Sign in to follow this  
Account Closed

CH Sees Us as a Small Club

That explains to me his philosophy whilst here from day one.Defend us from a bashing and grab what is offered.Explain to the supporters and team alike how great the opposition is and how inadequate we all are.We are here by fluke, out of our depth  and mere survival will be a monumental feat of achievement.I believe it was either  me or General Montgomery who once saidOutstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it’s amazing what they can accomplish. They have the capacity and the will to rally men and women to a common purpose and the character which inspires confidence.

Iv always felt this was the big problem. Very little knowledge of the club before he walked in, and most likely came with some real pre-conceptions. Didnt seem to appreciate the 3 years that had gone before him and the direction the club had moved in, that results were obtained through belief and mental strength, galvanised by the crowd. I felt he instantly looked at what he''d inherited and said ''not good enough''. His first season seemed to have, ''backs to the wall is the only way to keep this shower up'' written all over it. Whilst I didnt agree I was willing to accept it, as I thought once the team had been built in his own image, the masterplan would be revealed, but it only got worse. If last season was transition, I dont know what this season was supposed to be.

He took a bunch of players who had gotten where they were by having belief instilled in them and being encouraged to satisfy their hunger and to prove themselves and dismissed them. Perhaps this bred a culture of defeatism. Who knows. Iv always felt that Hughton never believed in his boys to be able to go toe-to-toe with the rest of the league, and this was reflected in his tactics.

Still, the time for bitching is over, he''s moved on, and so should we.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="City1st"]is that a poem ?[/quote]

No more than your posts are prose.

[/quote][:D] Sharper than my secateurs.

I totally agree with the OP. Belief and motivation are one half of the battle. We used to have that, which went some way towards making up for our lack in quality. And it''s something that Russell Martin mentioned on Canary Call apparently.. and maybe to the board?