Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Next season - if we stay up.

If we stay up and Hughton stays, what would it take for the "hootunouters" to accept him?   I still think the vast majority of fans would soon improve their attitude to him if we start scoring more goals and improving away from home, to match the home form.   Success is measured in different ways by different people, but to me we are like a team in transition, some good things, some not so good, some elements working well, some not.  

When we are playing well - we look excellent - and look a threat - but the opposite is of course true too. So if Hughton can get that consistency, or balance right more often - and the strikers find their feet - would more people find him easier to accept? 

We are imo a player or two short of being an excellent squad - a more mature Redmond next year, a fit Fer and Howson at their best, competition for Snodgrass in terms of E Bennett or a new player to come in,  a creative midfielder to add to the mix  and it is not hard to see where progress can be made.   We''ve seen our team perform brilliantly at home to MC, Spurs and Sunderland (oh yes I forgot, it was because they were poor - ya da ya da) so we know they can do it now - just not consistently enough.   With just a small amount of tweaking - maybe even luck - we could be just a small step from real progress - and lets not forget that CH has a record of managing sides that are fluid, balanced and free-scoring.  

Its a gamble if we were to replace him - so why not gamble by giving Hughton the benefit of the doubt?   After all, if we stay up this season, where it is so tight, that will be two seasons in a row of  keeping a lesser resourced club in the most difficult league in the world.    There is no reason to suppose he couldn''t do it again for a third season - and the problem solving and growing pains that we have had these last two seasons may evolve into something really special.     

Lennon? Clarke? A.N other?  All possibles, but all gambles.   So why not gamble with what we''ve got?   After all CH knows the players, the club, the fans - and he knows we have to score more goals and be more consistent. 

There have been some reasonable references for managers e.g Bielsa, Rosler etc. But why would anyone want Lennon as the norwich manager? it makes o sense

At least if we go down you will feck off because you won''t be able to watch any streams and can''t listen to Radio Norfolk in Cumbria.

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Should we not have a limit on this message board about how many LOOK AT ME threads you can start in a fixed period say one a week?[/quote]

Its a fair thread and a fair question, Dobbin.  Just because you have issues with me doesn''t change that. 

[quote user="Le Juge"]At least if we go down you will feck off because you won''t be able to watch any streams and can''t listen to Radio Norfolk in Cumbria.

[/quote]

Not very nice, is it?

Are you the PinkUn Plod?

"Not very nice, is it?"Am I in any way morally or contractually obliged to be nice?

IMO Hughton has had his chance. If we stay up he should still be replaced. Even if you use the idea of a long-term plan, with that type of approach you can accept some inconsistency but need to be seeing signs of progress. Personally, I haven''t see many signs of progress that convince me Hughton and the coaching staff are going to get this right. If anything, we have regressed over the course of the season. We are not going to change now so it comes down to whose available in summer. Not sure Lennon is right for us.

I will never accept Chris Hughton as Norwich City manager.

He will never change his outlook and approach to football games. This season is basically it - what having CH as manager would be like long-term.

Unfortunately ardent Hughton apologists just can''t accept Hughton will never improve , the boring LDC being the main culprit.

The fact that LDC thinks one day the football and away performances will improve is totally laughable. In his two seasons we''ve REGRESSED. It will never get better. Just accept this and move on you silly fool.

Funny how many of the most vocal pro-Hughtoners are the ones who don''t go to many games.I guess that actually paying money to watch that sh*te gives you a different perspective.

The thing scaring many of the nastier Hughton outers, the genuinely horrendous human being types, isn''t that Hughton is here next season.

It''s that Hughton will keep us up, leave amicably and not be remembered in the same vein and roeder, grant or gunn. Remembered simply as the guy that was more boring than lambert and kept us up for two seasons.

However you paint it, however hard some people will and are trying to write the history books you cannot change that keeping us up for two seasons then leaving amicably, probably getting a good job somewhere else will go down as a success. A boring success but in no way comparable with other uselss managers and eras we have had in the past.

If Hughton stays, they get to moan for another season, which is what some of them desperately want.

Keep us up and the legacy is set, that is the thing that haunts most of "those guys" the ones that get so angry about Hughton that the vein goes up on their forehead. The ones you back away from in the pub. The ones that take it all too seriously and are really easy to wind up OOOPS! Did that slip out! Haha

[quote user="Le Juge"]Funny how many of the most vocal pro-Hughtoners are the ones who don''t go to many games.

I guess that actually paying money to watch that sh*te gives you a different perspective.
[/quote]

This is why the plastic infestation of our club is so damaging to it.

In summary, Hughton keeps us up, leaves amicably, Lennon in. That''s what I''d want I think.

[quote user="The Ghost of Becchio"]

Unfortunately ardent Hughton apologists just can''t accept Hughton will never improve [/quote]

This attitude that people can''t improve is one I find very difficult.   We get it all the time with attitudes to players and managers.   But people can improve.  If you have the mind to improve your performance - you can improve it.  It is the problem of how long it takes that is the issue.  Two years is a long time in football, but it can take longer to build something worthwhile at a football club.Patience and understanding are needed, but as long as we are in the top division and the team are playing for the manager, I see no reason to change. It can improve and imo, will improve.

[quote user="Le Juge"]At least if we go down you will feck off because you won''t be able to watch any streams and can''t listen to Radio Norfolk in Cumbria.

[/quote]

You can get Radio Norfolk on the Internet thing and the Internet thing is available in Cumbria.

In Cumbria they''re not called ''streams'', they call them ''becks''.

Regardless what anybody thinks of LDC, in his defence its not a look at me post and similar posts have been posted before without the reaction just because of who posted it. Its actually a pretty valid point regarding an entirely plausible scenario that could happen in a few months.

I personally think Hughton will be gone regardless. However, the club would need to make it clear within the first week of the season ending. If not it will turn into a will he/wont he sideshow. If they are going to stick then McNally will simply need to do another interview saying so.

If he stays then fans should back him. If the club has made it clear that hes staying then nothing will be done to remove him so come the new season fans will have no choice to get behind him and hope things improve. however, i don''t think fans will be as tolerant next season - this time last year fans were saying to give him 10games to get us going. Since then we haven''t had an improvement in results but they haven''t been bad enough to sack him either (in the boards opinion). I don''t think he would be as lucky next season, although i just hope it doesn''t descend into a farce where people in carrow road are willing us to lose just because he might get sacked

"If Hughton stays, they get to moan for another season, which is what some of them desperately want"Names?

"You can get Radio Norfolk on the Internet thing and the Internet thing is available in Cumbria"Thought they weren''t allowed to broadcast football on the internet / outside of Norfolk? Whenever I''ve tried on the BBC it is turned off for the footy.

[quote user="The Ghost of Becchio"]The best thing about Hughton getting sacked will be LDC back-pedalling and trying to cover his tracks. Some people can never admit they''re wrong.[/quote]

There is no right and wrong.  You can never tell if a decision is right or wrong.   If Gunn had been left in charge, we might have carried on after that 4-0 win, found our confidence and gone on to win L1, win the Championship and stay in the prem under him and he would still be manager now................If Lambert had stayed he may have got us relegated last season..............You just never know.Like I said in the op - its a gamble whoever we get - so the gamble in keeping Hughton is possibly less of a gamble than getting someone else in - but he has to improve things if he does stay.

[quote user="Le Juge"]I ask myself that same question quite a lot these days mrs miggins.[/quote]

No offence, but perhaps you might want to find something you enjoy?

Your point about LDC accepting hughton with open arms because he doesn''t go and see the games is valid. But for someone who does go to games for the most part such as myself, personally I can see the differences from last season, of which there are both positives and negatives. Next season will be extremely important for him. His first season was all about staying up with Lamberts players, the second is a transitional period, next season he has to get his football philosophy to work.

[quote user="Le Juge"]"If Hughton stays, they get to moan for another season, which is what some of them desperately want"Names?[/quote]

You?

[quote user="Le Juge"]"You can get Radio Norfolk on the Internet thing and the Internet thing is available in Cumbria"

Thought they weren''t allowed to broadcast football on the internet / outside of Norfolk? Whenever I''ve tried on the BBC it is turned off for the footy.
[/quote]

But you typed " can''t listen to Radio Norfolk in Cumbria. " when you can, it''s true that they don''t broadcast the commentary, you have to get Canaries World (also available on the Internet thing) for that.

Sometimes the other wireless stations do a commentary (in Cumbria you get the Irish commentary as well) or the wireless with pictures does one if you tune into the right channel. On the mobile ''phone you can get an app that tunes into stations all over the world sometimes you can find a commentary on one of those although its quite rare

If we stay up, and that''s a big if, we will say thank you and goodbye to Hughton.  Norwich have no divine right to play in the Premier League. The threat of relegation will always be there to some extent.  But it''s been evident over the past two seasons that the team has gone backwards.  Sadly, that regression may reach its logical conclusion before the season ends.