Sign in to follow this  
norwichyellow

Relegation=Clear out

Was listening to canary call on the iplayer and agree with a point made. If we get relegated and it still is an if . Could getting relegated and be a good thing by getting a clear out from top to bottom?

I think that its whats needed if the club want to have more ambition, think were capable of much more than fighting off relegation each year in prem which the current board have set the standards at, and also need a much better manager

Hughton & the coaching staff will certainly be gone. I''m not sure about board members, but as you say we were not at all ambitious this season with McNally saying if we avoided relegation that would be satisfactory or words to that effect..

I think the club expected us to finish near where we finished last season but our goals, pardon the pun, perhaps I should say aims, were not high. Expectations and goals are not the same. This attitude is mirrored in Hughton''s outlook - every club we play away is a difficult place to go to or a team with so many good players. Our team is always set up to defend first, as we seem more worried about the opposition than giving opposing teams something to worry about.

It seemed obvious to most of us in December that we would need to sign another striker in January, as the players we have we''re struggling to score, but no, who did we get in? A defender Yobo and a midfielder Guttierez, who are squad players and not definite starters. The last time we were in the Premiership our caution cost us, when we.left it too late before signing Ashton. This time it looks to have cost us again.

Whether it is Hughton''s fault 100% I wouldn''t like to say, but I think it''s a combination of management and coaching inability with the boards lack of conviction and real ambition. In this day and age a £8 million striker isn''t much to pay for a half decent striker but perhaps it''s pricey for someone who can''t score. I remember a British striker called Trevor Francis, he knew where the net was and he only cost £1 million and was the first million pound British striker, how times have changed.

Unfortunately I think we''ll go down now and I believe a new management team should have been brought in in December. I thought that at the time, as the writing was on the wall. I really hope we get some points from somewhere though and escape the drop, but Hughton & co should go anyway.

The management team have clearly demonstrated a complete inability to alter the course of a game once started, however with a strong enough team on the pitch it''s a weakness that can be overcome - so while I''d prefer NOT to have Chris Hughton and his crew next year, it could work out... what''s more important is the team composition.

Out of contract -

Yobo

Pilkington (likely to sign with Villa / West Brom)

Turner

Sell -

Ruddy (very unfortunate, but I think inevitable)

Whittacker

Bassong

Surman

Snodgrass (let''s pack him off to Celtic )

Ideally sign:

Byram

Wheater

Rudd

(Matthews)

Byram R.Bennett Wheater Olsson

(Martin) (Gafalti) (Tofolo) (Garrido)

E.Bennet Tettey Howson Redmond

(J.Murphy) (Johnson) (Fer) (J.Murphy)

Becchio RvW

(Loza) (Hooper)

"with McNally saying if we avoided relegation that would be satisfactory or words to that effect"

Early in the season Bowkett and McNally said that the objective was "continuous improvement" and that the target was therefore 10th.

"Pilkington (likely to sign with Villa / West Brom)"We have a one year option on Pilkington, which I guess we will take up in order to get a fee for him.

But I thought it was all Hughton''s fault, and the players are capable of oh so much more?Thats what people are telling me anyway.

Ruddy, Bassong, Yobo, Gutierrez, Fer, Snodgrass, Elmander will probably all leave.

Should imagine the likes of Olsson, RVW, Hooper, Hoolahan would all want to go aswell.

Fox, Turner, Tettey all out of contract

Bunn

Martin Bennett ? Garrido

Redmond Johnson ? Pilkington

Becchio ?

[quote user="morty"]But I thought it was all Hughton''s fault, and the players are capable of oh so much more?Thats what people are telling me anyway.[/quote]

Hooper aside. All our starting players yesterday are full internationals. You don''t play at that level if your a poor footballer. Which in my mind means that the players are good enough, it''s how they''re being played that is the problem

[quote user="cb"][quote user="morty"]But I thought it was all Hughton''s fault, and the players are capable of oh so much more?Thats what people are telling me anyway.[/quote]

Hooper aside. All our starting players yesterday are full internationals. You don''t play at that level if your a poor footballer. Which in my mind means that the players are good enough, it''s how they''re being played that is the problem[/quote]Yeah, those Irish and Scottish squads are real tough to get into[;)]

[quote user="Le Juge"]"Pilkington (likely to sign with Villa)"We have a one year option on Pilkington, which I guess we will take up in order to get a fee for him. [/quote]Pilks is clearly off at the end of the season. We might need to get him off the wage bill if we do get relegated...

[quote user="morty"]But I thought it was all Hughton''s fault, and the players are capable of oh so much more?Thats what people are telling me anyway.[/quote]The squad is certainly a lot stronger than Cardiff''s, Hull''s, Palace''s and Sunderlands, if that is what you are saying.That Hughton has always seemed to lack belief in the players and indeed the players themselves now lack any self belief is beyond doubt.

Who would want to buy Bassong has been relegated with 3 of his last 4 clubs and is useless.

Loanees will definitely leave.

Hoolahan might want to go but will be an asset in Championship.

Bunn out of contract this summer.

The other not good enough to find another club. Hughton has managed to make every player in the squad look worse and reduced any likely transfer fee.

[quote user="pete"]Who would want to buy Bassong has been relegated with 3 of his last 4 clubs and is useless.

The other not good enough to find another club. Hughton has managed to make every player in the squad look worse and reduced any likely transfer fee.[/quote]Bassong is an excellent footballer, just with massive concentration and complacency issues. He needs an experienced no nonsense player like Turner as a foil.Also he is not and never will be captain material.

Pilks came from Div 1 Huddersfield he will be one of those on lowest salaries and as signed by Lambo in first season in Prem likely to have relegation clause. Need to unload higher earners which will be difficult.

Some of the clear out will not be chosen by the club, as the few who are any good will be hunted as bargain signings by other clubs. Expect two or three to fall into this category at least, - possibly from Ruddy, Snodgrass, Fer, Redmond and Olsson.. One or two have been frozen out - Pilks and Becchio, for instance, and they probably want to go.

I wouldn''t expect us to bounce straight back into the Premiership, as there is too much team rebuilding needed. We also have some prmising youngsters who will be good enough for the Championship - Rudd, the Murphy brothers, and the various U21s out on loan. So what we have may determine who is likely to be pushed out.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="pete"]Who would want to buy Bassong has been relegated with 3 of his last 4 clubs and is useless.

The other not good enough to find another club. Hughton has managed to make every player in the squad look worse and reduced any likely transfer fee.[/quote]Bassong is an excellent footballer, just with massive concentration and complacency issues. He needs an experienced no nonsense player like Turner as a foil.Also he is not and never will be captain material.[/quote]

Bassong an excellent footballer??

An excellent footballer does not have massive concentration and complacency issues.

They also do not need anyone to constantly cover for them as you suggest Turner does.

My bet on the players that will look to leave are;

Bassong, Snodgrass, RVW, Ruddy, Hoolahan, Pilkington.

We could even lose Olsson and Howson.

If Hughton is in charge i would bet that he would try sign Yobo on a permanent!

]My bet on the players that will look to leave are;

Bassong, Snodgrass, RVW, Ruddy, Hoolahan, Pilkington.

We could even lose Olsson and Howson.

If Hughton is in charge i would bet that he would try sign Yobo on a permanent!

Also forgot to mention Tettey wanting out too!

To be totally honest I think the current squad and management setup would struggle to maintain mid-table championship with their attitude and predictable style.

[quote user="lharman7"]

Bassong an excellent footballer??

An excellent footballer does not have massive concentration and complacency issues.

They also do not need anyone to constantly cover for them as you suggest Turner does.[/quote]If Bassong didn''t have his concentration and complacency issues he would still be playing for a top 6 club.

only three need to goHughton and his two henchmenlet a new manager with a bit more of a positive approach run his eye over the squad and go from there

the biggest concern is NOT our supposed clear out, but if we are relegated who can we keep, even with tight contracts

Maybe higher than mid-tables, but I agree the style of play absolutely minimizes the number of chances we create, and in addition is stunningly boring... that has to change, so the ONE player I think we have to sell is Snodgrass... because if he''s still here, and CH is still here, he will then continue to play inverted wingers...

lincoln canary wrote the following post at 06/04/2014 8:00 AM:

Firstly if we go down the players owe us at least one season to get back up. Depending on who stays we potentially have a very strong squad.

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bennett Olsson

Snodgrass howson tettey Redmond

Becchio Hooper.

Not impossible that we can keep the players above.

Lincoln have you learnt nothing from this season?

Still set up a team with Snodgrass on the right and Redmond on the left!

The majority of our problems this season have come about by the manager''s insistence of playing two inverted wingers. The whole team seems to have to suit Snodgrass and he has flattered to deceive all season.

Yes, he is high up the stats table, but so would I be if I took all the corners, most of the free kicks and demanded the ball all the time.