Sign in to follow this  
#

Adams. YES or NO?

Our last Youth team coach promoted from within didnt do too bad did he !

Ive seen enough in the past few games to convince me yes.

immy Smith wrote the following post at 05/05/2014 10:19 AM:

No for me. I want Malkay. He is an expert at Championship level and has the fighting qualities Hughton could only dream of. Not to mention Cardiff were sailing along pretty well this season under him until Tan got involved. Malkay is the man.

So what would you do Jimmy.

Appoint Malky, the expert at Championship level, let him get promotion and then sack him?

Experts at Championship level are so because they have not proved themselves, have failed at Premiership level or are not wanted at Premiership level. With the number of Premiership vacancies that come up every season if these experts were that good then they would be appointed at a Premiership club.

I don''t want an expert at Championship level ...... I just want a good manager, whether he is unproven, proven abroad or proven at Premiership level.

A manager who has spent a lot of seasons in the Championship has been there for a reason.

No. Player contacts and managerial contacts are key to maximising our chances of returning to the top flight. Frankly, at one level, I can''t believe we''re even having this debate but I suppose after the board''s egregious errors of this season anything is possible.

No for me, though happy if he was Assistant, maybe to Malky. It was a bit of a thankless task that he was given, and he''s done ok - but not really any more than that: boil it down however you want but under him we''ve still lost 3, including against a (fellow) relegated side and drawn 1 and for me that is no more than Hughton would have done.

It is in large part down to the fact that on relegation I think we need as much experience as we can muster to sort/identify all the comings and goings that will inevitably happen.

I don''t see any justification in labelling Adams a ''disaster'' or ''safe'' option....he has shown no signs of being a managerial ''disaster''.

I agree he''s the ''cheap'' option, but I would argue giving a relatively young and ambitious manager the opportunity to get us out of the Championship is anything but ''safe''. I have been impressed with the majority of his tactical approaches considering he has been up against a handful of the world''s best tacticians (and Ryan Giggs, but that was probably always their day) certainly Mourinho and Rodgers are close to the pinnacle of reactivity v proactivity in world class tactical management.

So: Neil Adams.....seriously, why not?

I don''t recall Bryan Gunn winning any Youth Cups

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]I don''t see any justification in labelling Adams a ''disaster'' or ''safe'' option....he has shown no signs of being a managerial ''disaster''.

I agree he''s the ''cheap'' option, but I would argue giving a relatively young and ambitious manager the opportunity to get us out of the Championship is anything but ''safe''. I have been impressed with the majority of his tactical approaches considering he has been up against a handful of the world''s best tacticians (and Ryan Giggs, but that was probably always their day) certainly Mourinho and Rodgers are close to the pinnacle of reactivity v proactivity in world class tactical management.

So: Neil Adams.....seriously, why not?

I don''t recall Bryan Gunn winning any Youth Cups[/quote]Wouldn''t it be nice though to not take the "why not?" option?Paul Lambert wasn''t a "why not?" option.

No from me I am afraid. We have no time to wait while Neil learns the managerial trade.

We need an appointment that makes the fans, and the players, think "Wow, we really mean business here", not a safe option.

I think the board need to think carefully about what they want to achieve before making a decision.

It isn''t a matter of who we as supporters want. We would have a long list.

And let''s not criticise them too harshly. They watch as much football as we do and are big enough to form an opinion of their own.

Of course we can point out their mistakes. The Gunn period for one was extraordinary. And even the most die hard Hughton supporter must now realise they left it far too late to sack him.

And I guess they panicked after the crowd reaction to the WBA defeat.

They had no replacement for Hughton and who was left internally to take the helm?

The only man left was Adams, who according to many has no managerial experience despite guiding teenagers, never easy to handle as many of you may know from experience, to a well deserved trophy that includes all the top teams.

Credit to him for taking it. He could have said no and just basked in the sunshine of his achievement. But he stepped forward knowing that his popularity could evaporate and has to a certain degree with many of you.

I know of course that if he had kept us up, he would have had two suns to bask in. But that was a real long shot at best.

So I believe the board has to consider the immediate future.

Is it that important to bounce straight back up? If so then I would not go for Adams. I would definitely go for someone not entirely popular but who had a better than even chance of succeeding. That is looking at people like Warnock who have done it time after time. But of course he wouldn''t be many supporters choice would he?

If we want to return to the good, progressive and attacking style of football we have been used to then it would appear you have to broaden your choice. And I do mean widely. Pushing the boat out for someone with that history possibly a Hiddink or a Rijkaard. Believe me I''m not on drugs, just speculating.

If we are prepared to wait a season or maybe two then I would advocate Adams. We wasted much of our young talent over the years because of immediacy. We appear to have a fresh crop that show good promise. And Adams has nurtured these lads.

Have the Murphys, Lozas, McGeehans have shown enough to be given a chance to build rather than mend?

It isn''t up to us of course and I don''t envy the board. They are doing it for the love of the club and know they will come under a barrage from some quarters if they make an apparent unpopular decision.

I would give malkay a proper chance at premiership level as it appeared he was succeeding well there until tan got involved.

The genie is out of the bottle imo.  Now Adams has the taste for the job, he would maybe find it difficult to step down or be an assistant.  He hasn''t done badly since taking over, in an almost impossible position. 

Also, as long as McNally stays and the continuity within the club carries on, that stability could help him grow into the role, particularly if we go down to the Championship.   As when the previous manager was threatened with the sack earlier this season, a lot of the names put forward at that time did not inspire any confidence.  

So if he wants it, he should have it, imo.

I agree with Morty over the need for a ''wow'' factor in the appointment. With just a one in four chance of going up next season if the historical trend is continued, our initial Championship appointment could not be more critical.

LDC

So if he wants it, he should have it, imo.

Absolutely agree, and I think he will most definately want it.

It is a risk as any management appointment is, but he has the tactical nouse to be a success.

He will make many mistakes but I don''t think he is the sort of guy to make the same mistake twice, if that proves to be the case then he has my support.

Considering some of the drama here in recent years re Hughton, I am surprised at how many people would be happy with "Oh look, here come little old relegated Norwich with their youth team manager"

I would agree, Morty, but our why not option at that stage was apparently Bryan Gunn. I''m sure you can see that this is more than a little different. I believe Adams has massive potential from what I have seen and we should give him the chance to harness it. That, for me, would be ambition. Malky would bore me to tears...might as well bring back Hughton

If we pick up 3 points next week, then those that support NA will see it as a reason to appoint him, those that don''t will probably say, well Arsenal had nothing to play for and have the FA Cup next week, so the result doesn''t really count.

From what I have seen, he has raised the moral of the squad dramatically, although it could be argued there was only one way it could go. He is a tactician of note, however he has only competed at the top level for 4 games so far, and tbh you can probaly discount the Fulham game as he only had 4 days to sort things.

He is also prepared to make tough decisions, insomuch as he has omitted players who he felt were not prepared to fight for the cause.

In his short tennure he has also taken some brave tactical decisions (let''s face it he baffled Jose).

Playing Olsson in midfield yesterday for example. Also, I see putting Redmond on yesterday as potentially a very astute move, OK he is not a CF but the only way we were likely to get anything from the game was by a quick break with the ball at the feet of a pacy tricky player, what would he have achieved by putting on RvW or Hooper and taking a mdfielder off would probably have consgned us to defeat.

We can all criticise the first 10 minutes of the Liverpool game but if you take the next 80 minutes and especially the second half plus yesterday''s 90 mins alone, then I suspect the number of ''YES'' votes would dramatically increase, add to this a similar spirited performance next week and a win, then ...!

The Man Utd game was probably tainted by the constant Giggsy media frenzy, which must have had an effect on the mindset of the players, so I am prepared to ignore this performance, although with more experience perhaps NA could have negated this effect.

I am looking for a Manager with tactical nous, who can learn quickly and who has the full respect of the team and who is prepared to take tough decisions and not people please, which imo is what CH did much of the time. I think NA ticks these boxes, others may do too of course.

Some will say, with a certain amount of justification, that he doesn''t have the contacts required, well we don''t factually know that do we, it may be the case but to counter this, he does know our youngsters and what they are capable of and perhaps more importantly how to bring them on, as last years success with the U18''s proves and if he can bring 2 or 3 of them through this frees up more of our transfer budget for the experienced players we will need to supplement the team.

So, to summarise, I am saying a guarded YES.

[quote user="Canary On The Wire"]I would agree, Morty, but our why not option at that stage was apparently Bryan Gunn. I''m sure you can see that this is more than a little different. I believe Adams has massive potential from what I have seen and we should give him the chance to harness it. That, for me, would be ambition. Malky would bore me to tears...might as well bring back Hughton[/quote]Completely agree re Malky.What have you based your opinion on re Adams'' massive potential?I would like to think the board learned their lesson re the Gunn appointment, they must cringe when they look back on it, I don''t think we would make a similar mistake again.

Adams is bulletproof though Ray, he can make the bravest decisions possible, knowing full well that if we go down, Hughton will carry the can for it.Totally different ball game if he has the job on a full time basis, it won''t be so easy to take brave decisions then.

[quote user="morty"]Considering some of the drama here in recent years re Hughton, I am surprised at how many people would be happy with "Oh look, here come little old relegated Norwich with their youth team manager"[/quote]

Actually, I think that many people who wanted the previous manager out realise that there is no stand out replacement on offer and we risk getting someone who looks like they might do a job but may well not be any better.    Many people at the time though Roeder was a good replacement for Grant.......

People would soon forget Adams was a youth team coach if we start winning a few games.   And we know Adams can inspire a team to the biggest prize on offer.   Nothing "little old" about it whatsoever.

He is highly qualified coach who has successfully learned his trade with the Accademy.

He is ready for the step up.

Norwich developing their own management potential should certainly not be seen as little old Norwich, it''s something many clubs of our size would be proud of.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Considering some of the drama here in recent years re Hughton, I am surprised at how many people would be happy with "Oh look, here come little old relegated Norwich with their youth team manager"[/quote]

Actually, I think that many people who wanted the previous manager out realise that there is no stand out replacement on offer and we risk getting someone who looks like they might do a job but may well not be any better.    Many people at the time though Roeder was a good replacement for Grant.......

People would soon forget Adams was a youth team coach if we start winning a few games.   And we know Adams can inspire a team to the biggest prize on offer.   Nothing "little old" about it whatsoever.

[/quote]You do of course realise that there is a massive difference in youth team coaching, and Championship football though?Take away the emotion of the position we find ourselves in, forget Adams was a great player for us, and our youth team coach. Now ask yourself honestly, purely on his merits and his CV, is he the right man to lead a Championship charge next season.For me, it is too difficult to take the loyalties out of it, lets hope the board are more objective.Coming soon to a failing Championship campaign near you though, the huge stick of the Norwich board did it on the cheap yet again.

Absolutely Morty,

Not his fault though, just a fact of life and we don''t know what his mindset will be given the different cicumstances of the Championship, although we also ought to factor in the pressure he may have been feeling having accepted the job and what it could mean to his future in the game. However, we didn''t know that CH would have us playing dire negative stuff when he was appointed and he came with bags of experience. The the risk is probably the similar whoever is put in place.

[quote user="Ray"]Absolutely Morty,

Not his fault though, just a fact of life and we don''t know what his mindset will be given the different cicumstances of the Championship, although we also ought to factor in the pressure he may have been feeling having accepted the job and what it could mean to his future in the game. However, we didn''t know that CH would have us playing dire negative stuff when he was appointed and he came with bags of experience. The the risk is probably the similar whoever is put in place.[/quote]No not his fault at all Ray.But in making the appointment you mitigate the risks, based on a previous track record.That Adams hasn''t got.I have nothing against the man, and would love to be proved wrong, but it is more of a risk making an appointment with your heart, than your head.

I wonder what Scunthorpe fans honestly thought of making their Physio full time manager...but it ended in promotion to the Championship.

Freedman had less than a years as an Assistant before being promoted to the top Job at Palace.

Eddie Howe, some peoples pick, was youth team manager before taking over at Bournemouth.

Brian McDermott was chief scout at Reading and youth and reserve manager before stepping up.

Mackay had only been coaching for 2 and a half years before taking over Watford, and was still technically playing for 18 months of that.

All managers have to start somewhere and just because one is promoted from within, with no managerial, or no recent managerial experience doesn''t mean they won''t be "successful", which is of course a relative term to individual supporters.

I honestly see no reason why Adams, if the Board believe he has the necessary qualities, would be any more or less successful than a established Championship manager.

[quote user="Monty13"]I wonder what Scunthorpe fans honestly thought of making their Physio full time manager...but it ended in promotion to the Championship.

Freedman had less than a years as an Assistant before being promoted to the top Job at Palace.

Eddie Howe, some peoples pick, was youth team manager before taking over at Bournemouth.

Brian McDermott was chief scout at Reading and youth and reserve manager before stepping up.

Mackay had only been coaching for 2 and a half years before taking over Watford, and was still technically playing for 18 months of that.

All managers have to start somewhere and just because one is promoted from within, with no managerial, or no recent managerial experience doesn''t mean they won''t be "successful", which is of course a relative term to individual supporters.

I honestly see no reason why Adams, if the Board believe he has the necessary qualities, would be any more or less successful than a established Championship manager.[/quote]And thats why they are paid the money to make the decisions, I''m glad I don''t have to make it, it could possibly shape the future of this club for a very long time. Promoted at first time of asking, or languishing in the Championship for the next ten years, building up that debt again.

Morty''s not saying that it can''t possibly work, he''s saying that it''s a big risk. One that we don''t necessarily need to take