Sign in to follow this  
#

Adams. YES or NO?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

For me, no.

While he has been reasonable tactically, Fulham - not great, Liverpool - good, Man U - bad, Chelsea - good, that isn''t my main concern. This summer will see some fairly frantic transfer activity, and Adams has never had to deal with that side of things before. There is a high chance Ewan Chester will do one again this summer (he basically said he only came to Norwich because of Hughton), so a manager who brings with him an established scouting network is vital - otherwise Norwich could get left behind in the market.

Also, Adams has done well in games Norwich were expected to lose, it is a different thing entirely to being the the manager of a team expected to win. I''d rather Norwich didn''t take a gamble with Adams and give him the summer to prepare, only to find out he isn''t good enough come December and a crucial transfer window is lost.

Adams back to the under 18s (where Norwich will need him as there will job cuts to the coaching staff) and get someone in who at least has experience in a transfer window.

[/quote]Agree with this post, and especially the point about transfer activity. Mackay (my choice) would presumably bring with him his usual two coaches. They are experienced and know the lower leagues, so would be able to help with advice on players. In terms of a replacement for Chester, if he goes, then Iain Moody, the man Mackay had at Cardiff woud not be available. But he may have someone else in mind.The point about transfer dealings would become even more relevant if McNally were to leave (possibly for another job but not with another club rather than falling on his sword Roman-style) and we also had to find a new chief executive.[/quote]

If Norwich were to lose manager, head scout (or Director of Football Recruitment, his offical job title) and CEO all within a few months then the club is in massive trouble. Especially if inexperienced staff are brought in as replacements in each of these roles.

As damaging as losing SAF was to Man U, losing an experienced exec like David Gill was almost as bad, especially as he was replaced by a non-footballing man in Woodward.

[/quote]Not to mention the other straw in the wind, about Alan Bowkett having overseas business commitents that might mean he steps down!

"This summer will see some fairly frantic transfer activity, and Adams has never had to deal with that side of things before. There is a high chance Ewan Chester will do one again this summer (he basically said he only came to Norwich because of Hughton), so a manager who brings with him an established scouting network is vital - otherwise Norwich could get left behind in the market."

Is the world cup going to further compact the transfer window, do you think ? The big moves happening in late-July, so the smaller ones get pushed back until the money / promised cash-flow trickles down to smaller clubs ?

I thoroughly agree with Bethnal - I would like a manager plus assistants who have won promotion in this league to manage the club, regardless of how NA does against Arsenal. Adams had a poisoned chalice and deserves credit for how he has handled it. But next season is the best chance to get back into the big league - it''s too big a risk for a new manager.

user="PurpleCanary" user="Rock The Boat"]The problem we have is that five games is a very short period of time in which to assess a manager''s ability, especially when four of the games are against the very top teams. Ideally we would like to have a longer assessment period but you have to play the hand you''re dealt.

I read an interview with Pulis at the weekend where he was asked to describe the reason for CP''s success since he arrived at the club. Interestingly he did not mention tactics, formations or style of play. He said the turn around started when he identified the characters in the playing squad who would be up for the fight. He also said it was necessarily to have a clear vision of what he wanted to achieve and to make sure his players understood what was required of them to achieve this vision.

I''m pretty sure a lot of pinkun posters will recognise that these are good managerial qualities away from football and apply in all businesses.

I believe I see the same qualities in Neil Adams. I think he too has been looking for strong characters and he seems to have got players understanding what he wants from them. It''s early days but in my opinion the signs look good and I would take a punt on Adams for as manager for next season.The upside of that is that you at least won''t be able to turn round in a year''s time and slag off Smith and Jones for having taken yet another sentimental "little old Norwich" decision.

A man of your pedigree, PC old chum, will know it is as important to know when and whom to fire as it is to know when and whom to hire.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"This summer will see some fairly frantic transfer activity, and Adams has never had to deal with that side of things before. There is a high chance Ewan Chester will do one again this summer (he basically said he only came to Norwich because of Hughton), so a manager who brings with him an established scouting network is vital - otherwise Norwich could get left behind in the market." Is the world cup going to further compact the transfer window, do you think ? The big moves happening in late-July, so the smaller ones get pushed back until the money / promised cash-flow trickles down to smaller clubs ? I thoroughly agree with Bethnal - I would like a manager plus assistants who have won promotion in this league to manage the club, regardless of how NA does against Arsenal. Adams had a poisoned chalice and deserves credit for how he has handled it. But next season is the best chance to get back into the big league - it''s too big a risk for a new manager.[/quote]

I don''t think World Cups have a massive effect on the transfer window - clubs would use to hold out to see if there were any stars, but the days of an unknown bursting onto the scene are pretty much over. In 2010 Man U realised Javier Hernandez was likely to do that, so they made sure the transfer was finalised before a ball was kicked. I also think clubs are wary of buying a player off the back of a good tournament, it has thrown up a lot of duds in the past.

Norwich do need to act fast though, Championship clubs are starting to renew contracts with players and release others - Bolton released Chris Eagles on Sunday (along with a couple of others), for example.

Anyway, as this kind of thing is mandatory:http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3098336/ShowPost.aspx7th April 2014:[quote user="Wiz"]

Adams will be the next Walker.

Thats how high I rate Neil.

For those doubters just remember he knows the squad inside out, he

doesn''t have to take City DVD''s on holiday with him before he starts

work, he starts today and he knows his tactics

backwards...............with a plan Z if its needed.

It''s going to be great.

[/quote]5th May 2014:[quote user="Wiz"]I have been very pro Adams but I still have a few nagging doubts about him and his lack of managerial experience......like why wasn''t Hooper used against Chelski towards the end?So its a small no atm.......but as an assistant to the next manager he would be ideal. :scared:[/quote]It''s like trying to track the weather, only less changeable.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Anyway, as this kind of thing is mandatory:http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3098336/ShowPost.aspx7th April 2014:[quote user="Wiz"]

For those doubters just remember he knows the squad inside out, he

doesn''t have to take City DVD''s on holiday with him before he starts

work, he starts today and he knows his tactics

backwards...............with a plan Z if its needed.

It''s going to be great.

[/quote]5th May 2014:[quote user="Wiz"]I have been very pro Adams but I still have a few nagging doubts about him and his lack of managerial experience......like why wasn''t Hooper used against Chelski towards the end?So its a small no atm.......but as an assistant to the next manager he would be ideal. :scared:[/quote]It''s like trying to track the weather, only less changeable.[/quote]Very similar to one I posted earlier on another thread Bor.......[quote user="First Wizard"]Oi! wash your mouth out Chunky, for local footy, I''m a K & P man![Y][/quote][quote user="First Wizard"]Kirkley & Pakefield, Lowestofts local rivals.[/quote][quote user="Wiz"]Come on you Trawler Boys.[Y][/quote][:D] [<:o)]

No for me, thats nothing against Adams, Im probably repeating what others have said, he IS Norwich through and through but that doesnt mean that much in the grand scheme of things managerial wise. A lot of people saying Colin would be a bad choice, but he has a proven record of getting teams up, QPR, Palarse, Sheffield United.. surely a good bet? Malky could be decent but I worry its another back slapping ex-Norwich player thing.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Anyway, as this kind of thing is mandatory:

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/3098336/ShowPost.aspx

7th April 2014:
[quote user="Wiz"]

For those doubters just remember he knows the squad inside out, he doesn''t have to take City DVD''s on holiday with him before he starts work, he starts today and he knows his tactics backwards...............with a plan Z if its needed.

It''s going to be great.

[/quote]

5th May 2014:
[quote user="Wiz"]I have been very pro Adams but I still have a few nagging doubts about him and his lack of managerial experience......like why wasn''t Hooper used against Chelski towards the end?

So its a small no atm.......but as an assistant to the next manager he would be ideal. :scared:[/quote]

It''s like trying to track the weather, only less changeable.[/quote]

Very similar to one I posted earlier on another thread Bor.......

[quote user="First Wizard"]Oi! wash your mouth out Chunky, for local footy, I''m a K & P man![Y][/quote]
[quote user="First Wizard"]Kirkley & Pakefield, Lowestofts local rivals.[/quote]

[quote user="Wiz"]Come on you Trawler Boys.[Y][/quote]

[:D] [<:o)]

[/quote]

Its all irellevent like your two faces, I can still congratulate my home town club on promotion whether I support them or not.....pr*t.

[quote user="morty"]Lol, utterly shameless[:)]
[/quote]

Don''t try it on with me mortia, it won''t work son.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="morty"]Lol, utterly shameless[:)][/quote]

[/quote]Try what on, you senile imbecile?Care to comment on the massive flip flopping that Bor highlighted?No, didn''t think so.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="morty"]Lol, utterly shameless[:)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Try what on, you senile imbecile?

Care to comment on the massive flip flopping that Bor highlighted?

No, didn''t think so.
[/quote]

I put you, him and Laps in the same mold........full of gob.

I don''t mind Wiz, and I weren''t trying to get at you or hurt your feelings.  I was just following the old Pink ''Un message board protocol.1. Wiz posts an opinion2. Wait twenty eight days3. Wiz posts an opposite opinion4. PostPersonally, I reckon if Adams had been appointed then by September you''d be calling him "Dead-ams Walking" or something else equally witty and vitriolic, but don''t reckon we''ll ever get to know.  And that''s a shame, and yet not a shame.Have any villagers recognised you yet?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Leave it out fellas, this has been a good thread, or maybe its run its course....

[/quote]Sorry, who appointed you Sherriff?

[quote user="lake district canary"]Leave it out fellas, this has been a good thread, or maybe its run its course....[/quote]Oh give it a rest, you flatulent windbag.  You''re just jealous because it''s not about you.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"]Leave it out fellas, this has been a good thread, or maybe its run its course....[/quote]Sorry, who appointed you Sherriff?[/quote]Maybe it''s because it''s about Wiz and not Lakey. [^o)]

By their words you will all know them ..............

Those of you who want Malky in imo its voting for Hughon time again.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Is that true though?Wiz wrote the following post at 2012/11/01 10:28 AM:[quote user="Wiz"]Well, I''m not afraid to put my hand up.I was wrong, very wrong about Hughton, I wanted Holloway but I wouldn''t swap Hoots for anyone now... and that includes Lambert!We''ve struck gold. ....again.[/quote]Do we know you?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Is that true though?

Wiz wrote the following post at 2012/11/01 10:28 AM:
[quote user="Wiz"]Well, I''m not afraid to put my hand up.
I was wrong, very wrong about Hughton, I wanted Holloway but I wouldn''t swap Hoots for anyone now... and that includes Lambert!
We''ve struck gold. ....again.[/quote]

Do we know you?

[/quote]

Honest question Bor.......morty and Laps

What kick do you three get off on trying to ruin a 16 pages of good debate in favor of your point scoring?

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

For me, no.

While he has been reasonable tactically, Fulham - not great, Liverpool - good, Man U - bad, Chelsea - good, that isn''t my main concern. This summer will see some fairly frantic transfer activity, and Adams has never had to deal with that side of things before. There is a high chance Ewan Chester will do one again this summer (he basically said he only came to Norwich because of Hughton), so a manager who brings with him an established scouting network is vital - otherwise Norwich could get left behind in the market.

Also, Adams has done well in games Norwich were expected to lose, it is a different thing entirely to being the the manager of a team expected to win. I''d rather Norwich didn''t take a gamble with Adams and give him the summer to prepare, only to find out he isn''t good enough come December and a crucial transfer window is lost.

Adams back to the under 18s (where Norwich will need him as there will job cuts to the coaching staff) and get someone in who at least has experience in a transfer window.

[/quote]Agree with this post, and especially the point about transfer activity. Mackay (my choice) would presumably bring with him his usual two coaches. They are experienced and know the lower leagues, so would be able to help with advice on players. In terms of a replacement for Chester, if he goes, then Iain Moody, the man Mackay had at Cardiff woud not be available. But he may have someone else in mind.The point about transfer dealings would become even more relevant if McNally were to leave (possibly for another job but not with another club rather than falling on his sword Roman-style) and we also had to find a new chief executive.[/quote]

If Norwich were to lose manager, head scout (or Director of Football Recruitment, his offical job title) and CEO all within a few months then the club is in massive trouble. Especially if inexperienced staff are brought in as replacements in each of these roles.

As damaging as losing SAF was to Man U, losing an experienced exec like David Gill was almost as bad, especially as he was replaced by a non-footballing man in Woodward.

[/quote]Similar to my previous point about producing our own coaches, we shouldn''t be relying on a manager to bring his own head scout in. Every time a manager leaves we''ll lose too many key staff and wreck any kind of continuity that we could be achieving. This is especially damaging when we''ve just been relegated.