Sign in to follow this  
flecky76

Away fans party

Any tit bits garnered from this evenings knees up?

I''ll get the ball rolling by saying Olsson had a shoulder injury but didn''t want to come off.

And McNally was very down this eve - surely he wouldn''t walk if we went down?! I hope note.

Olsson has had that injury for a while now, so if it''s effecting his perfromance where the hell is Garrido?

Ok, so none of the players really wanted to be there this eve. All seemed on their knees, and rightly so to be fair.

The opposite of a celebratory lap of honour or open top bus tour? We''ll this is it.

Snodgrass was the last player out to his credit. Pilks will be off in the summer, that no doubt.

Claderdash and Trollope cut lonely figures there this eve.

I presume Hughton didn''t make an appearance?How much player/fan interaction was there? I can imagine that the club would try and shield the players from fans today.mpp

Majority of players were there. Hughton was there pretty much till the last. Most people queuing to speak to CH.

Fair enough, he didn''t duck being there.

Didn''t go but have been many times before when I used to make most of the away games. The players and manager wouldn''t duck it. It''s Delia''s show to thank the fans. Unbelievable to think sometimes when reading this board but Delia, McNally, Hughton, the players and the fans are all on the same side.

I''m given to understand Hoops and Wes were notable absentees and McNally thinks we''ll stay up.

Nutty, you are correct that I didn''t see Hoops or Hoolahan there.

Publically, McN took to the mike to say we are not going down.

A more private conversation with him did not mirror that persona, that''s all I would say.

If I were a betting man, there is a realistic chance both manager AND chief exec could be replaced over the summer if relegation ensues.

"McNally thinks we''ll stay up"

Would you expect him to say we expect to be relegated Nutty?

McNally thinks we will stay up! I had him down as a pragmatist, Nutty, not one of the terminally deluded.

In fairness though he can hardly say anything else, even if he thinks otherwise!

[quote user="flecky76"]Nutty, you are correct that I didn''t see Hoops or Hoolahan there.

Publically, McN took to the mike to say we are not going down.

A more private conversation with him did not mirror that persona, that''s all I would say.

If I were a betting man, there is a realistic chance both manager AND chief exec could be replaced over the summer if relegation ensues.[/quote]

Bet that private conversation didn''t say we were going down. I think you''re probably being unfair to the guy in suggesting it.

Anyway, how was Delia?

Reassure me Nutty they we are going to be fine and there''s nothing to worry about,I''m feeling a little jittery tonight after what I witnessed this afternoon.

Nutty, McN made sure he didn''t give too much football talk away, but believe me, he was down and his face told a thousand words. He seemed defeated to me, but maybe that''s just my impression rather than hard facts. He did say that the formation last week at Swansea was wrong.

I can''t reassure you Inchy. We have 5 games to get enough points to survive. What I do know is we won''t get any by giving up.

Flecky, of course he''s down. If you''ve ever worked under pressure maybe you can understand how down he must be. And then to have to come and chat to people who, not all but in a lot of cases, think they know how to do his job better than him. It''s the stuff of breakdowns!! But he''s paid handsomely for it.

Anyway, how was Delia? Can''t think of any other club where the owners would care enough about the fans to put on a party like that.

Yes I agree nutty.

I do see that at a football club, all people must be mentally strong as we have 27000 managers watching our work each fortnight.

My work can indeed be stressful - Yet I really don''t think I could have thousands having a negative view of me each week and still being able to focus on my job.

Must be incredibly difficult, but that is their profession of choice I guess. And they''ve all been players, so someone like Hughton has grown up in that profession for many many years, so public opinion should be something that is sewn into him by now.

Flecky, they do cope with it but I couldn''t. The one who has all my admiration is Delia. Because she isn''t even paid. In fact she pays for the privelege of being abused. I''ve been sat near her at away games and seen fans shouting abuse their faces contorted rage and hatred. Some call it passion I guess. But it must be so hard for her as someone who quite possibly cares more about the club than most of her abusers. That''s why I keep asking you how she was tonight? I always had a chat with her at those parties.

I didn''t speak to her tonight nutty.

She was there, but was sat at a table with her family so people tended to leave her alone. And rightly so this eve.

I often like to take a step back in these times and realise that people are heros when things are going well, yet scapegoats when the opposite.

In reality, Delia, MNally etc are probably doing no different to when the good times rolled. Yet their own popularity is solely dictated by on field successes, which is largely out of their hands.

[quote user="Moosheep"]I presume Hughton didn''t make an appearance?How much player/fan interaction was there? I can imagine that the club would try and shield the players from fans today.mpp[/quote]He was there[Y]

Delia would never be aloof with the fans Flecky. Probably the most remarkable woman I''ve ever met. She will have been as devastated as anyone after the game. Then by five o''clock she will be ready to move onto the next game. Whether it''s Exeter in League One or Man Utd in the Championship. When it comes down to it that''s all any of us supporters can do. I''m lucky enough to know dozens of devoted fans but none more devoted than her. Perhaps we should put Wynnie, Delia and her mum in charge for the next 5 games!! [;)]

Feel a bit for McNally too but to be fair he''s handsomely paid for the grief. If Hughton pays with his job he will get a nice paid up contract. But whatever happens just like in 2009 the owners and us supporters will be there next season hoping for success.

Anyway, I''m off to bed. Night Flecky let''s hope we somehow gather enough points to survive[S]

Hoops and Wes weren''t there as they were doing a post match drugs test.

Hoots was there with a minder and he didn''t duck anybody or anything, felt really sorry for him.

McNally was down, and hinted a few things about team selection.

The Wolf was a lonely figure, a really nice guy and Pilks seemed to make no effort to talk to anyone.

One thing is for sure all the lads will be at Colney today for training!

hurricane wrote the following post at 06/04/2014 8:03 AM:

Pilks pretty much gone in the summer by the sound of it.

No big loss really.

What a NICE little club we have! Maybe we can all enjoy more contact in the conference, when they dont get luck with a Lambert type appointment this time. Chris Hughton should have been taped up, put in a box and posted somewhere far away to make sure he does not return till after the next 5 games. I hope they were all down, the fact Hughton was there with them is the reason. Christ did anyone tell them this.

Putting everything else aside you''ve got to respect players, managers and owners turning up and facing supporters like that after a defeat like yesterday''s.

And as for Hughton, whatever else his faults, I have never seen him retaliate against supporters. The Club could learn about respecting fans opinions from him and the players on how to keep your own counsel.

Hopefully, the event made some reparation for frankly disgraceful scenes reported at and after the game. But I say that also blaming the Board for allowing things to fester through inaction.

But as Nutty said there is no point in giving up with five games to go, we have to keep fighting and first and foremost we have to change the mentality.

As I said a while back, it''s too late to consider jHughton''s future now so we have to go with what we''ve got and the least the fans can do is try to lift themselves and the players.

I love a fight against the odds, let''s turn it around and say bring it on. Otherwise we could be in for some painful experiences before the season is out. If we go down let''s do so kicking and screaming.