Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Do we need to beat Fulham?

OK, so we all want a win, but would just a draw be enough? Say we lose all of our last 4 games, but pick up a point against Fulham. This will stop them winning, maintaining our 5 point advantage. they are one of the few teams with a worse GD than us, meaning they would need 6 points from their final 4 games - two wins, or one win and three draws. Their last four games are: Tottenham (a) Hull (h) Stoke (a) Palace (h)

If we can avoid being beaten by them, do we think theyre likely to get 6 points from that? Dont see Cardiff or Sunderland coming back at this stage so it would seem to be all about Fulham. Could just a solitary point against them keep be enough?

imo we need to win because i can''t see us getting that much points in the last 4 games. Sunderland have games in hand and if we lose to fulham, then they''ll only be 2 points behind

I would say we need to win a game before the end of the season if we draw on Saturday. But forecasting results of others is proving impossible.

Nice to see you''ve changed your sig[Y]

We need to win, Fulham need to have the wind taken out of their sails, the points difference and a defeat by Norwich would finish them off.

I''d take a point, but then I think w''ed need another from one of the last four games as I do see Fulham winning two... and we''ll see what Sunderland do tonight. I''ve always thought we''d need 4 points...(36)

Adams has to build confidence in a fearful,demoralised squad. The best way to do so is to win. A win would also virtually ensure our safety.

Would a draw be good enough? I doubt it. Apart from leaving us a point or more to get from the best four clubs, the fellow relegation candidates are are showing some signs of improvement. A single point would be just too tight, especially with out goal difference likely to get even worse.

We need to sink Fulham. No question. 35 points should just about be enough to stay up, but I think we can probably get 1 one more point off Arsenal as they continue to implode.

I think Cardiff are going down. If Sunderland lose tonight at Spurs, I think they will be down as well. So that leaves one more place, probably between us and Fulham.

A win almost certainly keeps us safe. A defeat in my view sends us down. A draw is the tricky one to call, because it leaves us needing something from the last four games. As I said in another thread, I can see us getting something from Arsenal at home, but I wouldn''t want us to be in a position where we had to rely on it.

So, in order to ease the pressure (not to mention my blood pressure) yes we do need a win against Fulham.

It is exciting! I am surprised at how much of a cloud appears to have lifted especially as rumours emerge about the negativity at the club. Play with freedom and we may even get that big win that has eluded us since WB away.

So are we all assuming West Brom (on the same points as us) have saved their season and will win another game or two?

Even Swansea could still falter.

I think we have to beat Fulham, as others have said they and Sunderland and Cardiff all still look like they believe.. and that''s what we seem to have lost - hence hughton getting sacked.

Football is brilliantly unpredictable - we could even see one of the bottom 3 leap ahead of us and be replaced by any one of WBA, Swansea, Palace or even Villa, leaving us still in 17th!

Now the negativity has been quelled, a win and a draw should be enough to stay up. Exciting times indeed and feels like a weight has been lifted. So let''s really give it some volume when we play Fulham!

The factual answer is no, but the reality is it will make survival a whole lot easier.

Ask me a tricky one :-)

I think we have to try and win. Unlike hughton would have. However a draw would not be the end of the world. This would maintain the 5 point gap (Sunderland results going our way) meaning the table would look better.

The flowing weekend a defeat for Fulham at spurs would mean whatever our result we would still have a 5 point gap with 2 games to go.

Pressure would now be on Fulham to win both. Plus we may just beat a pressures title race side or even more so an arsenal with possibly nothing to play for in the league but with a cup final the week after!!

A draw would not be the end of the world.

A win would be fantastic.

Come on Neil!!

Whilst I agree we should try to win the game, Im not sure we should turn up the intensity and start calling it a must win game. The players seem to have buckled under the pressure a number of times this season, dont think they are as mentally strong as Lambert''s team. Im not sure ramping up the pressure is what they need. This is different to playing for a draw. Tell them to go out and win, but dont make them so scared to make a mistake they cant play, which is what I fear has hapenned all season. We could release the pressure on the boys by not making out this game is sh*t or bust. Maintaining the 5 point gap and then working hard not to stuff our GD in the final 4 games could be enough. Encourage them to win, but its Fulham who should be feeling the pressure. Id suggest doing to them what they did to us 10 years ago. Know that theyre going to have to come at us, and ruthlessly pick them off on the counter. Id have Olsson and Redmond on the wings for exactly this reason, play fast direct counter attacking football, with them cutting it back to RvW and Hooper. Put the pressure on them, not us

Not sure we can rely on Spurs for much. Tonight will be a good pointer to their intent for the rest of the season.....