Sign in to follow this  
It's Character Forming

I Back the Board

I think the Board have made the right decisions at the key points in our season, including the decision to sack Hughton

Last summer it was the right choice IMO to keep him, the team was looking more solid than under lambert and finished comfortably so rather than roll the dice by changing it made sense to back CH to develop the team.

After the Man City game it was a tough call whether to keep him but again I think it was the right choice and he seemed to steady the ship with a good run, especially with no convincing alternatives available.

Since Christmas our form has become more erratic with some good home performances but declining form away. If CH could have got things moving in the right direction he would have been ok but instead we went from unfortunate away defeats like WH to dispirited away performances like Soton and Swansea, and on Saturday our home form went the same way which was the killer.

On Sunday I was thinking it through and came to the conclusion that while it is still completely possible to save our season - we are 5 points above relegation with 5 to go and one win is all it would take- unfortunately under CH I couldn''t see the players getting the result we need.

So I think the right call now. With 5 games, it is all about NA getting the players motivated, we know he''s a competent manager from his youth team success, there is no time to bring in someone from outside.

Unquestionably it''s a gamble but there was no safe choice given where we are as of 5pm Saturday. I think it''s the right choice by the Board to roll the dice. But it''s certainly going to be the most nerve wracking few weeks for our club for years

[quote user="Its Character Forming"] it''s certainly going to be the most nerve wracking few weeks for our club for years[/quote]

It always was going to be that. It was always going to be a fraught end

to the season whoever was in charge and whether Hughton had been sacked

in November or January or yesterday, it doesn''t change that.    It seems

now as if a great weight has been lifted from everyone and I hope that

transmits to the players, but to me it has been about everyone holding

their nerve.  Maybe Hughton had lost his nerve under the pressure and

the team selection at Southampton suggested that.   Maybe the players

had lost their nerve under the pressure too. 

We have Adams

in charge now and if we lose on Saturday we are still going to need that

nerve against L''pool and Arsenal, as well as the away games.    The

situation has not changed. We still need the players to get those points

to keep us up and they are still under pressure to get them.   Nerves

of steel are required - and keeping the  positivity going, now that it

has arrived, is the most important factor.

No, Waveney is just another passionate Norwich supporter whose opinions you (and often I) don''t happen to agree with.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Its Character Forming"] it''s certainly going to be the most nerve wracking few weeks for our club for years[/quote]

It always was going to be that. It was always going to be a fraught end

had lost their nerve under the pressure too. 

We have Adams

[/quote]

The situation has changed. Its called optimism!

The board get my support especially after taking my advice Saturday night![;)]

[quote user="lharman7"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Its Character Forming"] it''s certainly going to be the most nerve wracking few weeks for our club for years[/quote]It always was going to be that. It was always going to be a fraught end

had lost their nerve under the pressure too.  We have Adams

[/quote]

The situation has changed. Its called optimism![/quote]    I know that - I meant the situation hasn''t changed in terms of what the team have to do in terms of points.   Optimism can''t change that.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

So is it ok to back the board now[:^)]

Or have you all suddenly grown a forelock...

[/quote]

Yes to both.

[quote user="Wiz"]The board get my support especially after taking my advice Saturday night![;)][/quote]Was it a long phone call and could you tell if Delia was in tears.[:D]

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

So is it ok to back the board now[:^)]

Or have you all suddenly grown a forelock...

[/quote]

Yes to both.

[/quote]

Nice to have you on board..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So is it ok to back the board now[:^)]

Or have you all suddenly grown a forelock...[/quote]

I don''t think it''s his forelock he''s been tugging.......

[;)]

lharman7 wrote:

lake district canary wrote:

Its Character Forming wrote:

it''s certainly going to be the most nerve wracking few weeks for our club for years

It always was going to be that. It was always going to be a fraught end to the season whoever was in charge and whether Hughton had been sacked in November or January or yesterday, it doesn''t change that. It seems now as if a great weight has been lifted from everyone and I hope that transmits to the players, but to me it has been about everyone holding their nerve. Maybe Hughton had lost his nerve under the pressure and the team selection at Southampton suggested that. Maybe the players had lost their nerve under the pressure too.

We have Adams in charge now and if we lose on Saturday we are still going to need that nerve against L''pool and Arsenal, as well as the away games. The situation has not changed. We still need the players to get those points to keep us up and they are still under pressure to get them. Nerves of steel are required - and keeping the positivity going, now that it has arrived, is the most important factor.

The situation has changed. Its called optimism!

I know that - I meant the situation hasn''t changed in terms of what the team have to do in terms of points. Optimism can''t change that.

Optimism can change that. The players as well as the fans will have optimism. The players optimism could lead to hope. Something they have been lacking in abundance under the former regime. That hope could transfer out onto the pitch against Fulham.

LDC -  I meant the situation hasn''t changed in terms of what the team have to do in terms of points. Optimism can''t change that.

lharman7 - Optimism can change that. The players as well as the fans will have optimism. The players optimism could lead to hope. Something they have been lacking in abundance under the former regime. That hope could transfer out onto the pitch against Fulham.

No. You miss the meaning.   We need points - and the amount of points we need has nothing to do with optimism.   Optimism and positiveness may help us get  points, as you say, but optimism doesn''t change the factual amounts of points we will need to stay up. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]LDC -  I meant the situation hasn''t changed in terms of what the team have to do in terms of points. Optimism can''t change that.

lharman7 - Optimism can change that. The players as well as the fans will have optimism. The players optimism could lead to hope. Something they have been lacking in abundance under the former regime. That hope could transfer out onto the pitch against Fulham.

No. You miss the meaning.   We need points - and the amount of points we need has nothing to do with optimism.   Optimism and positiveness may help us get  points, as you say, but optimism doesn''t change the factual amounts of points we will need to stay up. 

[/quote]The biggest difference is that we have 5 games instead of 2 to survive. Under Hughton we seemed to suffer travel sickness. Look at how great we made a Swansea side struggling for points look the other week. Under Hughton we would of suffered 3 heavy away defeats for sure. The most worrying thing was that the saturday home one looked similar. At least under Adams we may have a chance on the road. It was a complete No brainer for the board. A result Saturday would be a massive on the road start!

I have wanted Hughton gone for months now but it has clearly been left way to late , Adams has virtually no chance of keeping us up as Hughton has wasted all the winnable games .I believe the sacking has been made now so supporters cannot have a go at the Board for doing nothing when the inevitable happens in a few weeks time .Glad he''s gone , but its not going to change anything .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]I have wanted Hughton gone for months now but it has clearly been left way to late , Adams has virtually no chance of keeping us up as Hughton has wasted all the winnable games .I believe the sacking has been made now so supporters cannot have a go at the Board for doing nothing when the inevitable happens in a few weeks time .Glad he''s gone , but its not going to change anything .[/quote]

I think that''s rubbish. We need 2-3 points from 5 games. It''s completely doable,

If Adams fails, do you seriously think the Board won''t get masses of flak? If so can I have some of what you''re on?

They will still get plenty of flak yes , but nowhere near as much as they would have got if Hughton was still in charge . All we need is 2 -3 points , yes but where are they coming from ? Fulham will be more up this coming weekend than they have all season as they can almost taste survival if they beat us , add to that its a bogey side for us 3 meetings 2 defeats and a draw so far this season .Man Utd or Chelsea away , come on really ? , Liverpool who are beating all before them and on course for the title , no way .Arsenal may be a slight chink of light if 4th place is already settled , but even if we get the unlikely win 3 may not be enough if we have already lost to Fulham .No i think the change has been made because deep down the Board know we are gone now .

And who would have expected Palace to beat Chelsea? We are not doomed yet. We will probably be going into the final game needing something against Arsenal - but don''t forget, we beat them last year. There are always odd results this time of year - if we could all predict perfectly, we would be cleaning up at the bookies.

Exactly. And the thing is that we only need one win, or a couple of draws, from any of those 5 games. Who''d have bet on us to beat spurs or draw with ManC?

Fham may be up for it but you can bet our players will also be, in a way they wouldn''t have been if Hughton had still been here. That''s why the Board made the change.