Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Scouting Thoughts - How to give Norwich the best chance of winning

This is the midfield and forwards that started v WBA:      Elmander Hooper Wes                    Snodgrass       Tettey HowsonA major problem was the lack of pace and movement to create some space going forwards and Howson not making tackles or tracking opposition runs.Have a good look at the following selection for the midfield and forwards and I will explain why it is the best option that we have at the moment:         Hooper       Snodgrass Wes          Redmond      Jonas TetteyThe key is to create a lot of movement in the final third with overlapping runs and swapping positions to create spaces, chances, and penalties whilst also making us better at tracking opposition runs from midfield.A) Play Hooper up-front with Snodgrass playing in support given a free role. They have been the main goal threats and have shown good signs of linking-up well together. Snodgrass has often played in that position for Leeds Utd and Scotland.  B) We need Snodgrass to be looking to win more set-pieces in dangerous areas. Giving him a free role will help achieve that and to help make him less predictable. If possible I would rather Snodgrass was in the box when we have a corner rather than taking the corner.C) When Redmond plays on the left, the opposition right-back often tucks-in closing the space between the defenders as Redmond often cuts inside from very deep positions. However, if we play Redmond very wide on the right then the opposition left-back comes across further which will help to create more spaces between the defenders for others to exploit.D) Martin - Giving Snodgrass a free role in support of Hooper and having Redmond on the right will mean that Martin can concentrate on his defending and so not get caught-out time and again.E) Wes should play as he did against Sunderland (cutting-inside going forwards to create movement and exploit the space between the right-back and right-sided central defender) rather than going too deep and losing the ball as he did against WBA.F) Jonas did very well playing on the left of central-midfield for Newcastle Utd. Defensively he is better than Howson (who often fails to track-runs from the opposition midfield), is better on the ball than Johnson, and is effective at creating chances. Another major advantage is that when Olsson goes forwards (and Wes cuts inside) then Jonas would be able to cover the left. Jonas could also take some corners so that Snodgrass can be in the box.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]This is the midfield and forwards that started v WBA:      Elmander Hooper Wes                    Snodgrass       Tettey HowsonA major problem was the lack of pace and movement to create some space going forwards and Howson not making tackles or tracking opposition runs.Have a good look at the following selection for the midfield and forwards and I will explain why it is the best option that we have at the moment:         Hooper       Snodgrass Wes          Redmond      Jonas TetteyThe key is to create a lot of movement in the final third with overlapping runs and swapping positions to create spaces, chances, and penalties whilst also making us better at tracking opposition runs from midfield.A) Play Hooper up-front with Snodgrass playing in support given a free role. They have been the main goal threats and have shown good signs of linking-up well together. Snodgrass has often played in that position for Leeds Utd and Scotland.  B) We need Snodgrass to be looking to win more set-pieces in dangerous areas. Giving him a free role will help achieve that and to help make him less predictable. If possible I would rather Snodgrass was in the box when we have a corner rather than taking the corner.C) When Redmond plays on the left, the opposition right-back often tucks-in closing the space between the defenders as Redmond often cuts inside from very deep positions. However, if we play Redmond very wide on the right then the opposition left-back comes across further which will help to create more spaces between the defenders for others to exploit.D) Martin - Giving Snodgrass a free role in support of Hooper and having Redmond on the right will mean that Martin can concentrate on his defending and so not get caught-out time and again.E) Wes should play as he did against Sunderland (cutting-inside going forwards to create movement and exploit the space between the right-back and right-sided central defender) rather than going too deep and losing the ball as he did against WBA.F) Jonas did very well playing on the left of central-midfield for Newcastle Utd. Defensively he is better than Howson (who often fails to track-runs from the opposition midfield), is better on the ball than Johnson, and is effective at creating chances. Another major advantage is that when Olsson goes forwards (and Wes cuts inside) then Jonas would be able to cover the left. Jonas could also take some corners so that Snodgrass can be in the box.[/quote]

Wes Hoolahan is not a left midfielder or winger. He hasn''t the pace.

He didn''t go too deep and the reason he was losing the ball is because West Brom played very narrow cutting the space for our wide players to thread any through balls.

Put Snodgrass on the left and Redmond on the right.

This would have stretched West Brom and cut off our wide men from coming inside which makes things even narrower!

[quote user="lharman7"]

He didn''t go too deep and the reason he was losing the ball is because West Brom played very narrow cutting the space for our wide players to thread any through balls.

This would have stretched West Brom and cut off our wide men from coming inside which makes things even narrower![/quote]The problem with your suggestion of Snodgrass staying wide on the left and Redmond wide on the right is the poor quality of crosses, that we also lack strength to win crosses in the box when playing with only 1 striker, and not having much in the way of central midfielders making runs into the box.My suggestion is to give Wes, Snodgrass, and Redmond the flexibly of changing positions to create movement between them with Hooper as the striker staying more central higher-up the pitch.

the disturbing thought is that this is not a spoof as with LDC, of an obssesive saddo living in Norfolk or the wiz spoof who wonderfully plays the part of a homophobic mysogynist with a patholgical hatred of NCFC........ ................ but it is realthis poor young lad actually believes that we believe what he is writing

[quote user="tom cavendish"][quote user="lharman7"]

This would have stretched West Brom and cut off our wide men from coming inside which makes things even narrower![/quote]The problem with your suggestion of Snodgrass staying wide on the left and Redmond wide on the right is the poor quality of crosses, that we also lack strength to win crosses in the box when playing with only 1 striker, and not having much in the way of central midfielders making runs into the box.My suggestion is to give Wes, Snodgrass, and Redmond the flexibly of changing positions to create movement between them with Hooper as the striker staying more central higher-up the pitch.[/quote]

I agree with the poor quality of crosses but surely playing those players in the right positions will see more deliveries into the box and with there being more deliveries i would assume more chances to score.

I don''t buy into the whole ''light weight'' striker comment. You only have to watch the you tube clips of both RVW and Hooper to know that this was there bread and butter.

Tell me why Howson, Hoolahan or Elmander can not make late runs into the box for crosses? And how the opposite winger can not do the same to support the lone striker?

I understand where you are coming from but we are not Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool. We don''t have the funds to attract the calibre of players to perform adequately the flexible 3 attacking midfield roles. I wish we did.

We have to play to our strengths and imo your way isn''t the right answer. It is only my opinion though!

Now then Mr. Cavendish as you are known throughout the UK network of managers and scouts ( and possibly Europe for all we know [:P] ) why bother posting this on here when surely you can pick up the phone or e-mail anybody at Carrow Road or Colney and give these  gems of wisdom and expertise preferably before Saturday in order that you may be heralded as the saviour ? [;)]

I''m not even sure it is due to poor quality crosses.  The problem is when Snod and Redmond do have the opportunity to cross, they cut inside onto their preferred foot. By the time any cross actually arrives, the defense is set, and finding a NCFC shirt is even more difficult.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]I''m not even sure it is due to poor quality crosses.  The problem is when Snod and Redmond do have the opportunity to cross, they cut inside onto their preferred foot. By the time any cross actually arrives, the defense is set, and finding a NCFC shirt is even more difficult.[/quote]you take this stuff seriously !dearie me

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]I''m not even sure it is due to poor quality crosses.  The problem is when Snod and Redmond do have the opportunity to cross, they cut inside onto their preferred foot. By the time any cross actually arrives, the defense is set, and finding a NCFC shirt is even more difficult.[/quote]

There was a prime example (at least one) yesterday, whe Snoddy was on the right in acres of space, ideal for a right foot cross.  He  waited for the defender to come to him and then did what he always does - turn to the left.  By the time he did that there were two defenders on him and no cross came in.  On another occasion - the same thing, this time he did get a right foot cross in, but only after he had waited for the defender to come to him again, tried to beat him and eventually got the cross in - and the cross was  cut out easily as the early cross chance was missed    He didn''t learn from Martin, who when Snoddy passed it to him on the overlap Martin put in a first time cross - which went very close to being a goal chance.   If Martin can do it - why can''t Snoddy?  It infuriates me that he doesn''t seem to learn that on the right wing that sometimes you have to put the ball in without a second touch - even if it is on your weaker foot.   It makes a nonsense of the inverted winger role imo, if your right winger can''t deliver a decent first time cross with his right foot - yet your defender - whose main job is to defend - can.  

On the left it is great when Olsson gets forward because you know that he will cross it early when it can be done with purpose.  Yesterday he was terrific again - but had to work way too hard as he had little support on the left.   If only we had had Gutierrez or Redmond on from the beginning we would have been more of a threat on the left, as the combination of a decent left footer and Ollson provides us with a threat down the left.   I said in the match thread that WBA would have been able to see the Sunderland set up and would react to that - and they did.   That we had the same set up as the Sunderland match was good in some ways, but it just didn''t work yesterday.

LDC,As you noticed, Hughton seems to like the tactic of Snodgrass being high up the pitch on the right and stopping to play the ball to Martin.As you rightly say there was an occasion when it nearly worked but for the most part it rarely ever has so far this season because Martin has often wasted the ball.I think it would be more effective to have Redmond wide on the right linking with Snodgrass (given a free role in support of Hooper).Wes would then run from deep on the the left going between their right-back and right central-defender so creating space for Hooper in the centre. Olsson could then get forward towards the left to keep the right-back occupied. Jonas could then cover the left-side from a counter-attack, Martin doing the same but towards the right, with Tettey between them.That would give us a lot of good movement to create space going forwards but also help to protect us from counter-attacks.In general terms, going forwards would be like this (in comparion to the opposition back 4 in bold text):    RB   CD   CD   LB       WH    GH   RS   NR  MO           JO       AT       RM               SB     JY                  JR