Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Why Norwich need a new management structure

It will be interesting to see how all the bits fit together. One danger is that roles and responsibilities are not clearly defined and as some poster have alluded to, the director of football or the technical consultant or whatever name is given, is something of a manager-in-waiting. Never a healthy proposition.

I mentioned in another thread that what is needed is a top-down approach consisting of Objective-Strategy-Tactics. Hopefully these new appointees will align to implement this kind of approach.

Given the objective as promotion this season, I expect the football consultant will be working with the manager to ensure that the correct strategy is developed to achieve the desired objective. Then during the season JR will be assessing how well the strategy is working. So I expect the role to be more than just an experienced guy on the end of the phone giving advice when asked. I expect him to be more proactive in evaluating the manager''s performance.

The technical director is more aligned with tactics. In other words, more day-to-day fitness and session work. Although a director in name more hands-on than in the board.

If, as has been suggested, the TD is going to be Mark Wotte, then City will at last have a much wider view of football, given his range of experience. He obviously knows the technical side of the game, but could bring much more to the team than that.

The word plenipotentiary (from the Latin, plenus + potens, full + power) has two meanings. As a noun, it refers to a person who has "full powers." In particular, the term commonly refers to a diplomat fully authorized to represent his or her government as a prerogative (e.g., ambassador). As an adjective, plenipotentiary refers to that which confers "full powers."

Thanks TCC, had to look that one up myself.So that means Joe Royle has been given full powers by the board to both suggest and make changes in playing style and personnel without further recourse to the board.Interesting.

The real lines of communication within the new structure will be interesting.

We have moved from an over-exclusive football fiefdom - with a temporary emperor figurehead, who takes the kitchen sink and the piggy bank with him, whenever anointed or deposed - to a multi-layered oversight committee with heavyweight voices and transfer, media and wise-owl influence.

The board will have reporting structures and accessible football-insider information on the assets in real-time, but who has who''s ear in the new court of Norwich...

That''s how i see it Parma. With Hughton the board were looking at the long term future of the whole football club. Part of the decision making over his first team tenure must have included the effect over the whole club. The new way has someone specifically charged with the first team but not in control of other aspects. This will hopefully function better but it also makes it easier to change the first team manager without impacting the rest of the football club.

As PC and I have pointed out on several threads a good deal of what Hughton did, both in a club-wide and strict coaching sense, was intelligent, thoughtful and diligent. This would forever be the case with any single manager. The good departs with the bad. The cult and romance of the unilateral emperor makes addictive, wide-eyed copy for the credulous, but it is not good business. Its origins are in insecure football protectionism. I like the template I see now. I expect refinement, shifting roles and favourites at court and (I should be disappointed not to see) some Macchiavellian manoeuvrings to curry favour at court, which will generate some constructive stress, but the longer term consequence will be the dissolving of Chinese walls between business and football and some much-needed cross-pollination of information, ideas and principles of scrutiny and oversight from board to ball.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I must confess that I have had difficulty with Parma''s input previously. One notable assertion from him this season was that draws are as good as wins. On this thread I''m afraid Parma gets lost by being preoccupied with his own maize of flowery verbiage and, having made the point that no industry other than football would entrust former players to management oversight roles, then fails to define what skills are required for a candidate fitting into a new management structure to ensure better oversight. How does such a candidate know when to pull the trigger or put the gun in the holster for another day?  

[/quote]Much the same, as it reads like some Chinese instructions translated into (Chinese style) English)However aside from the ''Birtspeak'' much of the basis on which it is written, is flawed." In no other industry does the best lorry driver become the chief Executive of the transport company." Nor in football do footballers. A football manager is NOT the chief executive.Likewise with Abramovic, who is no more than a front for some other ''shady'' characters. It''s not too difficult to launder money through international transfers - a certain dog owner a mile or so up the road from Stamford Bridge bears witness to that.Keep it simple, Mr Parmolive

As PC and I have pointed out on several threads a good deal of what Hughton did, both in a club-wide and strict coaching sense, was intelligent, thoughtful and diligent. This would forever be the case with any single manager. The good departs with the bad. The cult and romance of the unilateral emperor makes addictive, wide-eyed copy for the credulous, but it is not good business. Its origins are in insecure football protectionism. I like the template I see now. I expect refinement, shifting roles and favourites at court and (I should be disappointed not to see) some Macchiavellian manoeuvrings to curry favour at court, which will generate some constructive stress, but the longer term consequence will be the dissolving of Chinese walls between business and football and some much-needed cross-pollination of information, ideas and principles of scrutiny and oversight from board to ball.BabelfishBirtspeak to English (as hunderstood by the lower orders)''Hughton was ok, but it is better now it''s going to be mixed up  a bit''

Sadly the reasoning that underpins the above gobbledegook is still deeply flawed

Blimey, in a thread full of meaningless gibberish up pops LDCwho would have thought it

City1st, I still haven''t seen you come up with an answer as to why exactly you feel the need to belittle those who pursue an understanding of football greater than the passionate casual.

However I expect you''ll attempt to patronise me in the same way you do everyone else.

Dullard.

Maybe because no such understandung has been put forward. Old bo llox is still old bo llox whatever Birtspeak it is dressed up up in.In the meantime perhaps you could get a grown up to explain to you the difference between criticism of the argument and an attack upon the person (something that seems to have escaped your grasp of things).

[quote user="City1st"] Old bo llox is still old bo llox whatever Birtspeak it is dressed up up in.In the meantime perhaps you could get a grown up to explain to you the difference between criticism of the argument and an attack upon the person (something that seems to have escaped your grasp of things).[/quote]

Your cynicism affects everything you write about anything.  Anything that doesn''t fit your view of the world is dismissed and in the process, demeaning  decent posters and putting forward facetious and misleading replies that do nothing that add to the argument, showing nothing  except your desire to undermine them.  Plainly this is an interesting thread to plenty of posters.  Your attempt to undermine the op and then your attempt to argue your case reads like a spoiled child who has been left out of a party, complains about it, then tries to gatecrash it.   Nice - not.

I think the structure is nearly complete the final piece will almost certainly be Ricky Martin

Well said LDC and Ron.

I think you''d be an excellent fit for Millwall, City1st First - ever considered it?

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Four years ago.

Parma[/quote]
If your point is that City 1st is just as ignorant as he was back then, you''d be wrong.
He''s worse.

Yep, pretty lame to go and dig up 4 or 5 old threads for the sole purpose of saying ''look how right and knowledgeable I am!''

[quote user="king canary"]Yep, pretty lame to go and dig up 4 or 5 old threads for the sole purpose of saying ''look how right and knowledgeable I am!''[/quote]
Normally I''d agree but with the stick he''s had from a select few (City 1st being a key example) I don''t blame him.