Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

Do we have a leader in the team?

McNally has finally decided the time is right for a change (what''s happened to the old "outside the bottom three" criteria by the way?). Given that the club has decided to use the tried and tested "appointment from inside" route, the need for a leader from within the playing group is likely to be our only glimmer of hope.

From everything we have seen so far, that person is neither of the two individuals carrying the captains titles at present. We need one of the team that has peer respect, to rally the players in the coming week and to be inspirational on the field on Saturday. That is a tall order given the level of individual performance of late but I seem to recall that not only did we asset strip Leeds of their key players but also, two or three of their incumbent captains.

I guess McNally left himself with no time to bring in one of the people he told us he would always be aware of as a managerial appointment.

Let''s hope that somehow they can drum up some spirit from somewhere.

"the need for a leader from within the playing group is likely to be our only glimmer of hope"beg to differthere is more than a glimmer of hope.. and taht is not dependant upon a leaderwhat we have seen is a squad that can play, but only when they are playing in direct contradiction to Hughton''s preferred style - remember the game against Evertom when Hughton admitted they had played against what he wanted ... and they wonfreed from his stifling and flawed tactics I think they will flourish - they are pros and you don''t get to this level if you are not personally motivated.. or get signed by us eitherI think it will be more of  case of Adams getting the players together and let them air their grevances, watch a video of the WBA game and let them point out what they think went wrong then work on motivating them for Saturdayif he can get half the spirit and self belief that Lambert''s teams had there is every chance of them keeping us upbut I still wonder if it may be a game too late

I don''t agree that a leader isn''t needed. Look how we used to play without Holt in the team compared to when he was there.

Hoping someone like Snoddy or Martin will step forward

Howson for staters, Martin too. Hopefully Snodgrass will be put on the bench, and so won''t be a candidate.

I don''t think Snodgrass would make a good leader. Too much personal ego.Now I know a leader needs an ego - look at Holt. But he also needs to be able to suppress that ego for the general good of the team. Which Holt did. And I don''t think Snodgrass can do.

"I guess McNally left himself with no time to bring in one of the people

he told us he would always be aware of as a managerial appointment"
Why would any manager worth their salt want to walk into this club and take the credit for Hughton''s relegation?Why would Lennon forfeit his bus top title parade and end of season party for a relegation on his CV for example?A caretaker was our only option, and appointing somebody who already knows the players and has worked with the players, seen them train and understands the politics behind closed doors is the right choice for the interim.

Any relegation in these circumstances would in no way damage the reputation of whoever manages the last five games (especially when the opposition is considered). I think any relegation will always be firmly attached entirely to Chris Hughton and McNally.

So any appointment could have been for the immediate impact over these next five games, yes, but with a view to continuing in the future also.

Had that been the case, we would not be saddling somebody with the task who has absolutely zero experience of managing/coaching in this league or at this level. I just can''t see anything in Neil''s playing or post playing career that will command respect from the team. The decision to unload Chris Hughton was a reluctant one which was obviously delayed for too long and the new appointment is on the back of a panic attack. As has been said by many, the whole thing draws so many parallels with historic behaviour, Gunn being the stand-out example.

For me, Hughton did what he thought was best and would never have resigned. The real villain in what''s happened is McNally and the rest of the board.

But we are where we are and can do little but back the team in the hope that a near miracle can emerge in the coming weeks.

Rus Martin, it has to be or John Ruddy, the only candidates !!Snoddy is to petulent and selfish and I dont think Howson seems ready.