of football, or director of football alongside a new manager - I just don''t want him to be involved. He should go back to the youth job or gain managerial experience elsewhere.

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]For me, and I''m sure other fans and the board, it basically comes down to who the best man is for the job.[/quote]But in what respect?Some fans would be more than happy for us to appoint an ''effective'' manager who plays dire football but gets us back into the prem and keeps us there, I personally couldn''t think of much worse.I''d rather we brought in a dynamic, forward thinking manager who gets us back to playing attractive, passing, attacking football like we enjoyed under the likes of Stringer and Walker, even if it meant we didn''t get an immediate return to the top flight.I want to see a return of our youth prospects coming into the squad, as some of out best players broke through this way e.g. Sutton, Eadie, Bellamy etc.I also want a manager that''s not afraid of the teams we''re up against and by showing them too much respect effectively costs us points, we should play OUR game and let them worry about dealing with us rather than the other way roundOn that basis I don''t see names like Mackay or Lennon being the right choices, nor do I think that Adams has the relevant experience yet to walk into the role, I''m still very much of the opinion that we should be looking abroad for our next manager, be this names like Rangnick, Tuchel, Guidolin or whoever, but someone who won''t simply look to park a bus and who isn''t stuck in the usual English manager mindset...

In my view short termism should be the only issue of debate at the moment. You lose some of your best players at relegation, any remaining top players will likely leave if we fail next year. Coupled with that category 1 academy status will be a luxury if we continue to languish in the Championship. Get promotion, try and hang on in there, and improve slowly must be the way forward. That points only one way proven experience from a manager who has got teams out of the Championship.

I do not think NA has shown enough to be given the post full time.
He has been in charge for 10 halves of football.  Nine have been goalless. Arguably he has only won 2 of those 10 halves (Fulham 1st and Liverpool 2nd). Yes he did have a plan against Chelsea and it could have come of, but it didn''t and let''s face it most of the match was like the Alamo. OK it has been against tough opposition but it did not deliver the evidence to merit the appointment.
Also it would appear, and this is no more than a hunch, that following the sacking of Hughton led some of the senior players did not rally round NA. We can only speculate why, but he does not appear to have had the gravitas to get the whole squad behind him. In many ways this concerns me most.
I like Neil, he certainly talks a good game but to appoint him with so little experience would I think be a reckless gamble. We need more than that for our great club. Thanks for giving a go Neil, but come on Board we desperately need to show some ambition with the appointment.
COYY

[quote user="YellowNets1901"]I just think appointing Adams would be an awful move by the board.[/quote]

Totally agree. His tactics for the last 105 minutes of football were baffling. One point from his games was likely less than CH would have achieved. Neil Adams could not have done worse if scripted. I found his after match comments as puzzling as his tactics.

He might well make a good manager eventually but atm is so lacking in experience it hurts.

If the Board appoint him then they are committing our Club to a manager who clearly has a lot to learn. They are also exposing themselves as a collective ignoramus in footballing matters. IMHO.

If they appoint Adams the I will, God forbid!, drift towards the Wiz''s negative style of thinking. 

Adams has publically said if its not him, he might leave as he doesn''t want to take a backward step now he has had frontline management,. He says he''s NCFC all the way, but is he? - going on that I would question his loyalty and committment to the club.

[quote user="Paul"]Adams has publically said if its not him, he might leave as he doesn''t want to take a backward step now he has had frontline management,. He says he''s NCFC all the way, but is he? - going on that I would question his loyalty and committment to the club.[/quote]

It sounded like blackmail to me.

This is getting a bit out of hand.

Adams came in when the team was in a desperate vein of form. Most fans had written off those last 5 games, we were very unlucky not to get something against Fulham, our bogey team. A good result away at Chelsea, Liverpool was also pretty good and at least we made tactical changes when he could see we had set up wrong.

Look it''s not a great record but in the circumstances and against the opposition we faced it was not that bad and certainly not bad enough to be causing is this negativity.

It was a brave decision to take the team on when he did and it really is unfair to basing opinion on his 5 games in charge.

Walt, if you ignore those 5 games what that leaves Neil with is a CV which basically consists of successful youth team manager.

OK we were not anticipating much from the last 5 games but delivering anticipated failure does not add to the CV.

I really do not see this as negativity, but being realistic as to what our club needs right now. If you were reading Neil''s CV cold and comparing it to the other candidates he would in all likelihood not make the shortlist. We do not need a decision based on sentiment but one that is sound and businesslike. Basically someone with a CV that demonstrates a proven track record.

However given that Neil has courageously stepped into the breach I would hope some form of promotion can be found for him, one that will enable him to add to his CV for the future.

Adams five games came with the "anyone would be better than Hughton" qualification. The reality is he wasn''t better but that''s not his fault. However, if the board really considered him a good choice at the time I doubt those 5 games have affected his chances for the future either way. He may have done off the pitch stuff to impress or not impress the board. We don''t know about that. He certainly did seem to be picking from a smaller squad but we have no idea if that was his doing or it was forced on him.

Hindsight is the most wonderful thing but I do wish Hughton had been left to see the season out. As has been said by others in a different context "we couldn''t have been any worse off". Whatever the outcome I''m sure a change would still have been made in the summer.

I''m a real fan of Neil Adams the football coach and the man. The two big success stories at the football club over the last two seasons have been the U18s and the U21s. Three of the men responsible for that success found themselves looking after the first team scraping around for a miracle. Part of me wants them to return to carry on the great work they were doing in the academy. They won''t get time to build anything. The pressure will be on to return to the Premier League immediately. That''s not an easy task as any realistic look at the Championship will tell you. This time the job is probably more suited to someone experienced and capable of walking into such high pressure. I''d hate to lose those three totally if they were offered the job and failed.

Insight is also a wonderful thing, and that is an insightful post Nutty.

I agree we would not want to lose any of those who have stepped up. And not just the three. For me the one that can be said to have done really well is Jerry Gill who did not lose a game with the U21s and had some good wins, albeit he did seem to get the breaks at Old Trafford.

I too have also wondered what was going on behind the scenes as the squad, as you cleverly put it, seemed smaller for Neil!

Yes someone with proven experience is needed now, And if they could also be a a good leader, a motivator, a man manager, a sage in the transfer market, a brilliant strategist and tactician and play fluent expansive football then that would be a cloud 9 job. Unlikely I know but hopefully not too much to ask for some of those characteristics.