Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v WBA

On the stroll up to CR this afternoon I happened to hear somebody say that West Brom had not kept a clean sheet in more than twenty games. It seemed a bad omen at the time bearing in mind the number of similar records that have been broken whenever we turn up.I wasn''t surprised to see Hooper replace RVW but Wes on the left of midfield didn''t seem right for this match and so it proved as right from the off City struggled to find any kind of cohesion. In view of what was at stake both teams seemed nervy and the opening exchanges were littered with misplaced passes and free kicks. Tetty sent a 30 yarder high and wide while at the other end Dorrans shot from a similar range was comfortably gathered by John Ruddy. City did conjure a decent opening when Snoddy found Elmander just inside the box but he leaned back and the shot went well over. The first goal was going to be ultra important and in this respect it all went wrong in the 16th minute. Albion attacked down the left and it was a comedy of errors as a slipshod City defence allowed Amalfitano time and space to slot a low shot across Ruddy and into the corner.Oh dear, I thought, because it was obvious what was coming. West Brom formed two solid lines and for much of the rest of the half City struggled to breach them without success. We seemed to have neither the guile nor the speed to do anything other than pass across the font of their defence and eventually lose possession when we ran into a blind alley. Foster in the Albion goal was rarely troubled and only had to make one serious stop when he clawed away a looping header from Elmander.I was expecting some sort of change at halftime but it was same again as the second period started. There was a little more urgency on show and several corners were earned in quick succession but West Brom dealt comfortably with everything and Foster was not called into action. Albion didn''t commit many forward and relied mainly on intercepting badly placed passes as City went from side to side, taking seven or eight passes to advance ten yards. It was tedious stuff although, commendably, the crowd continued to encourage the team.On the hour City finally got within range when Hooper hit the bar from a narrow angle. Then City earned a free kick and Snoddy was a touch unlucky when Foster just got enough on it and the woodwork did the rest. It needed a change and Redmond for Wes was an obvious move. The little man had tried his best but was never able to find the time and space to have a telling influence on the game. Redmond injected a bit of pace but as usual there was little sign of an end result.Five minutes later it Was Becchio on for Elmander and although this was greeted with wild cheering it seemed to me like the actions of a desperate manager hoping against hope for a touch of good fortune. IMO it was a bit like expecting a donkey to win the Grand National. Needless to say, nothing much changed and Bassong''s aimless boot from the halfway line finding nobody within thirty yards was pretty typical of the whole afternoon.To give the crowd credit they stuck with it until injury time before the Hughton Out chants began and when the final whistle went it was with West Brom running down time in our half. It was God awful stuff but losing the first goal set the pattern for the game and at no time did I ever feel that we were going to get back in. So on to next week where I expect the third and last relegation position will be settled in a cup final at Craven Cottage. I thought it would go on until the final game but I fear that another defeat by the banks of the Thames is very likely to cook our Goose. There is no possibility of staying up on 32 points.There isn''t much of a bright side but at least if it all goes pop there will be a new manager and four extra home games to look forward to next year.[:(]

Thanks Ricardo.I admit to similar feelings of foreboding before the game - WBA hadn''t kept a clean sheet away and we hadn''t let a goal in at home from open play since Xmas - it just had to happen didn''t it?Very depressing!

Depressingly accurate Ricardo.

I have NEVER seen so many shots & crosses blocked. WBA just seemed to have much more nous than us,quicker, passed better, just better all round.

They made us look like a side made up from Championship players.

Which I think, basically, we are.

One question Ricardo, why were you expecting some sort of a change at half time?

We have been walking a tightrope all season. I was hoping we could keep our balance a little longer but it seriously looks like we will fall off just before the end. Hughton has proved a master at clinging on by his fingernails but you got the feeling that this afternoon was a bit of a "Worthington" moment. Will he make it until the last game? I don''t know but the odds have tilted against him today. Perhaps this time he really will be "gone by Monday".I won''t give up hope but if you can''t beat your direct relegation rivals you pretty much deserve to go down. Today was a disaster from start to finish.

Teams have sussed Hughton''s Norwich out. And that isn''t difficult. We''re boring and predictable, so deserve everything coming to us.

Roll on the Championship, whoever is in charge.

[quote user="Vanwink"]One question Ricardo, why were you expecting some sort of a change at half time?[/quote]Wes was making no progress and he seemed lost on the lefthand side. I would have had Redmond on at halftime because we seemed unable to get behind them. I know his end product is poor but anything seemed better than nothing.Bringing on Becchio was the last straw for me. Hughton was just rolling the dice but his luck finally ran out today. He''s been to the well many times this season so it was inevitable that the bucket would eventually come up dry.

Thank you Ricardo. I think once again I must agree with your statement "We seemed to have neither the guile nor the speed to do anything other than pass across the font of their defence and eventually lose possession when we ran into a blind alley."

We have been doing this all season with the damaging tactic of playing two inverted wingers.

Not only are the flanks unable to create anything but the tactic negates any possibility of meaningful through balls into the box from midfield as full backs are dragged in there as well as central defenders and deep lying midfield players leaving no space for forwards to work, This is especially so as our attacks lack any urgency or pace.

Depressing times............. and I am afraid there is only one answer.

ricardo wrote the following post at 05/04/2014 7:20 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

One question Ricardo, why were you expecting some sort of a change at half time?

Wes was making no progress and he seemed lost on the lefthand side. I would have had Redmond on at halftime because we seemed unable to get behind them. I know his end product is poor but anything seemed better than nothing.

Bringing on Becchio was the last straw for me. Hughton was just rolling the dice but his luck finally ran out today. He''s been to the well many times this season so it was inevitable that the bucket would eventually come up dry.

You.missed my point Ricardo, there were so many problems and I suspect every fan in the stadium was hoping for a change at half time, but a I doubt that many were "Expecting" one.

Pedantics but you get my point.

One thing I meant to add was Olsson''s fitness: I seem to remember reading that he had a long term injury (shoulder?) that needed surgery. Since having a stormer against Sunderland he''s not looked the same, & I''m wondering if it''s playing up.

Wes was able to tuck inside very effectively that game, obviously didn''t have that option today.

Thanks Ricardo, a great summary of the game as usual.

I was pretty positive that the team chosen would be what started to be honest and it was clear after just a few minutes that it wasnt working, and I wasnt surprised, and even though Wes was roaming a bit and regardless of him being out of his best position he just didnt cut it today (again!) like a few others didnt today either. We just didnt get in their faces like we did Sunderland and were not playing at a fast enough pace.

The minute Albion scored my heart sank because I felt there and then they had scored the winner, and that''s not how I usually feel but I did today as couldnt see us upping our game enough against the two banks of five who actually defended very well.  

Huge improvement required for next week and to be honest I really cant see us getting anything from Fulham,  

No other manager in the PL would have sent that same 11 back out in the 2nd half playing the same system. Good report and you are right, lose next week and we are down.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 05/04/2014 7:46 PM:

One thing I meant to add was Olsson''s fitness: I seem to remember reading that he had a long term injury (shoulder?) that needed surgery. Since having a stormer against Sunderland he''s not looked the same, & I''m wondering if it''s playing up.

Wes was able to tuck inside very effectively that game, obviously didn''t have that option today.

Don''t know whether you saw today Ron, but he went down holding his shoulder and looked to be in considerable pain, I thought he was going off there and then, he struggled on till being subbed. Shoulder injuries are notoriously hard to treat, hope he will be fit for Fulham, he was one of the few players that actually made some yards today.

As I have said earlier, when I saw the team , and some will see I predicted earlier this week no place for RVW, it proved to me that CH doesn’t really KNOW what to do next. CH fiddles and faddels, he makes multiple subs (when we are behind) he has no real idea what to do with his team, but he sets up players in the same shape and formation as ever, and basically, hopes that sees him through. As soon as it does not, (an old fashioned Plan B) he is lost.

Today CH was completely out thought by Mel. WB stayed in a narrow shape , clear and almost too obvious from the Barclay Upper. Our only forward moving players were our full back. Left alone until the ball went to them. Ineffective.

Howson – nailed to the half way line, is a forward THINKING  player, but not allowed to come forward  . We don’t see him in his full potential.

Hoolahan, in the cold for so long this season until his agent kicks up comes back in.  Square peg in the CH round hole. But we all pray he will work magic. He doesn’t, as most of us know, because the system CH employs doesn’t allow him to. WH, a legend among NCFC supporters has become a get out of jail card for CH, Sadly  CH is still firmly in jail.

And then, after a turgid, predictable show of the uninspired, and the unsuccessful, as an almost unbelievable show of ineptitude and hand wringing, the terrible trio bring on poor old Becchio. Of course this is done on 70 minutes. That’s  what managers do with no idea what to do next. I think LB touched the ball once. Because what CH forgot to do was tell the rest of the team to change, and pass forward higher , centrally and quicker to LB. But no, we still passed it across the back four , which bizarrely became a back 3 with the astonishing introduction of the pacey old boy that couldn’t get in the Newcastle team. No idea what he is called. Not interested.

City (with CH )  are down. We can take all of the pathetic “Little Norwich” fans with them, and those of us that really see what is happening can feel as terrible as I do tonight. There were 26,000 fans there today, and  the boos at the end show that most see what is coming. The 6 on this message board that we have all put up with all year can all band together and take comfort in being as unambitious in their lives probably have been thus far. Lets keep CH , because you can’t guarantee a positive change if you make one.

I am gutted this evening, and slightly embarrassed to be a Norwich fan.

This lack of pace in the team has been evident all season long, and Snodgrass has been the focus of that criticism from me at least. Interesting though that Redmond comes on, has one really good run - where he ran into Elmander deep in the WBA box - and then : nothing...... playing our snails pace tempo, the very least you''d hope for is that we''d be able to pass the ball - not only is that a reasonable expectation, it has for many years been "our style".

I''ve got to the stage I really don''t care anymore, the manager and players have picked up their big fat wage packets, and good luck to them, but can we please have our club back? Premier or Championship, either is fine, just please bring back the entertainment, passion and feeling we haven''t wasted everyone''s time for yet another Saturday.

I have to say, when the Redmond substitution was made everything was so predictable. Here comes Redmond to beat a couple of people, and either blast it, without scoring, or just do completely the wrong thing.

No change of tactics, just the usual like for like subs... then the Becchio sub which smacked of desperation from the management. A player who had been left out for 14 months hauled off the bench for 10 minutes in the hope he can save the day.

It is all looking desperate and while I still think we will get the points we need, sadly the management is showing just how little it has to offer anymore.

We never looked likely to breakdown a well organised WBA set up after we went a goal down. As usual Hughton''s press comments were typical of the man. He said he and the coaches will have to sit down and analyse the game and review tactics. Why cannot he show some managerial qualities during the game. How on earth could he not notice the following:

1) Most of Ruddy''s clearances went towards Snodgrass. I would estimate about 30. Snodgrass was beaten in the air virtually every time and we never made any progress.

2) Our only outlet seemed to be Bassong who it is blindingly obvious has little clue how to play a positive forward pass and has become a real ditherer. WBA were quite content to allow him to be fed the ball as they quickly realised there would be no impact.

3) As usual Snodgrass takes all the corners. Cannot recall any of them causing much problems for the visitors. No pace on the ball. Why not someone else to add a bit of variety and surprise.

4) In the secondhalf there were the odd occasions when we got to the byline. But none of the "strikers" showed much inclination to attack the ball - albeit as usual the final ball lacked quality.

Hughton tells a nice meaningless story every week but since his first game in charge I have never really rated him.

[quote user="vos"]3) As usual Snodgrass takes all the corners. Cannot recall any of them causing much problems for the visitors. No pace on the ball. Why not someone else to add a bit of variety and surprise.[/quote]I wonder if he''d deliver a better corner if he put his left hand up instead of his right?

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="vos"]3) As usual Snodgrass takes all the corners. Cannot recall any of them causing much problems for the visitors. No pace on the ball. Why not someone else to add a bit of variety and surprise.[/quote]I wonder if he''d deliver a better corner if he put his left hand up instead of his right?[/quote]there are kids in the norfolk and suffolk youth league u16 division 2 who deliver better corners than snoddy that is a fact [:D]

Ruddy to bassong to yobo to bassong to yobo to bassong...

At least we can keep the ball for prolonged periods. Just 10yards outside our own box. Nowhere else on the pitch...

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]

Ruddy to bassong to yobo to bassong to yobo to bassong...

At least we can keep the ball for prolonged periods. Just 10yards outside our own box. Nowhere else on the pitch...

[/quote]

I''m glad someone else spotted that, I was actually "Olaying" each time they passed it across to each other in the second half, unitl I got a look from the lady in front and a dig in my ribs by the wife!

I couldn''t take it anymore when Becchio came on and left early, beat the trafic and sat to watch Sky sports news with a nice cup of tea while listening to Suchy on the radio taking the calls!

Good report to the point at which I left and a shame that Hughton got hit with a clapper, really no need for that, even as much as I want him gone now.

I don''t usually post anything more meaningful than a few shirts around new-kit-time but today I feel I have to.

All I''ve been able to conclude in my post-match self-grumblings is that our main problems are in the psychological side of the game rather than technical; we know this group of players CAN do it, they just seem not to.

We lack urgency, conviction and aggression. It''s like the team haven''t been told what our last 5 games are, or are aware that relegation is a very, very bad thing. We don''t seem to have the collective mental strength to say ''we are going to stop you scoring'', and even less so to say ''we are going to score'' ourselves.

Bassong, for example, couldn''t have made a less aggressive attempt to stop their goal; it seemed enough for him to get near the ball and make half a leg movement when he arrived. That isn''t the defending of someone who knows a goal could be the difference of staying up or going down.

Agree with most of this. If that is all we can muster for such a crucial game game then relegation beckons. In which case why keep the current managment team unless it is to make sure they take full responsibility.

CH et al need to be relieved of their responsibilities tomorrow.

The hope that ten years of stability under CH will establish our club in the top league has been exposed for the paper tiger that it was feared to be by many. What a shame but please move on now.

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]

As I have said earlier, when I saw the team , and some will see I predicted earlier this week no place for RVW, it proved to me that CH doesn’t really KNOW what to do next. CH fiddles and faddels, he makes multiple subs (when we are behind) he has no real idea what to do with his team, but he sets up players in the same shape and formation as ever, and basically, hopes that sees him through. As soon as it does not, (an old fashioned Plan B) he is lost.

Today CH was completely out thought by Mel. WB stayed in a narrow shape , clear and almost too obvious from the Barclay Upper. Our only forward moving players were our full back. Left alone until the ball went to them. Ineffective.

Howson – nailed to the half way line, is a forward THINKING  player, but not allowed to come forward  . We don’t see him in his full potential.

Hoolahan, in the cold for so long this season until his agent kicks up comes back in.  Square peg in the CH round hole. But we all pray he will work magic. He doesn’t, as most of us know, because the system CH employs doesn’t allow him to. WH, a legend among NCFC supporters has become a get out of jail card for CH, Sadly  CH is still firmly in jail.

And then, after a turgid, predictable show of the uninspired, and the unsuccessful, as an almost unbelievable show of ineptitude and hand wringing, the terrible trio bring on poor old Becchio. Of course this is done on 70 minutes. That’s  what managers do with no idea what to do next. I think LB touched the ball once. Because what CH forgot to do was tell the rest of the team to change, and pass forward higher , centrally and quicker to LB. But no, we still passed it across the back four , which bizarrely became a back 3 with the astonishing introduction of the pacey old boy that couldn’t get in the Newcastle team. No idea what he is called. Not interested.

City (with CH )  are down. We can take all of the pathetic “Little Norwich” fans with them, and those of us that really see what is happening can feel as terrible as I do tonight. There were 26,000 fans there today, and  the boos at the end show that most see what is coming. The 6 on this message board that we have all put up with all year can all band together and take comfort in being as unambitious in their lives probably have been thus far. Lets keep CH , because you can’t guarantee a positive change if you make one.

I am gutted this evening, and slightly embarrassed to be a Norwich fan.

[/quote]

How about you name those six if you''ve got the balls Beardo. Blaming fans is about low as it gets. Classless. I''ve seen it more and more as the season went on but normally from the keyboard warriors and trolls. TBH having read this I''m embarrassed you''re a fan too.

If truth be told a lot of fans have over-praised our better passages of play in previous games and ignored the weaknesses. The WBA game exposed these weaknesses all in one game: the lack of passing ability, the over-reliance on crosses, the poor ball control, the poor tackling, the inability to rob the opponent and the lack of shooting ability.What''s excellent today would 20 years ago have been seen as merely reasonable. The false excitement at managing to scrap our way to winning a game of hoofball and the false hero worship of those who cannot pass a football has some on here scratching their heads as to why we''re now in this dreadful situation.The excuses are usually classic little old Norwich ones relating to

finances or about there being nobody remotely better than Hughton

available as an alternative (and for some reason they''d not want to

come to Norfolk).The confident one-touch passing of 20 years ago is a distant memory.

Apparently we can''t play like that anymore because we need to play an

old-fashioned and dour Germanic style to avoid relegation.