Sign in to follow this  
#

'Malky Out'

[quote user="Phil Schmil"]FFS! The bloke hasn''t even been appointed yet!! Above all we need a manager with the capability of getting this club promoted back to the premier league and Malky has a proven track record of doing just that. Quite why anyone would think he would take us down to league 1 flies in the face of the facts available and frankly beggars belief. Whoever we appoint there is no guarantee of being successful, but we desperately need a united club from the board to the players and fan base to have any chance of being successful. Last season should serve as a warning to everyone who cares about this club of what can happen when this is not the case. Posts like this are divisive and, to be frank, absolutely pathetic.[/quote]

Why Phil?

Because some of us dare to think different to you?

[quote user="morty"]And you do realise that the style of management you saw from Malky in the Premiership (and Hughton in some ways too) was very much forced on him, just by virtue of having to manage a small club in a division you''re never going to win?I will happily put up with boring football if it is ultimately successful.[/quote]Not necessarily; look at Martinez''s Wigan, Swansea in the last couple of years, Southampton under Pochettino and (dare I say it) Norwich under you-know-who. Mackay had a massive budget to bring in players, and the team and style he played was his own choice. Sure, there are more managers who adopt a conservative style to beat the drop, but it''s not a necessity. And personally, after two years of watching Hughton''s football, I''d like a bit more entertainment for my season ticket now we''re back in the Championship – don''t you think chasing promotion with an exciting, attacking team might soften the blow of relegation a bit?

Absolutely not, Wiz.

I respect anyone else''s opinion that is well articulated.

The issue I have with your OP is that it is divisive and we have all just endured a season where the there have been divisions in the fan base and allegedly elsewhere within the club.

If we are to be successful then we cannot afford more of the same next season.

I''m more than happy to respond to a well articulated opinion I happen not to agree with in a positive way to prompt some healthy debate.

Who do you want to see as manager and why?

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"]And you do realise that the style of management you saw from Malky in the Premiership (and Hughton in some ways too) was very much forced on him, just by virtue of having to manage a small club in a division you''re never going to win?I will happily put up with boring football if it is ultimately successful.[/quote]Not necessarily; look at Martinez''s Wigan, Swansea in the last couple of years, Southampton under Pochettino and (dare I say it) Norwich under you-know-who. Mackay had a massive budget to bring in players, and the team and style he played was his own choice. Sure, there are more managers who adopt a conservative style to beat the drop, but it''s not a necessity. And personally, after two years of watching Hughton''s football, I''d like a bit more entertainment for my season ticket now we''re back in the Championship – don''t you think chasing promotion with an exciting, attacking team might soften the blow of relegation a bit?[/quote]It depends what you inherit, and how much money you have to spend. Southampton and Wigan had a decent bit of cash about them. Norwich under Lambert had a team togetherness and momentum that meant the team was much more than the sum of its parts.Sure, I''d like entertainment too, but first and foremost the football has to be effective to achieve our aim. But overall, no one knows what style of football Malky (if appointed) will play. He has to come in, assess the squad, assess who is going, and identify targets. And the attributes of the players should set the style. I think we have all seen the result of trying to change the way players want to play, and can play, and make them perform in a rigid manner.He will look at what we have and hopefully play to our strengths. Whatever they are.I really doubt we are going to try and win the Championship grinding out one - nils every week.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"]And you do realise that the style of management you saw from Malky in the Premiership (and Hughton in some ways too) was very much forced on him, just by virtue of having to manage a small club in a division you''re never going to win?I will happily put up with boring football if it is ultimately successful.[/quote]Not necessarily; look at Martinez''s Wigan, Swansea in the last couple of years, Southampton under Pochettino and (dare I say it) Norwich under you-know-who. Mackay had a massive budget to bring in players, and the team and style he played was his own choice. Sure, there are more managers who adopt a conservative style to beat the drop, but it''s not a necessity. And personally, after two years of watching Hughton''s football, I''d like a bit more entertainment for my season ticket now we''re back in the Championship – don''t you think chasing promotion with an exciting, attacking team might soften the blow of relegation a bit?[/quote]It depends what you inherit, and how much money you have to spend. Southampton and Wigan had a decent bit of cash about them. Norwich under Lambert had a team togetherness and momentum that meant the team was much more than the sum of its parts.Sure, I''d like entertainment too, but first and foremost the football has to be effective to achieve our aim. But overall, no one knows what style of football Malky (if appointed) will play. He has to come in, assess the squad, assess who is going, and identify targets. And the attributes of the players should set the style. I think we have all seen the result of trying to change the way players want to play, and can play, and make them perform in a rigid manner.He will look at what we have and hopefully play to our strengths. Whatever they are.I really doubt we are going to try and win the Championship grinding out one - nils every week.[/quote]Really good post. I guess I''m still harking back to his miserable ''parking of the bus'' when Cardiff came down here in October – I''m not dead against Malky, but if he hadn''t spent seven years here as a player, I doubt he would be nearly as high a priority. We could do worse, for sure, but personally I''d prefer a manager with an established attacking philosophy – not a Keegan/Holloway type, but someone with a more continental approach. I''d just love to see us zipping the passes around again, and moving forward with purpose. If Malky can bring that then great, but I''m not convinced he will.

[quote user="Phil Schmil"]Who do you want to see as manager and why?[/quote]

Second this. Who''s your choice just for the record Wiz? Presumably you know longer think Adams is the man for the job, as he no longer appears to have `hero to legend'' status.

The problem with having such strong opinions, is that you don''t half look like a plank (in your case two short ones), when you change them so frequently.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"]And you do realise that the style of management you saw from Malky in the Premiership (and Hughton in some ways too) was very much forced on him, just by virtue of having to manage a small club in a division you''re never going to win?I will happily put up with boring football if it is ultimately successful.[/quote]Not necessarily; look at Martinez''s Wigan, Swansea in the last couple of years, Southampton under Pochettino and (dare I say it) Norwich under you-know-who. Mackay had a massive budget to bring in players, and the team and style he played was his own choice. Sure, there are more managers who adopt a conservative style to beat the drop, but it''s not a necessity. And personally, after two years of watching Hughton''s football, I''d like a bit more entertainment for my season ticket now we''re back in the Championship – don''t you think chasing promotion with an exciting, attacking team might soften the blow of relegation a bit?[/quote]It depends what you inherit, and how much money you have to spend. Southampton and Wigan had a decent bit of cash about them. Norwich under Lambert had a team togetherness and momentum that meant the team was much more than the sum of its parts.Sure, I''d like entertainment too, but first and foremost the football has to be effective to achieve our aim. But overall, no one knows what style of football Malky (if appointed) will play. He has to come in, assess the squad, assess who is going, and identify targets. And the attributes of the players should set the style. I think we have all seen the result of trying to change the way players want to play, and can play, and make them perform in a rigid manner.He will look at what we have and hopefully play to our strengths. Whatever they are.I really doubt we are going to try and win the Championship grinding out one - nils every week.[/quote]Really good post. I guess I''m still harking back to his miserable ''parking of the bus'' when Cardiff came down here in October – I''m not dead against Malky, but if he hadn''t spent seven years here as a player, I doubt he would be nearly as high a priority. We could do worse, for sure, but personally I''d prefer a manager with an established attacking philosophy – not a Keegan/Holloway type, but someone with a more continental approach. I''d just love to see us zipping the passes around again, and moving forward with purpose. If Malky can bring that then great, but I''m not convinced he will.[/quote]Lets face it, none of us will ever be 100% convinced by anyone. You can find negatives with any choice "Oh he was relegated with x club" or ""yeah, he got sacked by so in so".I have tried to remove the "he used to play for us" bit, and really, if you look at it objectively, he is a reasonable choice.I would love a Keegan type, but we don''t have the players to play that way, and I think if we try to change too much, too soon, we could be in for a longer stay in the Championship than we would like.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="morty"]And you do realise that the style of management you saw from Malky in the Premiership (and Hughton in some ways too) was very much forced on him, just by virtue of having to manage a small club in a division you''re never going to win?I will happily put up with boring football if it is ultimately successful.[/quote]Not necessarily; look at Martinez''s Wigan, Swansea in the last couple of years, Southampton under Pochettino and (dare I say it) Norwich under you-know-who. Mackay had a massive budget to bring in players, and the team and style he played was his own choice. Sure, there are more managers who adopt a conservative style to beat the drop, but it''s not a necessity. And personally, after two years of watching Hughton''s football, I''d like a bit more entertainment for my season ticket now we''re back in the Championship – don''t you think chasing promotion with an exciting, attacking team might soften the blow of relegation a bit?[/quote]It depends what you inherit, and how much money you have to spend. Southampton and Wigan had a decent bit of cash about them. Norwich under Lambert had a team togetherness and momentum that meant the team was much more than the sum of its parts.Sure, I''d like entertainment too, but first and foremost the football has to be effective to achieve our aim. But overall, no one knows what style of football Malky (if appointed) will play. He has to come in, assess the squad, assess who is going, and identify targets. And the attributes of the players should set the style. I think we have all seen the result of trying to change the way players want to play, and can play, and make them perform in a rigid manner.He will look at what we have and hopefully play to our strengths. Whatever they are.I really doubt we are going to try and win the Championship grinding out one - nils every week.[/quote]Really good post. I guess I''m still harking back to his miserable ''parking of the bus'' when Cardiff came down here in October – I''m not dead against Malky, but if he hadn''t spent seven years here as a player, I doubt he would be nearly as high a priority. We could do worse, for sure, but personally I''d prefer a manager with an established attacking philosophy – not a Keegan/Holloway type, but someone with a more continental approach. I''d just love to see us zipping the passes around again, and moving forward with purpose. If Malky can bring that then great, but I''m not convinced he will.[/quote]Lets face it, none of us will ever be 100% convinced by anyone. You can find negatives with any choice "Oh he was relegated with x club" or ""yeah, he got sacked by so in so".I have tried to remove the "he used to play for us" bit, and really, if you look at it objectively, he is a reasonable choice.I would love a Keegan type, but we don''t have the players to play that way, and I think if we try to change too much, too soon, we could be in for a longer stay in the Championship than we would like.[/quote]I guess if there was a ''miracle candidate'' we''d have appointed him by now. He is a reasonable choice, I agree – and when you do factor in his previous affiliation, you know he''ll fire the fans up and they''ll warm to him on a personal level. Hughton was just so insipid a character, it''ll at least be entertaining to have a ''larger than life'' character at the helm.

I''ll stop quoting as the posts are getting too big.Yeah, like I say, Malky ticks a lot of boxes. He might not be the manager I want, but I recognise he could be the manager we need right now.

[quote user="Phil Schmil"]So then, Wiz: Who do you want as manager and why? I''m genuinely interested to hear your opinion on this.[/quote]

Hi Phil, my choice is Oscar Garcia the ex Brighton boss, on the few ocassions I''ve seen them I liked the cut of his jib, and he knows the Championship. I also want Adams involved with the first team too.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Phil Schmil"]So then, Wiz: Who do you want as manager and why? I''m genuinely interested to hear your opinion on this.[/quote]

Hi Phil, my choice is Oscar Garcia the ex Brighton boss, on the few ocassions I''ve seen them I liked the cut of his jib, and he knows the Championship. I also want Adams involved with the first team too.

[/quote]Or just jumped on that particular bandwagon when you saw someone else suggest him. Funny how you never mentioned his name until someone started a thread.[:)]

I feel dirty but I kind of agree with Wiz on this. I''d prefer someone like Garcia than Malky.

Anyway, whoever it is, I will support them from day one. Even someone like Warnock. Once they are a part of City they will get 100% backing.

I''d support a manager with 7 promotions on his CV as well.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Or just jumped on that particular bandwagon when you saw someone else suggest him. Funny how you never mentioned his name until someone started a thread.

[:)]
[/quote]

Oh just behave you tart!

Accept that sometimes I do make good calls without outside help and lets be frank here, with your recent record you''re in no position to question my judgement.

Popovic for Carrow Road. Whose joking? He is busy in Australia.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/popovic-tips-wanderers-to-defy-odds-20140513-387p1.html

[quote user="Walt"]I''d support a manager with 7 promotions on his CV as well.[/quote]

Good for you.

I think Oscar Garcia is a good shout, Wiz.

Certainly well schooled in playing attractive football from his time at Barcelona and should have good contacts in the game.

With Adams as assistant or at least involved in the coaching it could be the dream team.

Only concern is that he has resigned from his last two jobs after one season, so would he offer the stability we need?

Now, I do find the idea that a Mackay side would see us relegated with dour and joyless football in the Championship an interesting one.  In 2012/13, Cardiff City was the third highest scoring side, also conceding the second fewest goals.

PosTeamPldWDLGFGAGDPtsPromotion or relegation
1Cardiff City (C) (P)46251297245+2787Promotion to the 2013–14 Premier League
2Hull City (P)46247156152+979
I know it''s getting one''s hopes up to expect facts to mean anything in this day and age, but given the City squad and Mackay''s achievements with Cardiff City, I would suggest it is highly unlikely he would lead the club to League One.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Yawn....

Results are all that matter in this game and Hughton failed to get them.[/quote]

This ^^^^^^^[Y]