Sign in to follow this  
#

Adams. YES or NO?

Recent quote from Hoddle about reports he is after the Spurs jobs:

"I have read in the papers and seen it on the Internet that I am the favourite for this job, that job, virtually every job. That I am ready, that I am desperate to get back into management, that I am touting for this or that job," he wrote in a column in The Bleacher Report UK website.

"But I am not. I am not applying."

I''m not really sure why someone who has been out of management for so long and whose managerial career ended damply is on so many people''s favourites list? He was a great manager, but those days were years ago and why would he be keen to try his hand in the Championship after all this time?

I just find his name being put forward a little odd...

Tricky one. Apart from Lennon, every other manager on our wish list has been sacked for failing at their last club. Adams hasn''t, given the poisoned chalice he was given.

[quote user="the bristol nest"]Tricky one. Apart from Lennon, every other manager on our wish list has been sacked for failing at their last club. Adams hasn''t, given the poisoned chalice he was given.[/quote]Totally agree that Adams had a very difficult assignment handed to him. I thought he judged it very well yesterday. Bus parking was very effective and frustrated Chelsea to the point that we did actually get some chances, particularly when he put Redmond on. Bet Snodgrass is kicking himself over fluffing that one later on. Man U was obviously a train crash, but for that penalty I think it could have been a different story. The comeback against Liverpool was terrific and I thought Adams demonstrated quite a bit of nowse turning it around to the extend that he did.Someone broached the idea of Adams coaching under Malky. I don''t know whether Adams would be content to do that having had a taste of senior management although it could be a nice balance. Personally, I think it''s a fair point about experience, but on the other hand, plenty of experienced managers can fail at a task as well. Winning the FA Youth Cup was quite an achievement on his part. I''d be quite interested to see how he does next season to be honest. Never mind the danger.

We need an experienced Championship manager. Fail next season and history suggests we''ll be stuck in the Championship for many, many years to come. Experiment by all means if we fail next season but let''s try and maximise our chances with the best opportunity we have.

If we are talking Championship here, and I by no means accept that we are, but for the sake of passing the time when it''s raining here when it should be 30 degrees, the prospect of Adams bringing through some of the quality that we undoubtedly have in the youth set up is an extremely exciting prospect.

That could well be a factor that the Board would consider, along with the many others they will have before them.

I understand Swansea City are to make Garry Monk manager on a permanent basis,  Manchester United are considering keeping Ryan Giggs as manager, Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood keeps pointing out that he''s the most successful manager in modern times and still has year left on his contract. All promoted from within, and people are saying it looks like ''little Norwich'' 

[quote user="swindoncanary"]I understand Swansea City are to make Garry Monk manager on a permanent basis,  Manchester United are considering keeping Ryan Giggs as manager, Tottenham boss Tim Sherwood keeps pointing out that he''s the most successful manager in modern times and still has year left on his contract. All promoted from within, and people are saying it looks like ''little Norwich'' [/quote]Giggs will not get the job, and neither will Sherwood.

[quote user="Jenkins"]If we are talking Championship here, and I by no means accept that we are, but for the sake of passing the time when it''s raining here when it should be 30 degrees, the prospect of Adams bringing through some of the quality that we undoubtedly have in the youth set up is an extremely exciting prospect. That could well be a factor that the Board would consider, along with the many others they will have before them.[/quote]

Thats a good point Jenkins and one I hadn''t considered.

Huzzah![Y]

And, it''s arguably easier to keep a team in the PL than obtain promotion from the Championship. Next season is by some distance our best chance of promotion - we should plan our next campaign on that basis - and that points to experience every day of the week.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Jenkins"]If we are talking Championship here, and I by no means accept that we are, but for the sake of passing the time when it''s raining here when it should be 30 degrees, the prospect of Adams bringing through some of the quality that we undoubtedly have in the youth set up is an extremely exciting prospect. That could well be a factor that the Board would consider, along with the many others they will have before them.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]

[/quote]And a different manager would just ignore our youth talent then?Your summer pre season friendlies are about getting to know the whole squad''s capabilities and fitness, before you make the point about Neil''s familiarity.

And a different manager would just ignore our youth talent then?

Of course not, but Adams will have the sort of in depth knowledge that a new manager would be unlikely to aquire with all the other stuff going on at a new club.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Wiz"]

Huzzah![Y]

[/quote]

And a different manager would just ignore our youth talent then?

Your summer pre season friendlies are about getting to know the whole squad''s capabilities and fitness, before you make the point about Neil''s familiarity.
[/quote]

Fair points morty but I believe Rodent ignored the yoof.

[quote user="Jenkins"]And a different manager would just ignore our youth talent then?

Of course not, but Adams will have the sort of in depth knowledge that a new manager would be unlikely to aquire with all the other stuff going on at a new club.[/quote]What sort of in depth knowledge would that be then?Other than watching them in training and pre season friendlies?Bearing in mind that no more than two or three of our youth team are realistically ready for Championship football.

He will know their strengths, their weaknesses, the things they have been developing in their game, their temperament which is a crucial factor with young player development, and of course what makes them tick.

A new manager if he is really interested could aquire some of this knowledge but having worked with them and helped develop them as individuals Neil will know a lot more.

Roughly in order of decreasing likeliness, I think it''s probably between Mackay, Lennon, Adams, Clarke, Zola, Warnock and Sherwood.One thing to like about Adams is that he''s spent time learning his trade over a number of years prior to the step up, the only other one listed above to have done that is Warnock (who is also the most experienced). I think people are underestimating the experience gained through many years both managing and coaching the youth players. I think Brendan Rogers was right when he said it was a valuable experience.It''s a plus that Adams also has the experience of his radio work, which has been unfairly derided by so many. A lot of personel departments are interested in people that have done something a bit different, again something he shares in common with Warnock (a former chiropodist and market trader).If Adams turned out to be any good, and there''s a lot to indicate that this would be the case, then we could hope to expect a much lesser chance of him jumping ship to go to a bigger club than an external candidate. Unlike the others, he knows exactly how we would want to play.So I''d say that under the circumstances we ought to be brave and go for Adams.

[quote user="Jenkins"]He will know their strengths, their weaknesses, the things they have been developing in their game, their temperament which is a crucial factor with young player development, and of course what makes them tick.

A new manager if he is really interested could aquire some of this knowledge but having worked with them and helped develop them as individuals Neil will know a lot more.[/quote]It is massively more important that we have a manager that knows the division, has had actual experience of playing a squad for an entire season, and has a clue about opponents, and likely transfer targets.Way more important that knowing the attributes of a handful of youth players that might be ready for the Championship next season.As great as our youth crop is lets not get carried away about how big a part most of them will play next season.

[quote user="Jenkins"]I don''t see anyone getting carried away?[/quote]Well you are prioritising Adams'' knowledge of our youth crop, when it really shouldn''t be a number one priority in choosing a new manager.

An absolute 100% YES from me. The guy is technically very competent, and has done extremely well, especially given the awful side he''s had to try and work with in very tough circumstances. Paul Lambert didn''t have a wealth of Championship experience, or Premier League experience, but he put together a team who wanted to play for him and the club. And you can see that Adams has a similar philosophy. I would take Adams over any of the other "fly by night" candidates. I really see him being a huge success here with time and patience.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Just to play Devils Advocate Morty, Lambert didn''t have any experience of The Championship and it didn''t do him too much harm.[/quote]We got lucky, you know that we did.Not sure what you are trying to play Devils advocate about though.

But just to add I don''t think Neil Adam''s 4 games experience in the Premiership makes his experience comparable with Paul Lambert''s prior to him joining us.

I''d agree with that, said earlier in the thread that I don''t think Adams is the right man for us right now, I think we definitely need a more experienced manager to handle the high turnover of playing staff that''s bound to happen, just don''t think experience of the Championship in particular is the be all and end all, although certainly preferable.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]I''d agree with that, said earlier in the thread that I don''t think Adams is the right man for us right now, I think we definitely need a more experienced manager to handle the high turnover of playing staff that''s bound to happen, just don''t think experience of the Championship in particular is the be all and end all, although certainly preferable.[/quote]SOME previous managerial experience is certainly desirable though.

With my business head on, I should also add that Neil''s radio work has drilled him with a clear sense if what the punters like and what they won''t accept. Hughton''s autistic radar never tuned in to this, whilst Lambert''s up-and-at-em, double-or-nothing Glasgow gambler''s approach was every pub-pundits wet dream and set an impossible bar for anyone to follow (including lambert himself).

This means that Adams will be as much of a unifying force as anyone could be (that didn''t achieve stellar results). He will give youth a chance. He will inject pace. He will mix styles, formations and tactics and he will be (as) honest (as realistically possible) with the media afterwards, ensuring fans have a sense of what he''s thinking and why he is doing what he''s doing. This enfranchising (media) approach is a very positive attribute to have and increasingly important In Today''s social media world.

Adams also desperate wants the job. He''s dreamed of it. Some of that desire will transmit to the players and the stands. The unity candidate is a popular solution in politics.