Sign in to follow this  
#

Adams. YES or NO?

I agree with much of what Parma writes.

Adams has a lot going for him. What''s I find interesting is the way many people are saying he can''t get the job as he doesn''t have enough experience as a manager, and then suggest that Adams stays as assistant to whoever does get the job! If he jo is I ever going to be a manager (and I understand he wants to be) he either needs to be given this job or leave. NCFC for a lower division managerial role if he can get one. Otherwise he will be in the same position when we eventually sack whoever we appoint!

[quote user="killiecanary"]I agree with much of what Parma writes.

Adams has a lot going for him. What''s I find interesting is the way many people are saying he can''t get the job as he doesn''t have enough experience as a manager, and then suggest that Adams stays as assistant to whoever does get the job! If he jo is I ever going to be a manager (and I understand he wants to be) he either needs to be given this job or leave. NCFC for a lower division managerial role if he can get one. Otherwise he will be in the same position when we eventually sack whoever we appoint![/quote]I think the point people are making about him being assistant is that they aren''t entirely against him being our manager one day, but don''t feel he''s quite up to the job on his own, just yet.And I would rather we retain him at the club in at least some capacity, either as a number 2, or first team coach.But he needs someone with a lot more managerial experience with him, for the time being.

I see that reasoning up to a point Morty. But the difference between any assistant and the ultimate managers responsibility is huge, and maybe not something that simply can be bridged by doing it for longer? I think it is telling that Mike Phelan still isn''t a manager despite what has to be the best apprenticeship around. Good assistants don''t often make great mangers - I suspect that is because it is more to do with personality and character type than experience.

morty wrote the following post at 05/05/2014 4:24 PM:

Jenkins wrote:

I don''t see anyone getting carried away?

Well you are prioritising Adams'' knowledge of our youth crop, when it really shouldn''t be a number one priority in choosing a new manager.

No, that''s not intended, what I have said, probably on another thread, is that it is a factor to be considered amongst many when the board make their decision. I happen to think that the development of our own young players is something they may well give some weight to, but. It''s only one of many factors.

If we''re going to do this thing, it needs to be done like the Premiership club we are.We need to get someone in who inspires confidence in the players, the fans, and any prospective transfer targets.I don''t want to be sat here this time next year bemoaning how we showed no ambition after appointing our youth team coach, and we have failed to make the play offs, and any decent players we have are n ow eying the exit door.

Adams for me all the way. He has done little wrong in 4 games despite the opposition, players have responded, not afraid to experiment and is worth a chance.

[quote user="morty"]If we''re going to do this thing, it needs to be done like the Premiership club we are.We need to get someone in who inspires confidence in the players, the fans, and any prospective transfer targets.I don''t want to be sat here this time next year bemoaning how we showed no ambition after appointing our youth team coach, and we have failed to make the play offs, and any decent players we have are n ow eying the exit door.[/quote]Why not? Could just as easily be bemoaning an experienced manager who didn''t deliver. Happens all the time. Redknapp is plenty experienced but has had a hard job getting QPR scoring this year in spite of Fernandes'' financial backing.

Fair point...but it''s not like appointing managers is an exact science is it?

Manure and SAF last effort makes that much clear.

We have no idea who would be most successful, much as we enjoy speculating. We know we got lucky with Lambert, but I wouldn''t want him back here, and not just for the way the tw@t has behaved on his visits to CR since...the sad fact is that it just would be hugely unlikely to be a success second time round.

The long and the short of it is that a first time manager may be successful, an experienced manager might not be, or vice versa. There just is no way of knowing.

Surely Redknapp with all his experience and tactical experience and man management experience at the very top ought to have taken the most expensively assembled championship squad ever to instant promotion?

I haven''t a clue who the best appointment might be, but I do appreciate that it is likely to be a helluva lot harder than some here seem to think...and the wrong move could be disastrous for our club...

As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.

Making Plans wrote the following post at 05/05/2014 5:18 PM:

He has done little wrong in 4 games despite the opposition, players have responded, not afraid to experiment and is worth a chance.

-------------------------------------------------

I would personally disagree with that (i''m not saying I blame him for the position that we are in btw) but although i thought his tactics at the bridge were spot on, I thinks in every game before that, he''s set the team up wrong

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"]If we''re going to do this thing, it needs to be done like the Premiership club we are.We need to get someone in who inspires confidence in the players, the fans, and any prospective transfer targets.I don''t want to be sat here this time next year bemoaning how we showed no ambition after appointing our youth team coach, and we have failed to make the play offs, and any decent players we have are n ow eying the exit door.[/quote]Why not? Could just as easily be bemoaning an experienced manager who didn''t deliver. Happens all the time. Redknapp is plenty experienced but has had a hard job getting QPR scoring this year in spite of Fernandes'' financial backing.[/quote]I would love that if we appoint Adams that he is a massive success, I really would. And as you correctly pointed out there are no certainties (though I don''t think QPR or Harry Redknapp can be used as a good example to support any point) but I really do think it is vital that we give ourselves the very best possible chance of success.I want a name that excites people, and attracts players to our club. A name that is respected within the game, that other managers will worry about when playing us.I just don''t think appointing our youth team coach ticks enough of those boxes.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.[/quote]Lets not forget that there could well be quite a few of them no longer at the club next season....Also lets not forget that it was picking the wrong formation that meant we needed to fight back in the first place....

Who are these fabled managers though? Name some? A big name, well respected in the game, who can attract top players to the club? If there is such a manager, they sure as hell aren''t coming to Norwich. And if they are, it means they are not ambitious enough. Sad but true.

Roeder was a "name", Hughton was a "name", but look at the mess they got us in. We need to stick to what Norwich have always been best at. Nuturing Youth players, signing hungry lower league players, and having a team that is passionate, and who will play for the manager and the club.

One thing I can see, Neil Adams has ambition burning inside him.

[quote user="Nechtology"]Who are these fabled managers though? Name some? A big name, well respected in the game, who can attract top players to the club? If there is such a manager, they sure as hell aren''t coming to Norwich. And if they are, it means they are not ambitious enough. Sad but true.

Roeder was a "name", Hughton was a "name", but look at the mess they got us in. We need to stick to what Norwich have always been best at. Nuturing Youth players, signing hungry lower league players, and having a team that is passionate, and who will play for the manager and the club.

One thing I can see, Neil Adams has ambition burning inside him.[/quote]You are Neil, aren''t you?

[quote user="Nechtology"]Who are these fabled managers though? Name some? A big name, well respected in the game, who can attract top players to the club? If there is such a manager, they sure as hell aren''t coming to Norwich. And if they are, it means they are not ambitious enough. Sad but true.

One thing I can see, Neil Adams has ambition burning inside him.[/quote]Picking up on that point specifically, you don''t think a financially solvent club that has just spent three years in the Premiership is a draw for a decent manager?Sounds a bit like you are pitching this in a way that says "a club our size doesn''t deserve a big name"No, I don''t have any names for you, but I think we should looking at getting the best man for the job, not just the most convenient.

Neil Adams seems like a super bloke and has done nothing wrong so far in the four games, BUT he is not the answer. This may be controversial but I do not think he deserves to be full time manger of Norwich City Football Club. He is not proven yet!!

Roberto Di Matteo, Steve Clarke, Nigel Adkins or my fourth option would be Malky Mackay.

Morty said

We need an appointment that makes the fans, and the players, think "Wow, we really mean business here", not a safe option.

Totally agree with this Morty. This will be the key for next season and beyond.

Adams has showed he''s not a bad coach and given 10 games to save us he could well have done it but to appoint him for next season in the Chumps? Nah - too risky I''m afraid

[quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.[/quote]Lets not forget that there could well be quite a few of them no longer at the club next season....Also lets not forget that it was picking the wrong formation that meant we needed to fight back in the first place....[/quote]No manager anywhere has a crystal ball. He was trying something different, which given the circumstances was not unreasonable. The irony that moving towards a more Hughtonesque formation during the game improved matters did not escape me. That he was adaptable enough to do so was a big point in his favour.

Yes for me ,we have to rebuild anyways so I would rather we do that with someone who bleeds NCFC than an "experienced" or foreign manager,who would see us as a stepping stone to a "bigger club". For me he is more positive than hoots ever was, was not afraid to step up in spite of the remaining 4 fixtures we could do a lot worse, need to clear a lot of dead wood tho, however if Adams dosnt get it ,then Malky .

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.[/quote]Lets not forget that there could well be quite a few of them no longer at the club next season....Also lets not forget that it was picking the wrong formation that meant we needed to fight back in the first place....[/quote]No manager anywhere has a crystal ball. He was trying something different, which given the circumstances was not unreasonable. The irony that moving towards a more Hughtonesque formation during the game improved matters did not escape me. That he was adaptable enough to do so was a big point in his favour.

[/quote]We can eulogise all day about it though, the outcome was still nil points. Worse for me (other than the umpteen hours in a bus it involved) was Man Utd. Totally there for the taking, we had nothing to lose there, and frankly we just didn''t show up. Lets leave the comparisons to Hughton though, onwards and upwards[Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.[/quote]Lets not forget that there could well be quite a few of them no longer at the club next season....Also lets not forget that it was picking the wrong formation that meant we needed to fight back in the first place....[/quote]No manager anywhere has a crystal ball. He was trying something different, which given the circumstances was not unreasonable. The irony that moving towards a more Hughtonesque formation during the game improved matters did not escape me. That he was adaptable enough to do so was a big point in his favour.

[/quote]We can eulogise all day about it though, the outcome was still nil points. Worse for me (other than the umpteen hours in a bus it involved) was Man Utd. Totally there for the taking, we had nothing to lose there, and frankly we just didn''t show up. Lets leave the comparisons to Hughton though, onwards and upwards[Y][/quote]I think the comparison to CH is quite important to be honest. I still think some people gave him much too hard a time and if they hadn''t done such a good job of creating a siege mentality so early on in the squad with the incessant negativity directed at them then the squad may have had that little bit more self-confidence and we might be in a better position now, but it''s done.

[quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.[/quote]Lets not forget that there could well be quite a few of them no longer at the club next season....Also lets not forget that it was picking the wrong formation that meant we needed to fight back in the first place....[/quote]No manager anywhere has a crystal ball. He was trying something different, which given the circumstances was not unreasonable. The irony that moving towards a more Hughtonesque formation during the game improved matters did not escape me. That he was adaptable enough to do so was a big point in his favour.

[/quote]We can eulogise all day about it though, the outcome was still nil points. Worse for me (other than the umpteen hours in a bus it involved) was Man Utd. Totally there for the taking, we had nothing to lose there, and frankly we just didn''t show up. Lets leave the comparisons to Hughton though, onwards and upwards[Y][/quote]I think the comparison to CH is quite important to be honest. I still think some people gave him much too hard a time and if they hadn''t done such a good job of creating a siege mentality so early on in the squad with the incessant negativity directed at them then the squad may have had that little bit more self-confidence and we might be in a better position now, but it''s done. [/quote]I completely agree with you, for the record. But theres nothing to be gained from continuing to rake over it.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"][quote user="morty"][quote user="littleyellowbirdie"]As a further point, Adams doesn''t seem to have an issue with getting the players playing for him. Liverpool was the best fight-back we''ve seen from a Norwich team in quite a while.[/quote]Lets not forget that there could well be quite a few of them no longer at the club next season....Also lets not forget that it was picking the wrong formation that meant we needed to fight back in the first place....[/quote]No manager anywhere has a crystal ball. He was trying something different, which given the circumstances was not unreasonable. The irony that moving towards a more Hughtonesque formation during the game improved matters did not escape me. That he was adaptable enough to do so was a big point in his favour.

[/quote]We can eulogise all day about it though, the outcome was still nil points. Worse for me (other than the umpteen hours in a bus it involved) was Man Utd. Totally there for the taking, we had nothing to lose there, and frankly we just didn''t show up. Lets leave the comparisons to Hughton though, onwards and upwards[Y][/quote]I think the comparison to CH is quite important to be honest. I still think some people gave him much too hard a time and if they hadn''t done such a good job of creating a siege mentality so early on in the squad with the incessant negativity directed at them then the squad may have had that little bit more self-confidence and we might be in a better position now, but it''s done. [/quote]I completely agree with you, for the record. But theres nothing to be gained from continuing to rake over it.

[/quote]You''re quite right, I just hold out some small hope that some might learn for the future.

Yeah it is a draw for a decent manager. It''s not that a club our size doesn''t deserve a big name, it''s more a case of why would a big name come to our club? We need to accept the size and stature of this football club before anything else. A club of Norwich City''s size is PERFECT for an ambitious young manager. It worked with Dave Stringer, Mike Walker (not so young admittedly, but experience wise) Martin O''Neill and Paul Lambert. The hierachy with them was Club first, then manager, then players. a "name" wont come here, and if they did, would they really put blood, sweat and tears into it? Or would they turn up, get paid, and reflect back on their earlier success? We need hunger, and desire.

[quote user="Nechtology"]Yeah it is a draw for a decent manager. It''s not that a club our size doesn''t deserve a big name, it''s more a case of why would a big name come to our club? We need to accept the size and stature of this football club before anything else. A club of Norwich City''s size is PERFECT for an ambitious young manager. It worked with Dave Stringer, Mike Walker (not so young admittedly, but experience wise) Martin O''Neill and Paul Lambert. The hierachy with them was Club first, then manager, then players. a "name" wont come here, and if they did, would they really put blood, sweat and tears into it? Or would they turn up, get paid, and reflect back on their earlier success? We need hunger, and desire.[/quote]I could write you a long list too, of managers it didn''t work with.I take your point about Adams'' enthusiasm for the cause, I just don''t think its a risk that the club should be taking.We will be in the market for new players over the summer, and a club that has just appointed their youth team coach won''t exactly attract the quality of players we need, nor will Neil have the experience of previous management to successfully identify targets.It takes more that just being young, hungry, and enthusiastic.

[quote user="Wiz"]I have been very pro Adams but I still have a few nagging doubts about him and his lack of managerial experience......like why wasn''t Hooper used against Chelski towards the end?So its a small no atm.......but as an assistant to the next manager he would be ideal. :scared:[/quote]I can sympathise with Adams not doing so to be honest. Chelsea were going at us pretty doggedly and when all''s said and done they''re an extremely talented side. Even when we''ve set up to attack this season the goal constipation has continued and one slip would have meant survival was completely beyond hope rather just almost beyond hope as it is now.

Ok, let''s go get that big name manager. I''m off to drive my Ferrari to my £5 million Hollywood Hills mansion.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Morty said

We need an appointment that makes the fans, and the players, think "Wow, we really mean business here", not a safe option.

Totally agree with this Morty. This will be the key for next season and beyond.

Adams has showed he''s not a bad coach and given 10 games to save us he could well have done it but to appoint

him for next season in the Chumps? Nah - too risky I''m

afraid[/quote]

Hear this so often, please can anyone name me a manager (who is a realistic option..not Guardiola et al) who would make everyone say wow. Sorry I can''t come up with one. I get the impression from some it will have to be a foreign manager who is good on Championship manager or whatever.

I don''t think we can afford a wow manager. We might get an ooh or an aaah, likely to get an eurgh or even an aargh, but I can''t see a wow!