Sign in to follow this  
Patches OHoolahan

How many of this forum's original members still post on here?

[quote user="Making Plans"]Been on here since April 2004. [/quote]I think you''ll find it was March MP. You''re doing yourself out of a month! ;-)

"All the messages are

monitored before they

are posted to prevent

libellous or abusive material

appearing and to ensure

the spirit of the web

is encouraged. This means

that there is a delay

before your message appears

on the site"
  This is why the previous message board was pants

I remember that old board too! As ricardo states, a lot has happened in the last decade, that''s one reason why it''s so great supporting our team. Though many threads on here can descend into childish point scoring or naming, there are many very articulate and insightful folk as well and it is still perfectly possible (and not that hard) to have some good debate. The old board with its moderation may have prevented much of the unnecessary stuff, but I remember replying to stuff hours before it was passed through and you''d end up all over the place replying to things in a completely abstract order!

This board is also helpful to me personally having not lived in Norwich for 20 years or so, but I have never lost my love of going to CR when I get the chance. I reckon next season will be a very interesting one too, never a dull moment following City!

[quote user="Mason 47"]Anyone else posting on this thread in order to see your little avatar thingy so you can see how long you''ve been here? Just me? I''m gonna guess 2006-ish.[/quote]

Me too

I am still around too, but post infrequently these days - read much more than I post.  I also remember the primitive message board - used to post on it regularly when I was down the Falklands in 2001........

I''m one of the ''03 brigade (although a couple on this thread registered a full week before I did). I was ''Lincoln Canary'' back then but changed to Chip20 after I left Lincoln for the North East. That miniker has since been taken by some cheeky imposter!!

God; I recall that old style of forum where responses were presented in a sequentially indented format beneath the OP. Urgh!

In the mid-nineties, before discovering the Pink Un equivalent, I used to loiter on a forum created/maintained by a ''Stewart Bamford''. A regular poster back then was a ''Dag T Hoelseth''. I know Stewart still checks this board occasionally. Dunno about Dag.

[quote user="Temp the Revelator"]I am still around too, but post infrequently these days - read much more than I post.  I also remember the primitive message board - used to post on it regularly when I was down the Falklands in 2001........[/quote]

Your location says Crewe Temp - but you have a picture of Ely Cathedral!?

Another August 03 joiner here. If i remember correctly i think the very very first to join did so in July.

As Ricardo observes, much water under the bridge - 3 promotions and 3 relegations. Proof if it were ever needed that it''s a rollercoaster ride following football! What awaits in the next 10 years?

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="Temp the Revelator"]I am still around too, but post infrequently these days - read much more than I post.  I also remember the primitive message board - used to post on it regularly when I was down the Falklands in 2001........[/quote]

Your location says Crewe Temp - but you have a picture of Ely Cathedral!?

Another August 03 joiner here. If i remember correctly i think the very very first to join did so in July.

As Ricardo observes, much water under the bridge - 3 promotions and 3 relegations. Proof if it were ever needed that it''s a rollercoaster ride following football! What awaits in the next 10 years?[/quote]

Ah yes A1 - I am a fenman born and bred, from Little Downham originally, but have lived in Crewe now for nearly 12 years!

That rollercoaster ride is the main reason I love supporting City - imagine being a fan of a club that stays in the same division forever.......

Same as many others in this thread often on MB to read rarely post.

Hmm, just looking at the Internet Archive Wayback Machine thing linked to earlier. I can see that mid-August 2003 was when the Pink Un reverted to the new message board format. I have no idea whether I ever posted on the old board, but I can see a couple of familiar names (Chicken, XXL16) posting there back in 2001/2002. Other possibilities are ''Foghorn'' (of the Citizen Journalist variety???) and ''Captain Canary'' (although I guess there could have been many regenerations of that one over the years).

Does anybody else remember posting on the old format messageboard?

Does ''The Grim Reaper'' go by another name in this current board? What became of ''exiled canary'', ''PK_Canary'' or ''Goober''?

[quote user="Chip20"]Hmm, just looking at the Internet Archive Wayback Machine thing linked to earlier. I can see that mid-August 2003 was when the Pink Un reverted to the new message board format. I have no idea whether I ever posted on the old board, but I can see a couple of familiar names (Chicken, XXL16) posting there back in 2001/2002. Other possibilities are ''Foghorn'' (of the Citizen Journalist variety???) and ''Captain Canary'' (although I guess there could have been many regenerations of that one over the years).

Does anybody else remember posting on the old format messageboard?

Does ''The Grim Reaper'' go by another name in this current board? What became of ''exiled canary'', ''PK_Canary'' or ''Goober''?[/quote]I posted briefly on the old format, but it really was truly awful lol.

I also posted on the old "threaded format" message board with the follow ups listed below each heading. But I can''t remember if I posted under this user name or not. One thing I''ve noticed when looking on the Wayback Machine archive of those old boards is there is only one page of messages with no "next page" button, so I guess very few messages were up at a time!

Prior to the end of moderating posts, I remember it being massively annoying when you went to reply to someone''s post thinking you knew the answer, or made a good point or whatever - only to find that when they had been approved some time the next day, about 10 other people posted exactly the same thing!

From my early days on here the only very prolific poster I remember was DumbleDeliaIsMagic - then he just disappeared.

I had a look on the Wayback of a snapshot from early 2003 - I wonder if this can take credit as the first "Worthy out" post!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030225011918/http://www.pinkun.com/Content/ncfc/fanzone/msgcontent.asp?ID=24751&GroupID=32

I used to post on here back in the very early days but I can''t remember what my username was. I re registered on here a few years back now (2007?). I don''t remember there being so many keyboard warriors as now a days, it was the waiting for a post to be approved that was the annoying thing, I would post on the old Official site a bit where Joe Ferrari used to pipe up regularly - I still can''t remember why it got shut down now, seems such a long time a go now. I remember Dumble Delias Magic well and others such as David from Hong Kong who used to ''stalk'' the players something chronic haha but he was a nice bloke, I still see him on Twitter so he''s very much alive and well. Wonder who''ll still be here in another 10+ years?!.

I first posted on here in 2001/2 too and have had to create another 2 accounts when pinkun wouldn''t accept my login details.

It was far less bitchy than it is today. Forum is hard to read nowadays in comparison as there''s so much swinging at one another - if you''re not aware of who likes who it''s really confusing to come here and catch up on supporters views as you have to dig through the snidey comments.

I can recall that there used to be plenty of ipswich scumbags visiting, and opposing supporters before matches and engaging in banter, i guess that helped keep the togetherness of the board, now it''s far too insular to visit regularly.

Lack of editing of posts and decent moderation doesn''t help, but i suppose the internet has moved on a looong way since 2001, twitter, Facebook, news articles now have comments sections etc.

I''m the same as many others on here. Read but don''t post. It is all too hostile on here these days.

[quote user="PKC"]Same as many others in this thread often on MB to read rarely post.[/quote]

Ditto this and many others. On here every day but rarely posting and can''t be arsed to wade into the keyboard punch-ups that seem to follow certain posters around.

Seems amazing we had to wait so long for posts to be moderated...still no edit button...surrounded by naff local adverts...garbage when trying to quote or post links and pictures...a tinpot board all round...but it''s OUR tinpot board!

Yep still here, i look in everyday but don''t post because of the idiotic posters that that could start a fight in an empty room, and have their fan club meetings in a phonebox.

[quote user="kev g"]Yep still here, i look in everyday but don''t post because of the idiotic posters that that could start a fight in an empty room, and have their fan club meetings in a phonebox.[/quote]

What ?on here, surly not,

I too remember the previous incarnation of the forum.

I can give a good rough date for when I started posting on the Pinkun as it was when I was at 6th form.

That would mean Autumn 98 - 2000.

Not that it means anything much. So many been and gone since.

I suppose the original Pink Un forum was called Soapbox! If anyone else remembers it did they write in?