Sign in to follow this  
#

Adams. YES or NO?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Nechtology"]Who are these fabled managers though? Name some? A big name, well respected in the game, who can attract top players to the club? If there is such a manager, they sure as hell aren''t coming to Norwich. And if they are, it means they are not ambitious enough. Sad but true.

Roeder was a "name", Hughton was a "name", but look at the mess they got us in. We need to stick to what Norwich have always been best at. Nuturing Youth players, signing hungry lower league players, and having a team that is passionate, and who will play for the manager and the club.

One thing I can see, Neil Adams has ambition burning inside him.[/quote]You are Neil, aren''t you?[/quote][:D]

A difficult call I think.I really don''t think Adams has done anything wrong yet and he & the squad WERE impressive against Liverpool, Clesea and a good bit of the Man U game. The club means a lot to him and he does seem to have the tactical nouse to hold Chelsea 0-0 and almost get a result against Liverpool.However, this is where I have a slight reservation, I think that the Board will be aiming for promotion again from the off next year. Adams MAY be able to be that man, he may not; no one knows. Furthermore, if Norwich DO get promotion next season, would they want to keep such a new-comer or unfairly dismiss and get someone proven at Prem. level.Overall, I''m very pleased with Adams. Would Malky offer something better than Adams? Not sure.I''d say, stick with Adams. The players seem to be with him and I think they respect the fact that he calls a spade a spade.

Still Malky for me, I assume he was asked to take the last 5 games but declined, better to start afresh next year. I like Adams, he gave it his best shot and who knows he might be the new messiah for us but it''s not a risk we can afford to take at this time. We need tried and tested. Ideally Malky and Adams would work together.

[quote user="Yellow Green Army"]Neil Adams seems like a super bloke and has done nothing wrong so far in the four games, BUT he is not the answer. This may be controversial but I do not think he deserves to be full time manger of Norwich City Football Club. He is not proven yet!!

Roberto Di Matteo, Steve Clarke, Nigel Adkins or my fourth option would be Malky Mackay.[/quote]Most people thought that Hughton was a good appointment because he was "proven" and how wrong did that turn out to be. The only thing that his appointment proves is that it''s a gamble whether the next manager is proven or unproven.And to be honest, I wouldn''t put any of your 4 suggestions in the "proven" category because they''ve all had failures of one sort or another.So, how do they deserve to be "full time manager of Norwich City Football Club" when Adams apparently doesn''t.

I understand that Malky is/was not in a position to take up any job due to the Cardiff contract termination dispute.

Why would Malky have Adams, surely he would bring his usual coaching staff with him or are we so small minded that only ''yellow blood pouring through their veins'' are allowed in our hallowed club?

There are so many people wanting Adams or Malky on this and other threads, I dread to think of the reaction if the board appoint a ''big'' name :-)

It is this desire for "names" that ensure the same faces jog around the top 2 leagues in journeyman fashion. Succeeding for the fresh first year then dwindling as the magic message loses its lustre. Given the limited shelf life, the cost benefit equation means that only the most exceptionally gifted youngsters get a chance. Come the summer we will lament the dearth of English talent as we revert to type and blunder through a few World Cup games.

Mourinho was a translator. Rodgers a youth team coach for much of his career. Many named managers parachuted in from playing careers and romanced their way to management positions. In what other industry does the best lorry driver get to run the transport company? Adams has had an apprenticeship. He knows the abilities of our promising talent. He has hunger and media-savvy. He understands the DNA of the club, the playing style and the mentality of the fans. He is in situ.

If a superior name is on offer, If an experienced pair of hands is readily on hand, if a major name really wants the job, then great; parachute them in. If this is not the case, then Adams may be a brave choice that brings unity, creates continuity and brings back some soul to squad and stands.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]It is this desire for "names" that ensure the same faces jog around the top 2 leagues in journeyman fashion. Succeeding for the fresh first year then dwindling as the magic message loses its lustre. Given the limited shelf life, the cost benefit equation means that only the most exceptionally gifted youngsters get a chance. Come the summer we will lament the dearth of English talent as we revert to type and blunder through a few World Cup games.

Mourinho was a translator. Rodgers a youth team coach for much of his career. Many named managers parachuted in from playing careers and romanced their way to management positions. In what other industry does the best lorry driver get to run the transport company? Adams has had an apprenticeship. He knows the abilities of our promising talent. He has hunger and media-savvy. He understands the DNA of the club, the playing style and the mentality of the fans. He is in situ.

If a superior name is on offer, If an experienced pair of hands is readily on hand, if a major name really wants the job, then great; parachute them in. If this is not the case, then Adams may be a brave choice that brings unity, creates continuity and brings back some soul to squad and stands.[/quote]I don''t disagree, but the board should at least consider the possibilities, and not just take the totally lazy option like they did with Gunn.I am still astounded that they managed to reason out that he was the best man for the job....

Obviously no. Really, it is obvious and only the sentimentally minded Norwich fan would even bother with such a debate. He''s a good enough coach, might make a good manager one day but we need experience and nous, not another gamble.

And that''s not based on his recent screen test, just the hard nosed reality that we need someone who has done it, who isn''t connected to the current crop of players and who has a bit of status.

Would be pleased if he could be an assistant or part of the new set up but that needs to be up to whoever the new man is.

Bryan didn''t have the same coaching apprenticeship. He came from club administration and was a wonderful ambassador for the club. He is a strong, warm man who inherited a club in a death spiral.

I understand the obsession with avoiding or trying to alter the little old Norwich media perception, though I think we can credit McNally operationally and Bowkett financially with diluting this.

We had the vaunting ambition of Lambert and all the inherent excitement of ricocheting upward trajectory. The intended safe pair of hands of Hughton, to bring stability to the rapid progress.

A Boot room continuity is not the same as limited ambition necessarily. Understanding the ethos of the club and developing a DNA and trying to ensure that the best elements of it are retained - regardless who is manager - is a laudable ambition.

Ah Parma whist you make your point extremely well, I can remember when DNA was put forward as a positive by our last chairman. I still remember feeling sick with fear of the future and i was so so right but then along came the bank boys chasing and the Bowkett/McNally days began

I have seen enough of Norwich under the management of Adams to be

enthused enough to give him his chance. He does appear to learn from

mistakes and he appears to be learning quickly. This was a complaint

pointed at the previous management, that they continued with the same

tactics even though they were not getting us enough points to survive.I

remember many people being underwhelmed by the appointments of

Stringer and Walker, both of whom had taken similar routes to that of

Adams before managing the first team. We are never going to be a club

that attracts big name managers like Capello, Ferguson or such likes. So I would suggest that it is best to promote from within and it has normally gone well for us

when promoting from within (another example is Worthington). There are exceptions to the rule, Deehan springs to mind, but even he, much like Hughton, had a good first season or so. I will not include Gunn as he was promoted from

head of hospitality to caretaker manager, with no coaching experience at all. Then he was appointed permanently on the back of a social media campaign. I have also noted that it has a habit of

going badly when we employ a lot of foreign players in the first team.

We have traditionally been at our best when we have had a core of

domestic players who will run through wall for the club, supported by

youngsters brought through the youth team and when we have been managed

by someone who doesn''t just see the club as a stepping stone to a job at a ''bigger'' club.So it''s a yes from me. But I reserve the right to change my mind and demand that we employ Eddie Howe should we get thumped 7-1 on the first day of next season by Bournemouth![;)]

Yes. Robbed at Fulham, should have at least drawn against Liverpool and got an away point at Chelsea.

I think the turn around has been dramatic.

We need a new manager Neil Adams is NOT a manager , no way were Man Utd ever going to give the job to Giggs and no way should we give it to Adams. The fact so many want him just goes to show some people just never learn , appoint Adams and any chance we had of bouncing back will be dead in the water .

I do try and keep up with all the various interviews and press releases from Carrow Road but may have missed one.Has anyone asked Neil Adams if he wants the job permanently or if in fact he has been given the job permanently already?When he was appointed I believe that he was introduced as the next Norwich City Manager and no contract length or limits put on his tenure.On the other hand McNally in his oft miss quoted death and relegation interview said .................."It would be almost delinquent of the football club to not be aware of potential candidates if for any reason your manager left""If results are not good enough you have to be aware of who is out there to help. You look at the market and who might be right for Norwich City."If we needed to make a change - and the average tenure of a Premier League manager is about a year and a half, which puts Chris in the top six or top eight longest serving right now - then if a change was necessary it wouldn''t be a case of, who are the contenders? It would be a case of reviewing what is required, where are we going and who is best placed to take the club forward."This would point to Mcnally and the club already having a very short list of preferred candidates and that Adams is only temporary.

"It would be almost delinquent of the football club to not be aware of potential candidates if for any reason your manager left,"Read more at http://talksport.com/football/norwich-chief-aware-potential-candidates-who-could-replace-hughton-14021780108#zWXF81RgCFMmzaM2.99
"It would be almost delinquent of the football club to not be aware of potential candidates if for any reason your manager left,"Read more at http://talksport.com/football/norwich-chief-aware-potential-candidates-who-could-replace-hughton-14021780108#zWXF81RgCFMmzaM2.99

Couldn''t be bothered to read some of these long winded responses , to me Yes or No multi choice question demands a 1 word response, for what it''s worth mine is No!

Wouldn''t be unhappy with Adams. But No to Malky Mackay. Sentimental choice - playing style much like Hughton''s and made some pretty poor signings at Cardiff. 

Really? we are talking about the same Malky aren''t we? the one who got Cardiff to the play-offs + a cup final, then won the Champs title, and was doing fine in the PL until he became the victim of meddling from the owner? Hmm...clealy not up to it.

Sentimental doesn''t come into it, but his track record does. That he is an ex-City player is just an added bonus.

NO NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO! FACKIN WAY THE MAN IS A JOKE.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]We need a new manager Neil Adams is NOT a manager , no way were Man Utd ever going to give the job to Giggs and no way should we give it to Adams. The fact so many want him just goes to show some people just never learn , appoint Adams and any chance we had of bouncing back will be dead in the water .[/quote]

Errr...... I think you will find that the current manager of Norwich City Football Club is........... Neil Adams. Thanks for the effort though.

No he is the youth team coach asked to step in for 5 games because we left it to late sacking Hughton to get a proper manager in to take over .

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Really? we are talking about the same Malky aren''t we? the one who got Cardiff to the play-offs + a cup final, then won the Champs title, and was doing fine in the PL until he became the victim of meddling from the owner? Hmm...clealy not up to it.

Sentimental doesn''t come into it, but his track record does. That he is an ex-City player is just an added bonus.[/quote]The irony is in the similarities to Hughton at Newcastle. A nice, relatively inexperienced manager wins the Championship, gets promoted to the Premiership, does okayish, gets unfairly sacked by a nasty owner and then joins Norwich.I''m not saying History would repeat itself exactly, obviously there are differences, but for me it comes down to the football. Mackay might get us out of the Championship with a direct game but I think would have trouble progressing upon promotion, and likely see us having to play ugly more often than we''d like. This would I feel be too similar to what we''ve just discarded.I think we need to start developing our own coaches instead of having a ''big name'' come in and end up leaving along with their assistants. For a club our size the disruption is too great and the hole left is more difficult to fill. Since Hughton has left we''ve been left short of experience internally. A ''big name'' would probably only be a short term fix, might get us promoted, but would we revert to type once the effect had worn off or that person had gone?If we did go for an external candidate then we should get someone who would be willing to work with our own people. Clarke would possibly be one who would fit the bill, since he worked under a similar arrangement at West Brom.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]No he is the youth team coach asked to step in for 5 games because we left it to late sacking Hughton to get a proper manager in to take over .[/quote]I suppose in your eyes then Jose Mourinho is just a translator who has been appointed at Chelsea until he is replaced by someone else?Adams is the current manager for Norwich City. End of. Deal with it.

I hope our Board members read this thread before they appoint a new gaffer.

I must add this: if it comes down to a straight choice between Adams or Malky, I''d choose Adams every time!

[quote user="Wiz"]I hope our Board members read this thread before they appoint a new gaffer.[/quote]

I don''t.

[quote user="Wiz"]I must add this: if it comes down to a straight choice between Adams or Malky, I''d choose Adams every time![/quote]

Me too, but for me a lot depends on who he has in his management team, who I don''t know much about.  At the moment the three of them are inexperienced.  Robson and Nevin have to be as up to the task as Adams is.  So that is a judgement that has to be made.  Maybe a Peter Grant more experienced coach to come in - or Ian Crook - or someone else with the right kind of experience  who has affiliations to Norwich.  Culverhouse?

[quote user="Wiz"]I must add this: if it comes down to a straight choice between Adams or Malky, I''d choose Adams every time![/quote]

Me too, but for me a lot depends on who he has in his management team, who I don''t know much about.  At the moment the three of them are inexperienced.  Robson and Nevin have to be as up to the task as Adams is.  So that is a judgement that has to be made.  Maybe a Peter Grant more experienced coach to come in - or Ian Crook- or someone else with the right kind of experience  who has affiliations to Norwich.  Culverhouse?