Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Hughton gone. Adams in.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]That''s relegation nailed on.  Board has lost its nerve.   Hope you are all happy with that.[/quote]

Your comment, IMO, sums you up perfectly based upon words out of your own mouth, as it should be.

[/quote]

My instant reaction.  If you look later on, I wish Adams well.  It certainly looks like a desperate measure.   If they were going to sack Hughton this season, it should have been after the 7-0 !

[/quote]

Fair enough, but if you are as positive a person as you believe, and as you like to share on this forum so often, then your instant reaction should have included the positive aspect immediately like so many others rather  than, "That''s relegation nailed on." After all that''s what positive people do. They look for the good that can come out of something.[/quote]

My instant reaction was what I think.   I don''t think it will work. That''s not being negative or positive - its what the realism of the situation says to me.    To be positive there has to be a reason to be positive - I don''t think this is a reason to be positive, but I''ll still wish him and the team well and hope by some miracle it works.

[/quote]

Lakey, I am not debating this with you for the sake of arguing, simply to point out you have changed your attitude. In almost all of your earlier postings you have ALWAYS said there is a reason to be positive in approaching the next match, regardless of who we are playing, and you didn''t believe in negativity. I agree with that. There are many who have previously doubted our ability to climb the table based upon what they believed to be their "realistic assessment" of the situation. You have repeatedly frowned on such thoughts. It seems to me that you want your cake and eat it. 

With respect to the next match it is now up to the players to play up to their ability. My personal belief is that win, lose or draw we will see the players demonstrating an attitude completely different to what was on show yesterday. We will see. For much of this season it is my view that the team increasingly lost their belief in their ability to move forward and score goals. That''s not likely to change significantly for the last 5 games given what we have to face. However, I want, as I''m sure all Norwich fans do, to see the players "giving it a go."

lake district canary wrote the following post at 06/04/2014 9:49 PM:

SeattleCanary wrote:

lake district canary wrote:

Different manager, same players.

Or.... Different manager, different system, different tactics, different mentality.

You can''t change things overnight. The best thing that can happen is that the change has a positive effect on the players. Changing too much else would be the last thing on Adam''s mind imo.

Well it looks as if you have finally got it LDC. A positive effect on the players is exactly what we want and that mindset is often the difference between winning and losing.

I think you may have got there by default but well done anyway.

Well taken literally you can change a hell of a lot overnight. Actually Adams doesn''t need to change much. You yourself LDC have argued that things were getting better. I disagree but if you were right then Adams just needs to harness that little bit of confidence and get those guys fizzing. We have some very capable players, maybe now Bassong for instance might just feel reinvigorated rather than hoping the season would end. You need to revector your positivity which you got a lot of stick for towards the new regime. Or some may label you as inconsistently obtuse which would be unfair.

Will we ever know which board members wanted Hoots gone a long time ago and those who wanted to keep him "Doomcaster like''

Adams is a qualified coach, talks a good game and was impressive with the youth cup winning side.

Trivial I know but he actually talks well on t''telly and doesn''t bore you to sleep!!

Fulham: "Haha, Nowich. We just beat Villa and now we''re sky high with confidence. You''re coming to our place on Saturday and we''re going to beat you and stay up."

Norwich: "Sh*t. We''re going down"

Fulham: "Yes, yes you are. And we''re staying up!"

Norwich: "Oh, by the way, Fulham, we thought about this all last night and this afternoon and, well, we''ve just sacked Chris Hughton. New manager bounce and all that..."

Fulham: "Oh f***!"

Norwich: "Indeed. So, we''ll see you Saturday, then"

Fulham: "Bugger!"

The one thing I expect is that Adams will know how to play a winger properly and provide service for a striker. It was his game after all. New captain probably too. Excitement before a Norwich match.........it''s been too long.

Interesting development this... glad to see the back of Hughton nice guy notwithstanding, we have made huge steps backward and while the timing is a bit mental I welcome Adams in for the short term even though it smacks of the Gunny situation... time will tell - nothing to lose  no more and everything to gain.OTBC

Appointing a new manager from outside the club could have ended up the same as when Hughton first walked into the club ie no real knowledge of the club or what had gone on previously. Hiring someone more senior like calderwood or Trollope wouldnt have instigated change. Adams is probably the right balance, not so close to Hughton as to be blinkered by his approach or mixed feelings of loyalty, but fully aware of whats been going on over the last 2 years. Probably knows exactly what he''s going to change, will probably hit the ground running tomorrow morning. Probably the right appointment. Good luck Neil, everyone will be behind you and the team! Set them free...

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Brienne"]Why wont it work LDC?

What are the reasons?[/quote]

The only hope is that a burst of positivity or optimism can give the team a lift at a vital time. It could work, but the chances are it won''t - imo.  Why?  Because Snodgrass will still dither. Hoolahan will still give the ball away.  Redmond will still be inconsistent.  RVW and Hooper still won''t get the service.  The defence will still look shaky and the midfield weak.  I hope I''m wrong.

[/quote]

Even with this list of faults, you have remained adamant that Hughton was the right manager.

The thing is. . . how well does Adams know the players ? And how well do they know him ? They will probably not be interacting on training ground as much as we would like

Wasn''t something I was expecting on a quiet Sunday night!

Very late in the season but after yesterdays horrible scenes at Carrow Road things couldn''t continue as they were!

To me this proves that Hughton was going in the summer but after yesterday the board felt that enough was enough!

End of the day whatever anyone thinks of Hughton we finished higher under him than we did under the "messiah"!

Although the appointment of Adams seems very "Gunnyish" like someone earlier said hes a fully qualified coach with a background in it!

Shame, I hoped CH would succeed. Decent bloke and had the club at heart. But over the past few games it looked, for whatever reason, like we were sleepwalking into relegation. We''ll know in five games whether NA''s appointment was the answer but in football, as in business, if you continue doing the same things you get the same results. Let''s hope this change stops the rot. Thank you CH and now let''s all get behind NA and pray ! Sad to say but I think NA will give us a bounce and let''s hope he can prove all the national pundits wrong.

Ludicrous decision.

Turns out we were wrong in thinking that with McNally the board had adopted a much more professional approach.

This is blind panic, and although we might get lucky, if we go down it will be just what we deserve.

[quote user="Lynn Canary"]The thing is. . . how well does Adams know the players ? And how well do they know him ? They will probably not be interacting on training ground as much as we would like[/quote]
He won''t have been working with them day in and day out, but plenty of the senior players were there cheering on the U18s in last season''s Youth Cup success. They may not know him personally, but they will be aware of who he is and what he achieved with that team. That warrants a bit of respect. Plus he''s a good bloke, he will have the players onside immediately, but he is also much more positive and a much better motivator than Hughton.
He will know the team very well, I have no doubt he watches near enough every game. 

Imagine if we show much more attacking invention on saturday, somehow get a result and RVW scores...Would feel very, very reminiscent of Gunns Barnsley game. Also I haven''t felt optimistic or excited for a Norwich game in a very long time!

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Different manager, same players.

[/quote]

Yep. But it''s about how you get them to play that matters. Hughton had many of the players at his disposal that Lambert had but they didn''t play as well under the former as they did the latter.

Adams will bring inspiration and passion to the dressing room.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"] That''s not being negative or positive - its what the realism of the situation says to me.    To be positive there has to be a reason to be positive - I don''t think this is a reason to be positive, but I''ll still wish him and the team well and hope by some miracle it works.[/quote]
Are you f*cking serious??? What reason is there to be positive about being 17th and the performances we have witnessed? I''m delighted. Thank f*ck he has gone! Maybe it is too late, but at least I hope to see Neil gee them up a bit and instil some confidence getting them to apply some effort in the games now.
He used to impress me on Canary Call and i loved hearing his views. It''s time to let a former legend, and outfield player (I can''t think of any goalie''s who made great managers) be Mr. Norwich City and put right where the disjointed strangers have gone wrong.
We just need to beat Fulham, by hook or by crook.
[/quote]Agree with Seattle that there had to be a change. What have we got to lose other than a couple of million compensation ?Beating Fulham now sounds much more '' do-able '' even if we haven''t beaten them since 1986.Regarding goalies turned manager Mike Walker did a pretty tasty job here first time round but I''d agree they''re pretty thin on the ground.

From an outsider looking in, staggered at the timing of the sacking. Norwich''s problem could be that each team they have to play has something at stake and something to fight tooth and nail for. Relegation without bouncing straight back up could cost the club up to £60m. Could Norwich suffer that? How many players would they have to let go/keep? Can the club suffer such losses? Is 35 points enough to stay up? Good luck