Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Hughton gone. Adams in.

Again, this is 1995 all over again.

Deehan replaced by Megson (who was then a player) on a temporary basis with 5 games to go.

We only picked up a point, though that wasn''t Megsons fault at that time.

Right decision but at the wrong time. Any change in manager should have happened towards the end of last year.

With 5 games to go its a tough ask for anyone to come in and make a difference. Sure there''s the mythical bounce that occasionally occurs with a new manager but Adams has got one hell of a task.

Has anything been said about Calderwood?

Sorry for Chris. But I think something happened with the players on Saturday; I can''t really imagine why they put in such a consistently poor performance throughout the team - it''s their careers on the line as much as Hughton''s.

God knows if we can do it now. It really is up to the players now, up to them to show they have The Right Stuff.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]That''s relegation nailed on.  Board has lost its nerve.   Hope you are all happy with that.[/quote]

Your comment, IMO, sums you up perfectly based upon words out of your own mouth, as it should be.

[/quote]

My instant reaction.  If you look later on, I wish Adams well.  It certainly looks like a desperate measure.   If they were going to sack Hughton this season, it should have been after the 7-0 !

[/quote]

Fair enough, but if you are as positive a person as you believe, and as you like to share on this forum so often, then your instant reaction should have included the positive aspect immediately like so many others rather  than, "That''s relegation nailed on." After all that''s what positive people do. They look for the good that can come out of something.[/quote]

My instant reaction was what I think.   I don''t think it will work. That''s not being negative or positive - its what the realism of the situation says to me.    To be positive there has to be a reason to be positive - I don''t think this is a reason to be positive, but I''ll still wish him and the team well and hope by some miracle it works.

My blood has run cold, not so much that CH has gone, that much looked a foregone conclusion after yesterday, this seems like Norwich of old to me.

This really is not the sort of decision making process either Bowkett or McNally are synonymous with, far from it in fact.

Perhaps if a bit of an old warhorse like Warnock is wheeled out to support Neil Adams then it might make a bit more sense but it seems like a monumental gamble to me.

We left the ground yesterday and followed the Chairman, to say he had a look that was ''medieval'' does it no justice at all, beyond seething.

[quote user="flecky76"]Again, this is 1995 all over again.

Deehan replaced by Megson (who was then a player) on a temporary basis with 5 games to go.

We only picked up a point, though that wasn''t Megsons fault at that time.[/quote]

That thought has run through my head... but adams has managerial experience (albeit at youth team level) and he has won a trophy as a manager (again albeit the FA youth cup). megson had no experience at all

Adams doesn''t have to "manage" as such. The time for coaching is gone. He needs to pick a team, formation and get tehm pulling together. For 5 games it is achievable. The rest of the role can go on hold. One win, nick the odd draw and he''s done. No gamble here, we were down this time yesterday. Now there is some hope.

[quote user="Brightside"]Has anything been said about Calderwood?[/quote]Calderwood and Trollope both gone too.

All we need is short term success. Hughton was a beaten man and had clearly lost the players. If they respond with one performence and win Saturday then it has worked. However this works out we were dead under Hughton, after what I have seen lately I doubt we would have got another point

Adams doesn''t have to "manage" as such. The time for coaching is gone. He needs to pick a team, formation and get tehm pulling together. For 5 games it is achievable. The rest of the role can go on hold. One win, nick the odd draw and he''s done. No gamble here, we were down this time yesterday. Now there is some hope.

This ^^^

Spudgfish you have now got me reading and rereading the official statement over and over again.

Agree there is nothing there to say this is a caretaker appointment. All the talk is about the remainder of this season which certainly led me to read it as a temporary appointment. Also no talk about building the team, club into the future.

But if it is a permanent appointment it does put a whole new complexion on the appointment. From a roll of the dice to a massive roll of the dice!

I guess we will not know for sure until the press conference tomorrow.

The chants did for him. Once that sort of thing starts and gets taken up by more than a handful you know its the end of the line. Seen it happen with Megson, Roeder and Worthy and a few others and it''s never nice to see.4.45pm Saturday was the defining moment. It was like a light switch being turned off. I''ve heard it a few times before and it signals the death rites for any manager. Up until that moment I thought he would make it to the end of the season but you can''t buck "events". We all knew it and even CH must have known it.

[quote user="Brienne"]Why wont it work LDC?

What are the reasons?[/quote]

The only hope is that a burst of positivity or optimism can give the team a lift at a vital time. It could work, but the chances are it won''t - imo.  Why?  Because Snodgrass will still dither. Hoolahan will still give the ball away.  Redmond will still be inconsistent.  RVW and Hooper still won''t get the service.  The defence will still look shaky and the midfield weak.  I hope I''m wrong.

I''m not bothered that he''s gone. In fact I''m quite pleased at the prospect of possibly watching some good football from Norwich, but some of the gloating is pretty vile.

Someone just lost their job, and while he''ll be financially rewarded for that with a payout, it''s still not a nice thing to happen. Some people need to display a bit more class.

It''s a few steps away from people dancing in the street to celebrate the death of Thatcher.

FenwayFrank wrote the following post at 06/04/2014 9:32 PM:

Might be a while before the clappers get another airing

Get them out for Liverpool and we could have a new manager for Chelsea!

Well, you all got your wish and Hughton has gone.

May be the move that saves your season. You need one good result, against Fulham, to pretty much send them down and see you safe.

My guess is that your board figured that the best chance they had of winning was to have a different voice in your dressing room for next weekend. Kind of shows you how important the board believes this next game is going to be.

It looks like a game that will decide where Norwich City are playing their football next season.

I think, if nothing else, that sacking has now wiped the smile of all them Fool''em fans who were probably rubbing their hands after their Villa result and believing that they could turn you over and escape going down.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Brienne"]Why wont it work LDC? What are the reasons?[/quote]

The only hope is that a burst of positivity or optimism can give the team a lift at a vital time. It could work, but the chances are it won''t - imo.  Why?  Because Snodgrass will still dither. Hoolahan will still give the ball away.  Redmond will still be inconsistent.  RVW and Hooper still won''t get the service.  The defence will still look shaky and the midfield weak. 

I hope I''m wrong.

[/quote]

What on earth makes you think Adams will pick the same team to play in the same way!

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Brienne"]Why wont it work LDC? What are the reasons?[/quote]The only hope is that a burst of positivity or optimism can give the team a lift at a vital time. It could work, but the chances are it won''t - imo.  Why?  Because Snodgrass will still dither. Hoolahan will still give the ball away.  Redmond will still be inconsistent.  RVW and Hooper still won''t get the service.  The defence will still look shaky and the midfield weak.  I hope I''m wrong.[/quote]

What on earth makes you think Adams will pick the same team to play in the same way!

[/quote]Different manager, same players.

John wrote the following post at 06/04/2014 8:38 PM:

Regardless of what any one says i believe with every fibre of my being Hughton would have failed to keep us up, the attitude of the players (taken out of the context that we''ve become far too accustomed to) was unequivocally defeatist. They had inexcusably resigned themselves to defeat, that much was abundantly clear.

The situation was in desperate need of some sort of catalyst to rectify it and instil some passion in the side.

Adam''s will be aggressive in his chance to save a club he is so closely affiliated with, and will for better or worse be a marked difference to the passivity of Hughton''s regime. In that alone i find it easier to reconcile myself with the current state of the club, even if it doesn''t save us... At least we''ll go down with someone fighting for the badge.

Yep

Oh boy where to start with this one....

Well firstly having the fans on board is critical, we can''t have a repeate of the last 10 minutes of yesterday, it benefits the team in no way what so ever, and that was going to probably be the scene that greeted us if we had stuck with Hughton in the last matches. Unity is critical and as Ricardo and others have pointed out once that switch goes it''s almost impossible to recover from.

In Adams we have an interesting character, and it would be naive to write him off as a Gunn like for like, if he wasn''t a former player I doubt many would be quick to jump to that. He has his coaching badges and has been doing wonders by all accounts with the youth... He''s no marketing manager have-a-go-hero.

We need 3-4 points to stay up, a flash in the pan could provide that. Heck if we have to talk about Gunn at least he provided a 1 game bounce and in this case that would be enough.

I think that this a calculated gamble, but a gamble. The players need to go out and attack, we need the lambert never say die attitude, you score we will just score more attitude. We have a great squad of individuals who have under achieved massively it''s time for a response. Hopefully Neil can be the man to get it. One thing I don''t doubt is that the fans will be completely behind him at the cottage.

[quote user="lake district canary"] That''s not being negative or positive - its what the realism of the situation says to me.    To be positive there has to be a reason to be positive - I don''t think this is a reason to be positive, but I''ll still wish him and the team well and hope by some miracle it works.[/quote]
Are you f*cking serious??? What reason is there to be positive about being 17th and the performances we have witnessed? I''m delighted. Thank f*ck he has gone! Maybe it is too late, but at least I hope to see Neil gee them up a bit and instil some confidence getting them to apply some effort in the games now.
He used to impress me on Canary Call and i loved hearing his views. It''s time to let a former legend, and outfield player (I can''t think of any goalie''s who made great managers) be Mr. Norwich City and put right where the disjointed strangers have gone wrong.
We just need to beat Fulham, by hook or by crook.

To all those moaning about the selection of Adams: no top manager would have signed for us given our position and the number of games to go. Arguably Hughton should have gone earlier but we are where we are. Hughton''s position was untenable after Saturday.

I''m not sure we could have got anyone better than Neil Adams for these final vital games but we could certainly have got a lot worse. Adams the winger will not send the team out to play as Hughton did. In all the circumstances I think the Board has made the right decision. Now we''ll see the players for real - one way or another.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Different manager, same players.

[/quote]
Or.... Different manager, different system, different tactics, different mentality.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Different manager, same players.[/quote]
Or.... Different manager, different system, different tactics, different mentality.
[/quote]

You can''t change things overnight.  The best thing that can happen is that the change has a positive effect on the players.  Changing too much else would be the last thing on Adam''s mind imo.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="lake district canary"]Different manager, same players.[/quote]
[/quote]

You can''t change things overnight.  The best thing that can happen is that the change has a positive effect on the players.  Changing too much else would be the last thing on Adam''s mind imo.

[/quote]
What about playing players in their strongest positions for a start? We were going down, and at a whimper to boot. I''m delighted, whether we go down or not at least next weekends crucial game has been given the best possible boost.