Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

That's why football means so much!!

Last night was definitely one of the very top highlights of my approx. 35 years supporting the Yellow Army. The last few mins. in particular were awesome - awesome in disappointment when they equalised then just sheer bewilderment when the header went in. I was standing screaming at the ref. from the kick off to ''blow the ....... whistle'' whilst some of the old guys in Block K looked half asleep! The reaction of the players said it all - sheer unrestrained joy - they totally deserved it - fantastic effort.

No other sport can come close to matching this kind of thing. That is why we all troop down to Carrow Road (or away) every week for the hope of that kind of experience.

Just outside the Jarrold an old boy was receiving first aid - probably suffering from a heart attack during that madness. Hope he''s ok.

I still think though that the highlight for me was listening to the full Radio Norfolk commentary of the Wolves away play off in 02. I have NEVER been so tense as that. When the final whistle went I ran out on to the main A140 in Long Stratton and jumped around with the old yellow and green on, got some strange looks I can tell you! I was 45 at the time as well - can you believe that !    

In terms of actually watching a City game though it has to be that  incredible night against Bayern. I don''t think that can ever be bettered. Remember the TV shots of Fat Man just after the final whistle? He simply could not grasp what was happening and hadn''t got a clue how to deal with it. The rest,as they say, is history.  

Will we survive? As I have said in earlier posts, I don''t think so. if not, Worthy MUST carry the can. We ALL know that Shacks and Safri and possibly Helveg as well should have been played MONTHS ago. Forget the two injuries, they only accounted for the period early Jan - early Feb. for Safri and early Jan - mid March for Helveg - WHAT ABOUT THE REST OF THE SEASON?        

yellow rider, did you by any chance attend long stratton sec mod school all those years ago, or were you one of the "brainy" ones who passed the 11 plus and went to diss grammar or wymondham college? i had 5 years education at the sec mod between 1969 and 1974. it probably shows in my standard of english, but never mind!

Yellow, last night was agony and ectasy encapsulated in the space of 20 minutes. Listening to the radio commentary over CanariesWorld as Waller counted down the minutes left to play only Kluivert to pop one in and have it looking like it was all over. Then for Helveg to pop that cross into the box for, what is becoming, a trademark Ashton header. That was something else!!!

The other thread maligning poor Holt is out of order. At the time I thought Worthington was making a sensible substitution. Lock up shop with 20 minutes to go. Irony of ironies, Newcastle then score. Not poor Holt''s fault however.

If this keeps up it''s not inconceivable that we really could pull off the great escape.

Was watching the Chelsea game (just for something to do !!) and kept looking at the minutes counting down. They started at 8 so was adding time and thinking "must be finished, must be finished". As soon as the "Infobar" came up  I knew it was trouble and so it proved.

Flicked back over to Sky Sports News and began moaning at the missus. She of course knows absolutely nothing about football but told me to keep positive, there was still time. I of course told her not to be so stupid but then...........................the presenter started gabbling something about "is he the bargain of the season" and "lets go over to Carrow Road"...................

and you all know the rest....................Fan-bloody-tastic and we''re still in with a shout.

I''ve told my nipper (Pompey season ticket holder) that they must win on Sunday, if we can do our bit on Saturday we really are in for a finale.

I don''t get to FCR much but for all of you that do go, please make it a "wall of sound" from start to finish. Doesn''t matter whether we''re 2-0 up or 2-0 down, just keep the noise going and I''m sure we can do it.

OTBC (and Play up Pompey for Sunday !!)

Mark .Y.