Sign in to follow this  
Canary Willo

End of Season Dinner

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GPB"]

Bowkett - effectively blamed Hughton I thought and was hugely critical of the style of play. The next manager will be /has been told that he has to play in the "Norwich Way" , and will have to work in the framework of a Director of Football, I might be wrong but I thought that might rule out a few of the more experienced managers - I cant imagine Big Sam coming in and putting up with that ?

[/quote]

"The Norwich Way" - hmm.     Surely this is just pining for old times?    We want success - and that means success in whatever style is necessary. We would all like to see attacking football - but unless we want to be a proverbial little club yo-yo-ing backwards and forwards - we have to do more than just be plucky little Norwich, having a go and than dropping back. 

The Hughton project was one designed to get us out of that yo-yo style club and on up to a more established club at the top level. It blatantly didn''t work - but harping on about the "Norwich Way" may sound good - but it is meaningless in the modern world of football.   We need success at the top level and that is more important than harping back to some mythical "Norwich Way".    Success on the pitch - even Ron Saunders style if necessary - is much more important.  

[/quote]Several issues with this ill-though out post.First, the Norwich way is very real and not mythical. The Norwich way has always been to keep the ball on the deck and play quick attacking football. I suggest that you study the word of On The Ball City carefully.Second. We are a proverbial yo-yo club. We have spent pretty much 25 of the last 50 years in the top flight and the other 25 in the second tier. I see no evidence that that will change over the next few years. We are very unlikely, being in a geographically isolated City where the population is about a tenth of Greater Manchester, to attract investment from a billionaire. So with this in mind I would suggest that the very best a team the size of Norwich could hope for is a stint similar to that of Coventry City''s with a couple of 6th or 7th place finishes and may be an FA Cup win thrown in too.If you''re hoping for anything more than that, you may as well hope for Gandalf to be our next manager and Bilbo Baggins as first team coach!

The Norwich Way suggests candidates who understand the club.

IMO Mike Phelan may be tempted back in one way or another. I''m not necessarily saying as manager but DoF looks possible.

Would it not have been smart for bowkett to validate his ''Norwich Way'' statement with what he felt the Norwich way was? I would find that much more rousing and give me more confidence. Anyone can say the *insert club* way - it doesn''t mean that they ''get it'' though.

He could simply be referring to bringing in more youngsters as opposed to buying 8 mil players like RvW. It could be keeping the ball down and knocking it around, it could mean that we go into every game believing that we stand shoulder to shoulder with our opponent.

I would love to hear ''the norwich way'' be backed up with some kind of rousing speech of what they expect from the next manager.

Put it this way, if he wants us to play the ''Norwich way'' then surely Malky''s out of the running instantly?

I think that LDC gets disagreed with just because he is LDC, its very strange.

As for "the norwich way", what a load of tosh that statement is......why?.....because in the almost 50 years I have supported the club I have watched many different styles of play and we certainly havnt played one particular defined way for it to be called "the norwich way".............more offensive maybe, but thats about it. This is a bit of a case of people remembering something much better than it actually was, sure we have had an occasional season when its been free flowing......but equally we have had some seasons where we have certainly been more defensive.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

As for "the norwich way", what a load of tosh that statement is......why?.....because in the almost 50 years I have supported the club I have watched many different styles of play and we certainly havnt played one particular defined way for it to be called "the norwich way".............more offensive maybe, but thats about it. This is a bit of a case of people remembering something much better than it actually was, sure we have had an occasional season when its been free flowing......but equally we have had some seasons where we have certainly been more defensive.

[/quote]I think "The Norwich way" is a concept in some peoples heads of a plucky underdog playing Roy of the Rovers football.Like you say, hasn''t been the case that often.

[/quote]There was a period when we had a particular style. It was essentially a West Ham-influenced short-passing game that John Bond brought with him. Ken Brown carried it on and Dave Stringer, obviously much influenced, took it to a purist extreme. Walker modified it with a bit of pragmatic steel but thereafter it pretty much fell away, as much as anything because we were a team in decline, with less good  and less suitable players. I haven''t noticed its return since.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="GPB"]Bowkett - effectively blamed Hughton I thought and was hugely critical of the style of play. The next manager will be /has been told that he has to play in the "Norwich Way" , and will have to work in the framework of a Director of Football, I might be wrong but I thought that might rule out a few of the more experienced managers - I cant imagine Big Sam coming in and putting up with that ? [/quote]

"The Norwich Way" - hmm.     Surely this is just pining for old times?    We want success - and that means success in whatever style is necessary. We would all like to see attacking football - but unless we want to be a proverbial little club yo-yo-ing backwards and forwards - we have to do more than just be plucky little Norwich, having a go and than dropping back. 

The Hughton project was one designed to get us out of that yo-yo style club and on up to a more established club at the top level. It blatantly didn''t work - but harping on about the "Norwich Way" may sound good - but it is meaningless in the modern world of football.   We need success at the top level and that is more important than harping back to some mythical "Norwich Way".    Success on the pitch - even Ron Saunders style if necessary - is much more important.  

[/quote]

Several issues with this ill-though out post.First, the Norwich way is very real and not mythical. The Norwich way has always been to keep the ball on the deck and play quick attacking football. I suggest that you study the word of On The Ball City carefully.Second. We are a proverbial yo-yo club. We have spent pretty much 25 of the last 50 years in the top flight and the other 25 in the second tier. I see no evidence that that will change over the next few years. We are very unlikely, being in a geographically isolated City where the population is about a tenth of Greater Manchester, to attract investment from a billionaire. So with this in mind I would suggest that the very best a team the size of Norwich could hope for is a stint similar to that of Coventry City''s with a couple of 6th or 7th place finishes and may be an FA Cup win thrown in too.If you''re hoping for anything more than that, you may as well hope for Gandalf to be our next manager and Bilbo Baggins as first team coach![/quote]

Send for Gandalf! 

If my post is ill thought out, then yours is equally so.   Your post sounds like the classic case of we are what we are and can''t change.  The whole purpose and ambition of the club is meant to develop us into a top tier side and stay there - that was what Hughton was supposed to do over three years - but he failed.   

So we''ve had a setback, but the ambition has to be there.  The "Norwich Way" as you describe is just another way of saying we want to see good football.  That is what every club wants.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/20140513-end-of-season-dinner-1550696.aspx

Was this the karaoke with McNally singing ''And now my end is near''? (with apologies to Frank Sinatra)

[quote user="Norfolk Canary"]Maybe you should support your local team LDC.......

Plastic fan.........[/quote]

You are a man of intellect! Great post

I think the reference to the ''Norwich way'' might be an indication of where the board are aiming for. They want to appoint a director of football and a coach who will help develop a certain culture at this club and then, following the examples set by Southampton and Swansea, try and keep this culture consistent regardless of managerial changes. They want to develop a longer-term strategy.

I''m delighted the club are trying to establish a footballing culture befitting of the Norwich way. I, along with a number of other posters, have been banging on about this for a long time. The complete alteration in style from Lambert to Hughton contributed to a difficult transition period in the 2012/13 season, so I would love to see us play in a consistent style from one manager to the next, albeit with tweaks according to individual managers'' preference. Hopefully this means passing, attacking play, because lord knows how dull some of the football has been of late. This is an entertainment business after all.

Thats a fair point PC...I loved that era, we had youn players, journeyman for want of a better word......and a sprinkling of top names coming towards the end of their career but still who could have a huge impact on a game...................I mean we even had an ex World Cup winner leading us out.............great days.....   

I''ve always thought the Norwich approach was built on a quick passing game, primarily on the ground.  But obviously it has changed between different managers.

Under Lambert for example people sometimes said we played a long ball game, which I never really accepted - at least in the sense that Stoke used to play hopeful long balls up for their strikers to try to win in the air.  Under Lambert it was more a case of quick passes - short and long - to quickly turn defence into attack, which Villa showed effectively in both games this season to our cost.

Under Hughton the main issue was that going forward our passing became increasinly ponderous and laboured, often it would end up being passed back to Ruddy and hoofed forwards which was the worst of both worlds.  This remained true under Adams but you can''t expect a manager to change an approach like this in a few weeks.

I hope what Phillip J Fry has posted there is the true meaning behind that sentiment. If so i will be balls deep happy with this and shows what a truly great forward thinking board we have.

[quote user="Norfolk Canary"]LDC is classic tinpot........[/quote]Not sure what he is, crakpot, tinpot whatever but he def doesnt sit at carrow rd watching the garbage dished out week after week, if he did he may see things differentlyI go to watch a football match, not to see us shut up shop just to stand still.I dont care that we got relegated, i am looking forward to going to the football again, had hughton stayed and continued as we were I would have stopped going and then maybe seen it through LDC eyes

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="KeelansGlove"]One again LDC your criteria of success might well be different if you had to sit through it every week. [/quote]

Even sitting through it week after week, you can have a longer term view and accept poor teamwork/performances if they look as if they may lead on to something better in the long run.  But even from afar - and I have been to nine games this season too - it has been so frustrating this  seeing the team perform well one week then poorly the next.  People had a downer on the manager - and for some people they only focus on the down side - but there were also good things going on too, from time to time. Not enough, I grant you and the lack of goals has been painful - but  we were one result from achieving our immediate goal - staying up.  If we had achieved that it would have been a stepping stone to next season and further squad improvements - and perhaps seeing more of what we saw in the better performances this season, allied to a few more goals. 

[/quote]Our immediate goal was to improve on the season before, not just to stay up, last season was supposed to have been the stepping stone.!

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Norfolk Canary"]LDC is classic tinpot........[/quote]Not sure what he is, crakpot, tinpot whatever but he def doesnt sit at carrow rd watching the garbage dished out week after week, if he did he may see things differentlyI go to watch a football match, not to see us shut up shop just to stand still.I dont care that we got relegated, i am looking forward to going to the football again, had hughton stayed and continued as we were I would have stopped going and then maybe seen it through LDC eyes[/quote]

I went to four matches at CR this season - Everton, Hull, Man City, Spurs - every one was a good match, we got points out of every one and there were positives to be drawn from all four.  Was I just lucky?   I watched all the other home matches live on line and although there were some that were tedious and hard to watch, there were other matches where positives could be drawn from the games.  However, you sit on your holier than thou pedestals if you like........I only see what I see, not what others tell me to see.

[/quote]

In the 25 years I''ve been watching Norwich, we''ve always had attacking wingers : Dale Gordon, Ruel Fox, Darren Eadie, Darren Huckerby are the stand outs.

"The............way" (insert any club),is nonsense. Most clubs,and their fans,think they''re known for an attractive style of football.

In fact,having lived outside the county for many years,I can assure you that we''re not really recognized for any particular style of football. Just friendly old Norwich. A minor irritant in the football world.

[quote user="Year of the tiger"]I notice you don''t mention away matches LDC , you''d really struggle to take any positives from them[/quote]

The annoying and upsetting thing about the away form is that there were some good performances that yielded no points.  West Ham away and Cardiff away should have yielded points.    Small beer you might think, but points - a win at Cardiff and a draw at WH would have meant survival.    You''re always going to struggle away in the premiership, but when you get the opportunities, you have to take them and in those two matches - we had plenty of opportunities - and didn''t take them......

After about half a dozen posts on this thread Lakey do you mind telling me where you are trying to take it apart from off topic ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]After about half a dozen posts on this thread Lakey do you mind telling me where you are trying to take it apart from off topic ?[/quote]

Most of my comments have been  about the "Norwich Way" mentioned by Bowkett - at the dinner - bang on topic.   If others have attempted to take it off topic, blame them not me.  I''ve just been responding to comments people made to me or about me. Is that wrong?  

Going back to the point of the Norwich way. Is there an argument to say that we should define how we want to see Norwich play now, rather than looking to past glories to shape our current style of play? I think there is some consensus that we''d like to see our side play quick, passing football with an emphasis on attacking, so why not make that the Norwich way? We won''t be known for a certain style of football, until we start playing it consistently, a la Stoke, Swansea, Southampton etc, and now is as good a time as any to start implementing a philosophy. I''d rather be entertained with good football against Championship opponents, than bored to tears by negative football against Premier League teams.

[quote user="Mind the gap"]"The............way" (insert any club),is nonsense. Most clubs,and their fans,think they''re known for an attractive style of football.

In fact,having lived outside the county for many years,I can assure you that we''re not really recognized for any particular style of football. Just friendly old Norwich. A minor irritant in the football world.[/quote]

This

There is no such thing as a Norwich way. Given we spend at least half of the time not playing free flowing attacking football, how can we be known for playing it? Absolute nonsense.