Sign in to follow this  
Kathy

Our best ever signing?

Do you think Deano is this clubs best ever signing or is it too early to say yet? I know we thought Hucks possibly was last season, but great centre forwards are a rarity and expensive. There have been some notable good signings in the past for example Martin Peters and Ted McDougall, but at the level we are competing at now Dean Ashton possibly surpasses them all.

[quote]In my time he has got to be the best player since Chris Sutton.[/quote]

Agreed Stevenage.  Deano is the most naturally gifted player since Sutton.  IMO he is an awesome signing and we must keep him for a long time

If someone offered me any other striker currently playing in the preier for our run-in, i''d choose Deano above them all.

Some may say that''s me being biased, but i really can''t see any other strikers who i feel will score every game. Henry possibly, but anyone else? I think not.

A fantastic signing, and a living legend if he gets the goals to keep us up.

16 from 4. It''s on the cards.

Not sure about best ever, but I think our best recent signing is Gary Holt. What did he cost, about 100,000? And he transformed our team, from soft-touch makeweights to play-off contenders. Those who are slagging him off at the moment should be ashamed of yourselves. It''s fine to say he shouldn''t be in the team (he certainly wouldn''t be in mine), but the grief being directed at one of the most influential City players of recent times - who always gives 100%, even with a broken ankle or a lungfull of blood -  is totally unacceptable. You''ve got short memories, guys. Last night we beat a team containing Alan Shearer and Patrick Kluivert. Apart from Huckerby, hard to think of a player who did more to get us on the same pitch as those guys than Gary Holt. The man''s a legend.

But Ashton is certainly the best player the club has had since Sutton, and possibly even better than him. Can''t believe someone else didn''t snap him up.

otbc - Deano must stay

Steve Bruce was a great signing, didn''t know much about him before he signed and I''m sure he scored an own goal in his first or second game but a great player for us until Man U tempted him away (probably after Kenyon met him in a hotel somewhere - oh how sweet it is to see them kopping the same sort of thing as they''ve done to other clubs over the years..................       Rio Ferdinand - chance meeting, my a-se !!)

Anyway, you''re right Deano COULD turn out to be the best yet.

Mark .Y.

PS Why do I have to have my posts "approved" first, some gimp from Crystal Palace comes on here and writes what he likes and I have to wait for approval    

[quote]Do you think Deano is this clubs best ever signing or is it too early to say yet? I know we thought Hucks possibly was last season, but great centre forwards are a rarity and expensive. There have bee...[/quote]

The way he is playing he will be soon!

Hate to state the obvious, but... only time will tell. It must be said that the signs are extremely promising. if his goals keep us up it will be a financial gamble that pays off big time. £3million is a lot of money for us, but on current form it looks like money well spent.

otbc 

huckerby was a great signing as he helped us on our way to the prem. But Ashton could be the man who keeps us there. However neither can take all the credit for those two jobs as it was the team together