Sign in to follow this  
BarclayWazza

What this means for our season and why it was the correct decision.

Our season now boils down to 1 game. Fulham on Saturday. Fulham win and they''re 2 points behind us with 4 to play. We know our chances of picking up points from those 4 are remote. Win and we''re realistically safe.

This is why this is the correct move. Under Hughton our players have looked devoid of motivation and ideas away and this crept into the home game on Saturday. This move gives us at least some kind of chance for next weekend.

I''ve remained convinced that someone is lined up for next season anyway (my money is on Di Matteo) so whether you''re an inner or an outer, now the most important thing is the team. Draw a line under everything and support the team.

The final straw must have been the sabotage-like subs he made yesterday. We finally were taking over the game, getting real scoring opportunities, and he yanks Hoolahan. We never came close again. The subs after that stank of desperatdesperation.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]The final straw must have been the sabotage-like subs he made yesterday. We finally were taking over the game, getting real scoring opportunities, and he yanks Hoolahan. We never came close again. The subs after that stank of desperatdesperation.

.[/quote]

I wish I was watching the same game as you as to me it never looked like we were taking over the game. West Brom had a game plan and it worked brilliantly. We had no idea how to break them down and no plan B.

Wes was as ineffective as the rest of the team yesterday unfortunately. Play him in the correct position, have players making the correct attacking moves and then we''ll see him really impact a game

Did you miss the first 20 or so minutes of the second d half? It was like the Cardiff home game except we were getting good shots on target.

That''s when he decided to make substitutions? He should have done so at the half or let the game go as it was, but taking out Wes who was creating, and leaving in Tettey and Howson who did much of nothing up to that point was suicide.

I was at the game so yes I saw the second half, and it was nothing like the Cardiff game. We were not attacking constantly with purpose or making their goalie make important saves. We were passing the ball around the back 4 and trying to find a way through a very organised west Brom side that executed their plan well - but the truth is we let their plan look far more effective than it should''ve been as they''re not that good!

I love Wes but what clear cut chances did he actually create? I actually agree he should''ve stayed on in a different formation (diamond ideally as he would''ve had 2 strikers to play to) but my point was at no point did I think we were controlling the game. Foster was clearly off his game as his kicking proved time and time again but we failed to properly test him (unlike Marshall against Cardiff).

As has been said before, the game stunk of an away performance. We had no creativity and no plan B. Yes we improved slightly in the second half but that wasn''t exactly difficult.

I bow to your viewpoint as you were there. From tv land, and according to the guys calling the game, the Wes sub was about the only one that shouldn''t have been made, and as for us having taken control, we had something like 70% possession and some good opportunities including two framework hits.

It''s hard to see if the overall picture seems ineffective from a tv screen, though, so maybe the possession was not as effective in real life as it seemed on tv.

Becchio looked like he could have caused some damage if the crosses were a tiny bit lower, but I guess nobody making them has spent much game time with him. What say you to that, KO?

But Houston the guys calling the game are always fawning over Wes regardless of how he plays.....and even on my TV he was having a mare, and it was far away from the Cardiff City performance, not least because Albion were much better and very well organised and Cardiff were a shambles and badly organised.

Ah you pulled out the possession stat, about as much use in this argument as me saying I know better because I was at the game (which I didn''t by the way - chill man).

Obviously (though not to you) once West Brom scored they were going to sit back and invite us to try and break them down. They had what they wanted and then set about protecting it. Our 70% possession or whatever it was, was mainly across the back 4 and back again, occasionally to Snoddy or Wes who then failed to create much of note then onwards.

In what way did Becchio look like he could cause some damage if the crosses were lower?? I remember him touching the ball twice. He didn''t seem to know when to jump as was always coming back down when the ball actually got anywhere near his head. The fans got what they wanted (the reception he got for coming on was ridiculous and I''m sure the guy himself is embarrassed by it all) and the whole time on the pitch was a non event.

[quote user="BarclayWazza"]Our season now boils down to 1 game. Fulham on Saturday. Fulham win and they''re 2 points behind us with 4 to play. We know our chances of picking up points from those 4 are remote. Win and we''re realistically safe.

This is why this is the correct move. Under Hughton our players have looked devoid of motivation and ideas away and this crept into the home game on Saturday. This move gives us at least some kind of chance for next weekend.

I''ve remained convinced that someone is lined up for next season anyway (my money is on Di Matteo) so whether you''re an inner or an outer, now the most important thing is the team. Draw a line under everything and support the team.[/quote]

I don''t agree about the last four games all being no-hopers. Right now I would back us to get something at home to Arsenal.