Sign in to follow this  
GPs Beard

Odds on next manager....

I''m not good at understanding the betting markets, processes etc - but if someone''s name is on that list, that means someone has put money on them, right?

If so, why would anyone put money on Darren Eadie? I mean seriously?!

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]I''m not good at understanding the betting markets, processes etc - but if someone''s name is on that list, that means someone has put money on them, right?

If so, why would anyone put money on Darren Eadie? I mean seriously?![/quote]No not necessarily the bookmakers make the book then prices will change with the amount of money bet .

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]I''m not good at understanding the betting markets, processes etc - but if someone''s name is on that list, that means someone has put money on them, right? If so, why would anyone put money on Darren Eadie? I mean seriously?![/quote]

No that isn''t true alex. I have read some nonsense on here about all odds being set by how much goes on to a particular bet, but a bookie will initially "make the book" by looking to attract a bet in the first place. Lots of ways a bookie does this, but mainly it is a combination of probability of the event happening, and the commercial need to set attractive odds. This is why you often get better odds at the back of a course than the front , so the bookies at the back have to lure you to walk that bit further by offering the better odds on the same horse in the same race.

Thereafter of course the money going on a particular bet will have an affect on the odds. CanaryOne makes a good point, there is obviously money going on Adams, as well as Zola, and interesting Phelan (with Stan James)

The bookie is just trying to lure you in , and offering attractive odds on Eadie , but my advice is to keep the money in your pocket!

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]I''m not good at understanding the betting markets, processes etc - but if someone''s name is on that list, that means someone has put money on them, right? If so, why would anyone put money on Darren Eadie? I mean seriously?![/quote]

No not necessarily the bookmakers make the book then prices will change with the amount of money bet .
[/quote]

CanaryOne puts it much more succinctly than I do !!! [:)]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Tim Sherwood is 1/6 to go to Brighton?![/quote]

Best place for him. I hope.

My guess is Lennon but I really have no strong preference for or against anyone. Whoever we pick will be unlikely to last more than a couple of seasons but then we all know that don''t we?

Well if it''s Malky, that will send shivers down the rest of the Championship.

I can see the binners shaking in their shoes.

Never mind get Adams as coach and there will be a lot on here will have an orgasm through excitement

Malky is a good fit for where we are and what we need, just because it seems the ''easiest'' choice doesn''t make it a bad one if he is who we end up with. Forget all the Tan/Cardiff crap - he seems to be a complete muppet and someone to well avoid. At least to me, of the names doing the rounds Malky is still my favourite, but I''d happily go with whoever.

One thing I really don''t get is the insistence from some quarters that ''local knowledge'' is a bad thing - surely having an idea of what makes the club tick is a good thing, but he hasn''t been at the club since 2004 anyway.

Well I''ll get behind him if he is appointed.But, for me, hardly inspiring.

Popular bet is Malky, he is 1/4 for us, 2/1 for West Ham9/4 for WBA and 4/1 for Fulham4/1 for Southampton9/2 for  Brighton.5/1 for Aston Villa8/1 for ReadingBookies really rip punters off

GPB - Kindly refrain from posting anything further on odds unless you have happy news.

It was bad enough watching the media luvvies QPHA winning last night

I heard yesterday from a friend who heard it from a high-up at FCR that it will be Zola, and that he has bought a house in Wymondham...

Funny how most of the teams listed for Malky are premiership sides yet some people wouldn''t be happy seeing him here.

[quote user="El Convento"]I heard yesterday from a friend who heard it from a high-up at FCR that it will be Zola, and that he has bought a house in Wymondham...[/quote]

Well I live in Wymondham and I haven''t seen him in Waitrose..... yet!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Funny how most of the teams listed for Malky are premiership sides yet some people wouldn''t be happy seeing him here.[/quote]

Funny? Not really, as already pointed out on this thread it all about bookies milking punters and is no indicator of likelihood. Bet if you went to all these Prem fanboards they would be as underwhelmed as we are.