Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Player ratings

Ruddy - 6 -compared to the ''international'' Foster''s kicking, he did ok

Martin- 3 - Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes

Yobo- 4 - Too casual

Bassong- 3 - Too casual, mistakes, didn''t close strikers down

Olsson - 4 - Didn''t push up enough or support wes, unfortunate slip for the goal

Hoolahan- 2 -Doesn''t matter if you drift inside, you still need to be able to pass and track back/tackle, woeful; this is why he doesn''t start every game.

Tettey- 3 - Didn''t put in enough tackles for what we would expect from him, passing was terrible, although imagine if Johnson was playing so could have been worse.

Howson- 4 - Didn''t do what he''s there for; to create opportunities,

Snodgrass- 5 - Worked harder than everyone as always, but needed to make more runs or get the ball into the box: did neither. Hit the bar (I think, or was it saved?)

Elmander- 3 - Tries as always but just isn''t good enough, we needed movement for the defenders and midfielders to aim for, but he just hasn''t got it.

Hooper - 5 - Nice touches, hit the post, some good link up play, but like Elmander no movement and thats why we didn''t create many chances.

Howson 4? Watch the game again. By far the best player in a Norwich shirt.

Although Howson had some nice touches, what did he really do? when tettey or our centre backs have the ball he didn''t get behind the lines. Its no good getting the ball in your own half with WBA in front of you. He never tried to get the game going enough, the same could be said for Wes and Elmander

Hughton 0. He is responsible for the performance of the team.

Howson was superb. Showed great energy throughout. Carried several players.

I blame him for the performance of the team, end of. He selects the team, motivates the players, chooses the tactics and manages the on field performance.

Bassong one of the worst today for me. Didn''t look too bothered about blocking the shot for their goal, kept getting out in silly positions doing silly things and arguably could have see red for a stupid reckless challenge in the corner.

Also will be interested to see if he''s picked up a knock given his very pronounced ''I can''t possibly track back I''m far far too injured'' jog during one of their later counter attacks.

Hmph.

[quote user="Vanwink"]I blame him for the performance of the team, end of. He selects the team, motivates the players, chooses the tactics and manages the on field performance.[/quote]

That last bit of your sentence is false, as in it isn''t true

Snoddy has the passion but also wants ALLL the glory. To selfish and to slow to react.Him and Bassong on the transfer list when the new gaffer arrives.

Bassong was the only defender who wanted the ball and the only one who tried to get things going.

Like that amasing long ball at the end?He holds possesion to much and pisses about with the ball. He is not captain material either.

He manages the on field performance and has the options to make changes during the game, he can change tactics, player positions, personnel, motivate the team and indeviduals before the game and at half time, he should know how to get the players performing at their best....he can''t do it.

GJP your Howson and Bassong tinted (if thats possible) glasses are becoming more and more clear to see!

I''ve agreed when you''ve said Bassong has received unnecessary stick - and whilst he did show some kind of willingness to receive the ball but he didn''t get anything going, he 9/10 passed it across to Yobo to get things moving.

As for Howson - he was nothing close to Superb. Best in the middle of the park, maybe - but won very little, misplaced several passes which is unlike him and often the passes he did make were the wrong one''s. He ran forwards a couple of times - that was by and large it.

[quote user="hogesar"]GJP your Howson and Bassong tinted (if thats possible) glasses are becoming more and more clear to see! I''ve agreed when you''ve said Bassong has received unnecessary stick - and whilst he did show some kind of willingness to receive the ball but he didn''t get anything going, he 9/10 passed it across to Yobo to get things moving. As for Howson - he was nothing close to Superb. Best in the middle of the park, maybe - but won very little, misplaced several passes which is unlike him and often the passes he did make were the wrong one''s. He ran forwards a couple of times - that was by and large it.[/quote]

Howson had a superb game - especially when you consider what was going around him. It was an energetic performances in amongst a lot of players who simply were not up for it. Now I''m not saying it was Howson at his best but you have to look at what he''s got to work with. How often did we see Howson and Tettey pick the ball up only to have nothing, absolutely nothing, to hit going forwards? Howson misplaced a couple of passes but how many midfielders do you get playing for Norwich City who NEVER give the ball away? Silly to hold things like that against him when he was basically propping the team up.

You''ve got to be realistic about it. Howson put in a hell of a lot of work for the team today and several of his team mates did not put in the same level - which has perhaps made it harder for people to see how good Howson was. But he was good. His team mates will know it but perhaps other people find it hard to appreciate how hard it is when you''re playing with so many others who aren''t at the races.

As for Bassong if you go back over the months to where people were describing him as "good on the ball" or "can play it out from the back" etc etc you''ll find posts from me saying "actually Bassong is not a great ball playing centreback". He''s not. And I don''t think his use of the ball was anything special today. But where I do give him credit is that he was the only one of the defence who WANTED the ball. That''s where I give him credit because he wasn''t hiding up. Other players were.

Getting a team talk from Bassong is like having a conversation with a Samaritan case. Another reason why it''s all falling apart.

[quote user="basil brush"]Getting a team talk from Bassong is like having a conversation with a Samaritan case. Another reason why it''s all falling apart.[/quote]

Said last summer Bassong didn''t seem like a captain to me but loads of people were calling for him to be captain.

Anyway, not his fault he''s captain. He didn''t appoint himself.

GJP, I happen to agree with you re Bassong. I didn''t have a big problem with him being captain at the start of the season as you never know if a player will step up to the plate - the manager should know - particularly as he''s closer to Bassong than the rest of the squad. It''s been abundantly clear that as soon as the going gets tough there''s no one for the players to look for. But stripping Bassong of the captaincy mid-season would have it''s own problems - killing confidence in who is, regardless of opinions on his captaincy - one of our best defenders.

As for Howson - I can''t agree today. Maybe I didn''t notice it so much in the grand scheme of things - I cant fault his work rate but I don''t think a single player was ''superb'' today - I wouldn''t even say Howson was good. He put in a shift. That was about it.

Ironically, on a day when we gave the ball away under no real pressure as many times as i can remember- I felt we needed Johnson on at half time - even if it was for Tettey, who was not only having a shocker and winning very little but was also on a yellow.

As I said before, you''ve got to factor in what was going on around him. If everyone else played as well as him today we''d have won.

But with so many poor performances around him he simply did the best he could. And that''s what made it a superb performance.

I acknowledged earlier that it wasn''t his best by his own standards but there was very little more he could have done without a few of his colleagues stepping up to help him out.

[quote user="GJP"]Bassong was the only defender who wanted the ball and the only one who tried to get things going.[/quote]

You are having a laugh aren''t you. All he does is pass it sideways had slow up the play

May I suggest u watch rugby

[quote user="alartz"][quote user="GJP"]Bassong was the only defender who wanted the ball and the only one who tried to get things going.[/quote] You are having a laugh aren''t you. All he does is pass it sideways had slow up the play May I suggest u watch rugby[/quote]

The point I was making (which you''ve missed) is that he wanted the ball. Not that he did anything great with it.

He wanted the ball, he tried to make things happen. There wasn''t a lot of that from his colleagues.

I agree that Howson actually had a decent game and it was clearly Tettey and Wes (although not a "2") who were the problem and I too was hoping for Johnson to come on at half time, which would have forced Howson forward, seemed obvious but the management missed it.